Steve Jobs Open Letter: Issues $100 "Store Credit" for Early Adopters

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I quote Steve, "I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season."

Ok Steve, but the question remains, why is NOW the right time to lower the price? Why not June 29th? You mention how technology is a "bumpy road" and we understand that production price goes down with time, but not in 8 or 9 weeks. You conned us on June 29th to pay WAY more money than we had to, and it was simply because you knew we would buy it, and that we would assume that you wouldn't lower the price for at least half a year, and certainly not by that much.

I do appreciate the apology and the money. But I really think that first of all, you should have offered the phone at $399 from day 1. And if you really couldn't do that (which I really think you could have), then you should have been ready with this offer at your keynote. You should have guessed there would be such a strong opposition from your faithful customers who took a chance on you. I'm surprised that you were surprised by this.

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
So wait are we now receiving $100 on top of the $200 we can already get from Cingular if we purchased within 14 days or what? I know this was probably already asked but I have to leave the house in a couple of minutes and don't have time to search.

Thanks
No, if you get the $200, they are not going to give the voucher. But I am not sure how they will weed those out. We'll see.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I have to be honest and say when I first heard about the price drop, I was disappointed in Apple but not really angry. This, to me, shows that Apple truly does listen to it's customers. Very classy act, in my humble opinion. I wasn't expecting a dime and now I'm getting $100 back in credit. Thanks to all who voiced their opinions. Without you, I doubt anything would've been done. Cheers !

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I do appreciate the apology and the money. But I really think that you should have been ready with this offer at your keynote. You should have guessed there would be such a strong opposition from your faithful customers who took a chance on you. I'm surprised that you were surprised by this.
On one hand I agree, but am equally impressed that he quickly admitted he erred and rectified it. He screwed up, admitted it -- pretty dang classy move. I'm not cynical enough to believe they floated it as a trial baloon to test the level of outrage (read that elsewhere). I'm satisfied they miscalculated and had guts enough to admit they erred. Pretty damn refreshing in these days and times I think. He's always given me the impression he was on our side and wanted to make cool stuff that both of us would enjoy. I like the guy and don't mind admitting it. Today reinforces it.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Way to go, Steve. I'll put those $100 to good use.
And I'm glad more people will have iPhone under the Xmas tree (or cultural equivalent).

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
iPhone under the Xmas tree (or cultural equivalent).
The eyePhone just hit the market in Japan. A transparent screen type contact lenses that goes right over the eyeball.

Works just like the iPhone but the finger poking and scrolling is a real pain.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have to be honest and say when I first heard about the price drop, I was disappointed in Apple but not really angry. This, to me, shows that Apple truly does listen to it's customers. Very classy act, in my humble opinion. I wasn't expecting a dime and now I'm getting $100 back in credit. Thanks to all who voiced their opinions. Without you, I doubt anything would've been done. Cheers !
I feel the same way. When I heard I wasn't really disappointed all too much, because really, what can I do? I love my iPhone and love my Mac and I won't jump ship for $200.00. But, this is a really classy act by Apple and I applaud them for doing this.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
im glad steve chose to do this. it im looking forward to the extra 100 dollars to my new ipod!

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
Ok, $100 is fair enough. I am still not 100% satisfied in principle, but it is fair enough that I will remain as an Apple customer.

I need to give a pad to the shoulder to all of us who voiced our concerns since yesterday. I do believe that due to the pressure from all of us (as consumers), Steve Jobs swollows his words back from yesterday and now agrees to do something for us early adapters.

If we were not standing together to voice ourselves since, I doubt Steve Jobs would have done the same.

Regards,

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Pretty shrewed if you ask me. Apple gets to "save face", we customers now get some satisfaction, AND (here's the smart part) now there is going to be an enormous influx of traffic into Apple stores! Wow - marketing professionals all over the world should be bowing in homage :)

Plus, this will end up costing Apple less in the long run than having to contest every single credit card company claim that their customers are filing. Apple gets to spend the manufacturing equivalent of $100 (variable per product) as opposed to losing $200 real dollars for every iPhone sold prior to yesterday. Truly a win/win scenario. I'm proud of you, Steve :)

Now, aren't all of you Apple stock sellers feeling pretty foolish about now?

LD3

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
It also cracks me up to see the wild mood swings... from "APPLE SUCKS, I'M NEVER BUYING ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT!11!" to after this announcement, "YEAH! Steve Jobs! You're the man!".

I'm glad I don't suffer from these wild and emotional fluctuation's, especially when they're painfully displayed in public before hundreds of thousands of people.
Pot kettle black.....you were emotional....LOL

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
please insert Tharmsen's post here first......... ;)

You must have money to burn.
People get upset and we should be able to discuss it.
If someone wrongs you your opinion for them changes, why is this any different. My opinion of Apple did and has changed but that doesn't mean we can change our opinion again before the hundreds and thousands of people and fluctuate how we feel. If the person that wrongs you apologizes then your opinion will once again change. Won't it? At least it should. Or should we stay mad forever even when someone's trying to make up for it?
Opinions fluctuate on actions.
We should all ask ourselves....WWJD, LMAO :)

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
also, i forgot this, i posted on another thread that Att gave me a $100 credit on my phone bill. I bought 2 phones, should i ask Att for the other $100 or do i get it from Apple?

LD3

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
All over $100.

LOL

I think this latest twist makes this whole episode that much more funny... people can be so freaking petty it's staggering.
I'm calling the die hard fanboi card here. Too funny...LOL

LD3

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
"complainers","whiners" common sense score: 1
"suck it up" camp score: 0

Good game

Too bad the losers get the reward as well

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
now that that's out of the way, can the iMoaners please shut up!
If those iMoaners had no standing, high and mighty Mr. Jobs wouldn't have done a 180 on this topic so quickly. His greedier than usual move blew up in his face and we forced him to eat his words and face reality. It's those who kept saying that the price drop was normal who should be embarrassed.

Of course we expect all of you nay sayers not to get the credit.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Honestly, this is simply a gesture to get the whiners to shutup. Just watch. The fine print will indicate it's good only on certain items. And we'll most likely not be able to combine certs.

It just goes to show you that the will of the vocal get the cred. For, honestly, for every complaint received, the rule of thumb is there are thousands more that feel the same way, but did not send in. In other words, in the land of direct marketing, if you send out 100 direct mail pieces, if you get 1.5 responses, that's considered a success!

I'm sure when Steve saw the mountain of complaints (honestly, who here believes he read EVERY single one of them? LOL!), he knew that there were ten, may 100, fold more that felt the same way.

This was a totally political move to save face. If he had any notion there'd be such a backlash, don't you think he would have offered up the credit after announcing the price drop? I think Steve overestimated the fervor of our zeal.

Maybe some of us overreacted. I can say the same of you of the lemming persuasion who told us complainers to suck it up. Now, you get to benefit from those of us who complained. I think you should send your coupons to me, so I can get that desktop I've been drooling over! :p