Summerboard 1.1.1

unknownentry

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
www.iphonesurge.com
You replace the existing file. And remember set octal permissions to 0755.
Whenever I replace the com.apple.springboard.plist and set permissions to 0755, I restart my iPhone and it won't boot back up. It's not a big deal because all I have to do is restore, but why is my iPhone doing this? I know it has something to do with SummerBoard Alpha release because the "touchFREE" jailbreak method works fine! It's only after I install the SummerBoard stuff.

I also noticed that without installing com.apple.springboard.plist SummerBoard will be inactive (It says at the bottom in SMBPrefs).

I wish someone would just go ahead and upload the new Alpha SummerBoard to Installer so we can install it from there.

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
This worked for me!

The only other thing I can suggest is to set 0755 permission to ALL files within SMBPrefs.app and Summerboard.framework. After setting these permissions, restart the iPhone.

To amalone87: com.apple.SpringBoard.plist goes into:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist

Also, please note: this Alpha Summerboard is for 1.1.1 jailbroken phones/ipod touches only.
changing all the file preferences to 0755 and restarting made Summerboard work correctly for me. Thanks Enigmanic! (And TinMan0 for getting us all jailbroken as simply as possible):laugh2:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Whenever I replace the com.apple.springboard.plist and set permissions to 0755, I restart my iPhone and it won't boot back up. It's not a big deal because all I have to do is restore, but why is my iPhone doing this? I know it has something to do with SummerBoard Alpha release because the "touchFREE" jailbreak method works fine! It's only after I install the SummerBoard stuff.

I also noticed that without installing com.apple.springboard.plist SummerBoard will be inactive (It says at the bottom in SMBPrefs).

I wish someone would just go ahead and upload the new Alpha SummerBoard to Installer so we can install it from there.
I used Tinman's longer method to jailbreak my phone. I'm not sure of that makes a difference?

In addition to com.apple.springboard.plist, did you also change the file permissions to all the files located in SMBPreff.app and Summerboard.framework?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just want SummerBoard to work...I did everything just the same as you did and it's not working.
This is how I did mine, and how I instructed a buddy this morning when it came to that plist part, both of us had successful installs. My friend used the "Touch Free" method, while I used Tinman's earlier "Easy Upgrade" method so I know that the install method isn't a factor to yours not working.

• Select com.apple.SpringBoard.plist on your iPhone and view it's properties. Take note of the group name, "wheel" as well as it's permissions, "0644"
  • Rename the original to com.apple.SpringBoard.plist.bak, and then copy over the new one.
  • Right click the new com.apple.SpringBoard.plist you just copied over and view it's Properties. Check to see that the group name is also "wheel", and change it's permissions from "0644" to "0704"

If that's all your problem is, the plist, that "should" get you going.

unknownentry

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
www.iphonesurge.com
This is how I did mine, and how I instructed a buddy this morning when it came to that plist part, both of us had successful installs. My friend used the "Touch Free" method, while I used Tinman's earlier "Easy Upgrade" method so I know that the install method isn't a factor to yours not working.
  • Select com.apple.SpringBoard.plist on your iPhone and view it's properties. Take note of the group name, "wheel" as well as it's permissions, "0644"
  • Rename the original to com.apple.SpringBoard.plist.bak, and then copy over the new one.
  • Right click the new com.apple.SpringBoard.plist you just copied over and view it's Properties. Check to see that the group name is also "wheel", and change it's permissions from "0644" to "0704"
If that's all your problem is, the plist, that "should" get you going.
I tried that and it does the same thing. I restart my iPhone and it just stays on the black screen with the silver Apple logo on it. When I rename the original plist back it boots. Any suggestions? I have changed all the permissions on everything to 0755. I am just have trouble with the com.apple.SpringBoard.plist

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I tried that and it does the same thing. I restart my iPhone and it just stays on the black screen with the silver Apple logo on it. When I rename the original plist back it boots. Any suggestions? I have changed all the permissions on everything to 0755. I am just have trouble with the com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
Out of curiosity, did you name the folders with the same upper and lowercase letters as the instructions? My friend did run into trouble on that bit.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I know this might be a long shot, but perhaps your com.apple.SpringBoard.plist got corrupted somehow. Try downloading it again from Summerboard's website. Also, you placed the entire Summerboard.framework folder in:
/Library/Frameworks/

...correct? (I just want to make sure that you didn't confuse that with /var/root/Library).

unknownentry

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
www.iphonesurge.com
I know this might be a long shot, but perhaps your com.apple.SpringBoard.plist got corrupted somehow. Try downloading it again from Summerboard's website. Also, you placed the entire Summerboard.framework folder in:
/Library/Frameworks/

...correct? (I just want to make sure that you didn't confuse that with /var/root/Library).
Correct! I am doing everything right except with the com.apple.SpringBoard.plist...It might be corrupted like x said do I'm going to re-download it.

EDIT: I GOT SUMMERBOARD WORKING AFTER RE-DOWNLOADING FROM THERE WEBSITE!

Now what about Customize? Is that working yet or not?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Correct! I am doing everything right except with the com.apple.SpringBoard.plist...It might be corrupted like x said do I'm going to re-download it.

Awesome! I'm glad you got it working. Customize is still very buggy. They released version 1.12, which appears to have fixed the missing ipod icon bug (that forced me to restore the last time). However, rSBT is still giving me problems personally. It only re-arranges some of my icons...very weird. All other parts of Customize seem to work okay so far though.

unknownentry

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
www.iphonesurge.com
Awesome! I'm glad you got it working. Customize is still very buggy. They released version 1.12, which appears to have fixed the missing ipod icon bug (that forced me to restore the last time). However, rSBT is still giving me problems personally. It only re-arranges some of my icons...very weird. All other parts of Customize seem to work okay so far though.
It sounds like we will have to wait on it to be final! I'm going to bed, but thanks for the help! :laugh2:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

Unless there has been a newer beta release of Customize, the general consensus is to avoid it right now. Its borked a few iPhones here, including Tinman's, so unfortunately SummerBoard is as good as it gets in this department for now.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Sorry joining the discussion kind of late but so there currently isn't a stable icon management app available for 1.1.1? Sounds like Customize 1.1.2 is out but people are wary of using it, and RSBT doesn't work at all?

All I want is a way to re-order my icons...don't really care about the other customizations for now.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Sorry joining the discussion kind of late but so there currently isn't a stable icon management app available for 1.1.1? Sounds like Customize 1.1.2 is out but people are wary of using it, and RSBT doesn't work at all?

All I want is a way to re-order my icons...don't really care about the other customizations for now.
What I did was install customize, rearrange my icons, then when I was all set immediately unistall customize. It really is extremely unstable.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

Call me a masochist, but I just installed Customize 1.1.2 (it's on Installer now). :p

What I did this time was backup M68AP.plist (that seems to be where Customize gets into trouble). Also, based on a tip I'd read elsewhere, I don't hit Save and then OK. I just hit Save and then press the menu button to go back to the springboard (in rSBT, within Customize).

Actually I only used Customize to get M68AP.plist "primed" (add in all the third-party apps). I never even went into anything other than rSBT (better to be safe).

Customize, at least in version 1.1.2 will not allow you to place more apps in the Springboard section, preferring to have most third-party apps in "Extended." The problem is the new Springboard (or Summerboard) isn't limited to 16 items on the main springboard. Moreover, Summerboard (or even the stock Springboard) will ignore the ThirdParty ("Extended") section in M68AP.plist (which is where Customize places them).

About the only thing Summerboard or the stock Springboard pay attention to is the iconList section in M68AP.plist.

So I moved my apps into iconList by manually editing M68AP.plist. (Need to restart springboard to see the changes, this can be done using SMBPrefs.)

Sure enough Summerboard paid attention to it!

I then opened rSBT in Customize 1.1.2 and sure enough, all of my apps were now in the Springboard section, and I could move them around at will--and the changes stuck.

So at least I now have a working Summerboard, and a somewhat functional rSBT. The major issue is when adding a new app it goes into the Extended section of M68AP.plist. No biggie as apps located in that section end up at the end of the springboard. Plus I can move them back up by simply editing M68AP.plist.

To be safe I have left the iTunes Store in position 16.

EAYOR!

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Call me a masochist, but I just installed Customize 1.1.2 (it's on Installer now). :p

What I did this time was backup M68AP.plist (that seems to be where Customize gets into trouble). Also, based on a tip I'd read elsewhere, I don't hit Save and then OK. I just hit Save and then press the menu button to go back to the springboard (in rSBT, within Customize).

Actually I only used Customize to get M68AP.plist "primed" (add in all the third-party apps). I never even went into anything other than rSBT (better to be safe).

Customize, at least in version 1.1.2 will not allow you to place more apps in the Springboard section, preferring to have most third-party apps in "Extended." The problem is the new Springboard (or Summerboard) isn't limited to 16 items on the main springboard. Moreover, Summerboard (or even the stock Springboard) will ignore the ThirdParty ("Extended") section in M68AP.plist (which is where Customize places them).

About the only thing Summerboard or the stock Springboard pay attention to is the iconList section in M68AP.plist.

So I moved my apps into iconList by manually editing M68AP.plist. (Need to restart springboard to see the changes, this can be done using SMBPrefs.)

Sure enough Summerboard paid attention to it!

I then opened rSBT in Customize 1.1.2 and sure enough, all of my apps were now in the Springboard section, and I could move them around at will--and the changes stuck.

So at least I now have a working Summerboard, and a somewhat functional rSBT. The major issue is when adding a new app it goes into the Extended section of M68AP.plist. No biggie as apps located in that section end up at the end of the springboard. Plus I can move them back up by simply editing M68AP.plist.

To be safe I have left the iTunes Store in position 16.

EAYOR!

--
Mike

Nice...I'm a techie at heart and have a CS degree so I have no issues editing files, especially if they're just XML!

Can you post your .plist so I can take a look for reference? Also can't you just create a new key in the buttonbar part of the .plist to add a 5th icon?

Appreciate it. :p

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Nice...I'm a techie at heart and have a CS degree so I have no issues editing files, especially if they're just XML!

Can you post your .plist so I can take a look for reference? Also can't you just create a new key in the buttonbar part of the .plist to add a 5th icon?

Appreciate it. :p
Sure, you can easily add another icon to the buttonbar array:

Attached is my current M68AP.plist (it's not finished of course--it never is ;)).

--
Mike

Attachments

jtiburcio

Oct 7, 2007
where can i get your theme ---?

Unless there has been a newer beta release of Customize, the general consensus is to avoid it right now. Its borked a few iPhones here, including Tinman's, so unfortunately SummerBoard is as good as it gets in this department for now.

hi x999x...where can i get a copy of your theme...looks so nice