So long and thanks for all the fish

H

Hayesimus

I wonder what the reaction would be if I said I was leaving for good. (Crowd comes to a halt, all bug-eyed. Chris starts pushing me toward the door. "Well, hate to see you rush off, thanks for stopping by..." Slams door, locks door. Crowd exhales a sigh of relief. Daily New Thread average plummets....) lol. I know ya'll would miss me.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wonder what the reaction would be if I said I was leaving for good. (Crowd comes to a halt, all bug-eyed. Chris starts pushing me toward the door. "Well, hate to see you rush off, thanks for stopping by..." Slams door, locks door. Crowd exhales a sigh of relief. Daily New Thread average plummets....) lol. I know ya'll would miss me.
You play a key role in the community that is EIC, so I certainly would not be pushing you through the virtual door.;)

H

Hayesimus

Oh I was only teasin, I realize my place in the group. Its the same as in real life no doubt. I'm the talker, the socializer, the friend to almost everyone. I mean I even tried to help Depthnerd avoid getting himself banned! :p I realize that I may have some unorthodox methods, but the back-and-forth comradery help the EIC grow and stay active. On the flip side, x999x or x666x(if I am correct in remembering they are the same...) has been more than helpful with technical modding issues to more than a few people in this forum. So, it is disappointing to lose such a valuable member. I really hope he prospers during his hiatus and returns soon to help themanofthedark keep everyone from bricking their iPhones... :S

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think some stickies and guides would help a whole lot. Maybe a forum section on How-To's or Guides to house them in as well, once a few good ones are around, so they are also easier to find, as I think we all know that search yields very variable results :)

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I understand where x999x is coming from, but it is a slow time here, I have been busy doing other things, im sure once june arrives he will be back helping like he always does.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
I'm afraid in my moment of clarity it has come to my attention that I am visiting these forums less and less with each passing day.

As a result, I don't find I have enough in common with the regular-clique here to drive each and every thread off-topic in a manner befitting the personalities that read them. If I try to post on topic its glazed over for something like "is the moon really made of cheese, and if so what kind?" Compound this with the fact that I've grown weary of answering the same questions over and over again without any sort of "Stickies" being put into affect in the Modifications forum and its clear I need a break from all this.

Its been a great run and I've enjoyed interfacing with the people I've met here. Perhaps I'll be back when 2.0 finally hits, but until then I bid farwell.

With regards to the Fight Club, it will remain open, however I will be making my addition updates on my own domain rather than here from now on. Hit up my site in the days to come for more info. Just nix the "repo" from my repository url and you'll land on my homepage.

DON'T PANIC!

Thank you! Before June 29 of last year I really enjoyed these forums and talking about what I came here for: The iPhone. I even enjoyed the speculation and rumors about what the phone would be like when there was a shortage of facts. I couldn't possible care less about how many times people go to the bathroom each day, or whether someone's gay, or what kind of cheese the moon is made from. When I want to read some mindless blather I go to Myspace (I cyber-stalk all three of my kids, and reading every answer to every survey they do provides me with plenty of empty content.)

Once I asked a question about .mac in this forum, and was totally spanked by people for asking a question that had nothing to do with iPhone, and now this seems like just another site for people to write words so they can hear their fingers tap on a keyboard. I'll be back when the new iPhone comes out to see if there's any relevant information for me then. Thanks for the single most intelligent post (aside from real questions that people have and their answers, those are valid) in months.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
jeez.

keep in mind, all of those "mindless blather" topics you mentioned were off-topic threads. what do you expect?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
i'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if people want to take a break, fine, but why they feel the need to announce it to the world is beyond me.

please don't take that the wrong way. i know you've helped me out on at least a few occasions.

btw, it is difficult to keep up with Off Topic.
I agree totally. You don't hear me crying, do you?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
jeez.

keep in mind, all of those "mindless blather" topics you mentioned were off-topic threads. what do you expect?
Seriously. When the new iPhone comes out, you will STILL find all this mindless blather in the Off-Topic forum. If you're looking for iPhone discussion, they're still discussing it. Sure, it has died down over there - but whose fault is that?

No ones.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
jeez.

You know, I don't expect anything at all. I haven't been posting complaints about this, I was just agreeing with the sentiments in the first post of this topic. I don't see any reason to be angry with me about it, I was just expressing an opinion.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think the Off Topic posts just get more juice when the iPhone chatter quiets down. As a forum owner, I'm happy when people are here. Would I prefer an increase in the amount of good discussions surrounding the iPhone. Sure, but it's not always possible. Let's take Everything Treo for example. Palm hasn't been doing much when it comes to releasing Treo's....there was a time when the site was packed at all hours. I suspect things will ratchet up over there if and when Palm releases the Treo 800w.

Despite a slow period, this is still a very active community. Fast forward to the first few weeks of June and there will be a vastly different dialog going on throughout the hallways of EIC. My guess is you'll find old members returning, new members joining and those who weathered the "cheese moon" topics here discussing the iPhone.

For the record, somehow I missed that topic on the moon. Some of the others mentioned I've simply avoided.;)

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I already miss you x999x. You have helped me soo many times when I've had problems or needed assistance on something. I even kind thought u really got my 1000th post tag thing.

Anyways. I hope to see ya around the forum sometime.

Bone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You know, I don't expect anything at all. I haven't been posting complaints about this, I was just agreeing with the sentiments in the first post of this topic. I don't see any reason to be angry with me about it, I was just expressing an opinion.
sorry, i didn't mean to sound "angry"... i'm just confused as to why you claim to seek only iPhone discussions, and yet you seem to stumble into many off-topic threads.

H

Hayesimus

Well apparently I'm the off-topic scape goat. Just go to my profile and click on "Threads started by Hayesimus" for a list of threads to include in your rants...

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Well apparently I'm the off-topic scape goat. Just go to my profile and click on "Threads started by Hayesimus" for a list of threads to include in your rants...
  • How often do you PEE? Seriously...

• Evil Robot Hamster!
  • What's your Favorite Color. *why not*
  • Video of a friend's ANNOYING laugh!
  • So. My dad tried to contact me today
  • Do you think I'm gay too?!

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hayesimus

cool. i've started 110 threads. sounds like a good topic for a new thread...