So long and thanks for all the fish

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think the Off Topic posts just get more juice when the iPhone chatter quiets down. As a forum owner, I'm happy when people are here. Would I prefer an increase in the amount of good discussions surrounding the iPhone. Sure, but it's not always possible. Let's take Everything Treo for example. Palm hasn't been doing much when it comes to releasing Treo's....there was a time when the site was packed at all hours. I suspect things will ratchet up over there if and when Palm releases the Treo 800w.

Despite a slow period, this is still a very active community. Fast forward to the first few weeks of June and there will be a vastly different dialog going on throughout the hallways of EIC. My guess is you'll find old members returning, new members joining and those who weathered the "cheese moon" topics here discussing the iPhone.

For the record, somehow I missed that topic on the moon. Some of the others mentioned I've simply avoided.;)
I think (part) of the gist of this is that nearly all conversation here is good, depending on what you're looking for. I personally enjoy a lot of the off-topic stuff, as well as the 'serious' threads.

While it is a slower period though, seems like a great time to maybe try to generate some stickies / guides etc. that make it easier for newer people to find answers.

Maybe somebody start a thread nominating subjects that ideally should be covered, then folks could volunteer in that thread to cover specific topics. Maybe have a writer plus editor (2nd pair of eyes) on each topic, or just have mods verify worthiness of a how-to or guide doc, move already existing ones into appropriate spots and all that good stuff.

Or not - I don't mind continuing to rate avatars and such :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The discussion about order of stickies got me thinking about the most common PM I receive: a new member asking what the heck jailbreaking is. I always respond with he same thing, detailed explanation. So I decided to post it in the Modifications Forum, as there isn't really a clear thread explaining what the whole process is and does.

- John

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The discussion about order of stickies got me thinking about the most common PM I receive: a new member asking what the heck jailbreaking is. I always respond with he same thing, detailed explanation. So I decided to post it in the Modifications Forum, as there isn't really a clear thread explaining what the whole process is and does.

- John
Awesome post. Promptly stickied.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Topics needed to be covered in stickies:

1. Jailbreaking. Needs step-by-steps of ZiPhone and Pwn. Needs to cover how to properly restore your phone from a jailbreak. Sam's current sticky covers this area pretty well, but could use a little reorganization in the beginning.

2. Installer. How to find sources for popular programs, along with common Installer troubleshooting teqhniques.

3. File management. This should cover SSH and the various SCP access methods for Mac and PC. Also should probably cover common directory locations... NES Roms, Themes, Camera, Media, etc... people can stop asking how to put NES roms on their phone.

4. Themes. Summerboard and [eyeroll] Customize should be covered here, explaining how to download themes and customize them.

Cover those four and that should cut down considerably on repeat questions around here (assuming, naively, that people would actually read them)

Thought of another that would be popular

5. Best apps. The ones we all use. We could all wiki it together in a thread with short descriptions/source/etc. then one of us could bang it into a proper sticky (raises hand)

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
I mean i know these repeat questions are annoying but what you have to recognize is that those are what is keeping this site up duing this slow time

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
In addition to stickies, I'd like to make use of the iPhone FAQ system here at EIC. Not sure of the best way to use both systems -- the forums and the FAQ. I just found out the FAQ was broken, in addition to needing a major update.

Last edited:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Topics needed to be covered in stickies:

1. Jailbreaking. Needs step-by-steps of ZiPhone and Pwn. Needs to cover how to properly restore your phone from a jailbreak. Sam's current sticky covers this area pretty well, but could use a little reorganization in the beginning.

2. Installer. How to find sources for popular programs, along with common Installer troubleshooting teqhniques.

3. File management. This should cover SSH and the various SCP access methods for Mac and PC. Also should probably cover common directory locations... NES Roms, Themes, Camera, Media, etc... people can stop asking how to put NES roms on their phone.

4. Themes. Summerboard and [eyeroll] Customize should be covered here, explaining how to download themes and customize them.

Cover those four and that should cut down considerably on repeat questions around here (assuming, naively, that people would actually read them)

Thought of another that would be popular

5. Best apps. The ones we all use. We could all wiki it together in a thread with short descriptions/source/etc. then one of us could bang it into a proper sticky (raises hand)
Number one covered by Sam, and my thread covers the rest for the most part.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
In addition to stickies, I'd like to make use of the iPhone FAQ system here at EIC. Not sure of the best way to use both systems -- the forums and the FAQ. I just found out the FAQ was broken, in addition to needing a major update.
I always think of the FAQ as a guide to how to get around and interact in this forum, not a reference source on iPhone subjects. I think it would be easier to have a Guides / How-To's section.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Number one covered by Sam, and my thread covers the rest for the most part.

- John
I think in order to be really useful, guides need to be broken up into bite-sized, specific topics. Yours tonight, for example, should stop at the definition of jailbreaking. The rest of the topics it covers should be broken out into separate docs. It's easier for lazy users to read through each item that way, plus it allows for meaningful titles that folks can see at a glance (rather than having to discover that underneath a jailbreak definition they can also find a guide to Installer etc.) ...

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
sorry, i didn't mean to sound "angry"... i'm just confused as to why you claim to seek only iPhone discussions, and yet you seem to stumble into many off-topic threads.
I look at the new posts every couple of days or so, and just go "Oh well, nothing good today" or "God, who cares how I work out?" and I log off without saying anything because It's not my job to criticize what other people are talking about... I just felt moved this morning to say that I thought this was a good thread with a valid point. I'll continue to scan every so often, and I won't have a thing to say unless I relate to the topic... but come on, you know that many threads degenerate into completely off topic stuff, or that's just my imagination. When you hit the "New Posts" button it gives you all categories, maybe that's why it seems that there're so many threads that are just so Myspace. Either way, carry on, I didn't mean to upset anyone...

Peace

H

Hayesimus

Well sorry this is the eic and this is me. I will continue to post these OFFENSIVE topics so maybe you should continue to keep your criticisms to yourself considering my threads are nothin more than good fun. Sorry you are such a spoil-sport. Its pretty annoying to be criticized by you when this is the first time I've ever even interacted with you. Maybe you should reserve judgment until you know more about me.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Well sorry this is the eic and this is me. I will continue to post these OFFENSIVE topics so maybe you should continue to keep your criticisms to yourself considering my threads are nothin more than good fun. Sorry you are such a spoil-sport. Its pretty annoying to be criticized by you when this is the first time I've ever even interacted with you. Maybe you should reserve judgment until you know more about me.
Word. Straight up. It's the OFF-TOPIC FORUM. Lord, have mercy people.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Good point its all in good fun...but really what do you expect to find in the off topic forum?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hayes, call off the dogs. All that person is saying is that when you hit "New Posts" you get all the categories mixed together. A LOT of people navigate the site that way (raises hand)... so yeah, if you just come by here every couple days to see what's new, you may get a screenfull of OT because of the current ratio of iPhone:OT discussions. When that gets unbalanced, people could easily interpret the site as being unserious. That may seem unfair to you, but you should be able to understand where they're coming from.

And while you are the OT king, try not to take this personally. Although that line "Maybe you should reserve judgment until you know more about me" cracked me up. You've left very few topics about yourself a mystery, my friend!