MacBook Air Such a Mac Noob...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, due to both of my Laptop PCs crashing in the same week (one is $1700 to repair, and I think the other one is simply too far gone) I went out and purchased a MacBook Air, and so far I am in love with it. However, I am a complete noob when it comes to operating on a Mac, it's been since 5th grade since I actually used one.
My questions begin with the program "Spaces". I have no idea what this does, and one of my Mac owning friends said he never used it so he doesn't know either. Also, my other Mac friend has something enabled so that when she moves her cursor over a certain corner, a program opens up (that she chose to be enabled by the movement), so does anyone know how I can do that?

Also, how do I create ringtones using Garageband? I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that Garageband users were able to create free ringtones and put them on the iPhone, but I could be mistaken.

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm in your same boat - or maybe a slightly smaller, less expensive craft, but anyway - bought a MacBook last week, first time on a Mac in years as well.

Someone else will probably have a better explanation, but Spaces lets you group apps (e.g Mail and IM in one space, browser in another etc) and reduce desktop clutter, and toggle between various spaces with ease - see HERE for a good overview.

I also found Apple's Switcher 101 site quite useful for quick rundowns on various features and apps - it's at:
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm still fairly new to mac as well, but Spaces is an awesome feature. It minimizes desktop clutter by virtually letting you have 4 desktops. In other words I can have iTunes/iPhoto running and synching with my iPhone in space 1, Firefox/Safari surfing the web in space 2, along with maybe having some music playing, space 3 I can have Photoshop open and cutting my fiance's face out of a pic and pasting on Carmen Electra's body and dreaming a little bit, and in space 4 I could have Garageband open creating ringtones and EIC open and looking up how to use Garageband to do so. The beauty of it all is it is very simple to switch back and forth between spaces. Just use control and the arrow keys to switch between windows.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
...my other Mac friend has something enabled so that when she moves her cursor over a certain corner, a program opens up (that she chose to be enabled by the movement), so does anyone know how I can do that?
seems like Spaces has been pretty well explained, so i'll try to cover this one. This is a feature called Expose'. If you go to apple->system preferences->Expose' and Spaces you can tweak both of them there. The specific feature you are talking about is called "active screen corners". You can assign different functions to each corner of your screen... like going to sleep, popping up app windows, showing all windows, dashboard, etc. It's very handy, but i found that when i'm navigating my desktop, i would overshoot something (like the Apple menu or Spotlight), and accidentally trigger an active corner, and have things happen i didn't intend to. So i now only have my bottom-left corner assigned to dashboard. Maybe you have better eye-hand coordination than i do...

Also, how do I create ringtones using Garageband? I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that Garageband users were able to create free ringtones and put them on the iPhone, but I could be mistaken.

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure all you do is import an iTunes song (or create your own), edit it down to <30 seconds, and then go to Share->Send ringtone to iTunes. I haven't tried it myself (yet), but i can't imagine it being any more complicated than that.

in fact, i'll try it now, and take some screenshots while i do it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Is this all in the Mac's for Dummies book? I really need to catch up!
I wrote that book. :)

I'm no Genius with any kind of IM, but I do have iChat set up. Anybody that needs help with the Mac, just open iChat and set it up with whatever kind of account you have and go into Buddies > Add Buddy, and my name is jbanks290@gmail.com. I usually have iChat open in the background, so you'll get me most of the time.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

I'm no Genius with any kind of IM, but I do have iChat set up. Anybody that needs help with the Mac, just open iChat and set it up with whatever kind of account you have and go into Buddies > Add Buddy, and my name is jbanks290@gmail.com. I usually have iChat open in the background, so you'll get me most of the time.

- John
Cool, I just added you. No questions yet, but sure I will have :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

- John
I just tried this service a little while ago, with excellent results. There was almost zero waiting time, and I was served lovely fresh coffee while waiting, and got just the answer I needed! Cheers John :)
* A small part of the above statement may be pure embellishment ...

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Think it likes GTalk (from Google), AIM, or .Mac - maybe others too - but Gtalk works well for me ...
Thanks-I use gmail. When I am on the gmail, sometimes my bro or SIL pop up and talk with me. Is that Gtalk? I also have a .mac account so I guess I should check into that.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for the help everyone. The switch from the PC is going a lot more smoothly than I thought it would. I was expecting to be confused by everything but so far I've had no major concerns. I did accidentally double-copy 12 GBs of photos onto the laptop (I dragged them onto the desktop first and then thought I could move it into the "iPhoto" folder, but instead it just recopied them) but that was easily fixed.
What would be the best photo editing software to get? I used Photoshop on the PC but I've heard a few things about Gimp so I was just wondering if that was better to use with the Mac.