Steps for buying a 3G

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Hey guys just wondering what would be best for me to do first I just posted my 1st gen iPhone on craigslist and people want to buy it. If I sell it then I'll be without a phone. once I sell it do I have to cancel my iPhone service with ATT and then wait until I get 3G and then do the activation like before? Or do I like keep my plan and call ATT and tell them to upgrade to 3G plan and put current plan on hold. Should I get the 3G then sell off my current phone or sell current first? Any help appreciated.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think the easiest way is to just go and buy the 3G iPhone - this will automatically put you on a 3G phone and data plan, and your first-generation iPhone will be deactivated. You can then sell it as it is, and its new owner will need to activate it with AT&T just like when you purchased it. Or, you can activate and unlock it with Pwnage or some other similar tool and then sell it, which will probably increase its selling price.

This is pretty much what I did. Purchased my 3G iPhone on release day and started using it immediately, unlocked my first-generation iPhone, and I just sold it on eBay for $420.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Mazz don't forget to nuke the old phone. Settings// general// reset// erase all content and settings. Also pull the old sim card. The new owner will get a sim card from their carrier and you will get a new one with the 3g phone.

Good Luck!

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
oh yes ok thanks for the replys guys. should I really unlock it and then sell? It's selling for $300 right now and it's not unlocked . I just updated to the newest firmware too

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
oh yes ok thanks for the replys guys. should I really unlock it and then sell? It's selling for $300 right now and it's not unlocked . I just updated to the newest firmware too
You should be able to sell it for more if you unlock it.

I am seeing teh 3G one going for 700 in my area. No idea why, but I feel like selling mine to see if I can get that - :p

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Also make sure you make plenty of upfront appointments with your local Genius Bar. You will get used to singing that Ariston song. Take the 3G back to the store for replacement, and on and on and on and on and on and on!

TeamPEZ

Bronze
Sep 7, 2008
Marietta, Georgia
I think the easiest way is to just go and buy the 3G iPhone - this will automatically put you on a 3G phone and data plan, and your first-generation iPhone will be deactivated. You can then sell it as it is, and its new owner will need to activate it with AT&T just like when you purchased it. Or, you can activate and unlock it with Pwnage or some other similar tool and then sell it, which will probably increase its selling price.

This is pretty much what I did. Purchased my 3G iPhone on release day and started using it immediately, unlocked my first-generation iPhone, and I just sold it on eBay for $420.
I see a lot of first-gen iPhones on ebay, so I don't know if you will get that much money for them. However, and this is NOT an advertisement, I found www.onesaleaday.com and they are buying first-gen 8 gig iPhones for $250. It is absolutely legit - I posted a topic about this and I even posted a picture of the check they sent me ... they pay for free shipping from you to them in NY. Check it out. $250 is nice to have!

-TP/corey

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Question is, do you need the 3G speeds and GPS? If you don't, then I would say stick with the V1. The 3G is badly built (light leakage major issue), riddled with bugs and not worth touching. Believe me, I have one!