Summerboard 1.1.1

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
Yeah i know its in the setting but the icon doesn't appear on my springboard...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
How do you get that Contacts app?
It was in the hidden ("special") special section within M68AP.plist.

I moved it out of there and up to where Notes was (I moved Notes down, as I don't use it much at all--since notes do not sync).

I'm down to a set routine with Customize and manually editing M68AP.plist.
First, when news apps are added they do not get added to M68AP.plist (but they end up on the end of the springboard regardless).

So I then open rSBT (in Customize) and, without changing the order of anything, tap Save. When the "Close" prompt appears I hit the Menu button to go back to the springboard.

I then edit M68AP.plist, as the new app(s) are now there, but in the "thirdParty" section. I move the apps from thirdParty to iconList (main springboard section). I can then use rSBT to move the icons around graphically, using the same technique to save as above.

Essentially I keep thirdParty empty, and then use rSBT to arrange the icons. This has been working good so far. Fingers crossed...

--
Mike

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
I see..

Sounds complicated but would love to give it a go. So i assume that file you attached few posts back contains the Contacts app?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, thats a whole lotta work to move icons around.

Can we just edit that file you posted manually and not bother with installing customize or all those other steps?

I just want NES back on my front page, thats all.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Customize 1.13 is now on Installer...Tinman, can you check it out and see if this fixes the issues you've been having? I want to hold off installing it until there's some sort of confirmation that it doesn't completely screw up the phone.

Thanks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Customize 1.13 is now on Installer...Tinman, can you check it out and see if this fixes the issues you've been having? I want to hold off installing it until there's some sort of confirmation that it doesn't completely screw up the phone.

Thanks.
I'm running it, but it's pretty much the same for iPhone 1.1.1 users. I think this update corrects the iPod icon issue for 1.0.2 users.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Why don't I see the updated customize on installer? The latest version I see is 1.09?
Don't know--I got 1.1.3 from Installer.

In any case iBrickr 0.91 is out now and works with 1.1.1 iPhones. Just use iBrickr if you can't get Customize from Installer.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for posting the bit about Saving your plist in Customize once you've manually edited. Seems to be the only way to get the pages that follow the first page to retain the correct order you've specified. That "Third Party" section just wouldn't line up.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for posting the bit about Saving your plist in Customize once you've manually edited. Seems to be the only way to get the pages that follow the first page to retain the correct order you've specified. That "Third Party" section just wouldn't line up.
yes that thirdParty section is actually completely ignored by Summerboard/springboard. Not just the icon order, but the entire section is ignored. You don't even need apps in thirdParty. Any app not in iconList is merely thrown at the end of the springboard, in no apparent order.

But with everything up in iconList Customize seems to work OK for rearranging the icons. I just make sure I don't move anything into the Extended SpringBoard section:
--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

unknownentry

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
www.iphonesurge.com
I got everything working and broken out of jail. I have manually installed SummerBoard. My problem is that I can't download any SummerBoard Themes because it says I need to install SummerBoard. If I install SummerBoard from Installer, it moves the dock and 4 icons to the top of the iPhone. I uninstalled that and now it is working fine, but I still can't download SummerBoard Themes from Installer. My question is, do I have to manually install SummerBoard Themes?

OGrizzle

Jul 17, 2007
I got everything working and broken out of jail. I have manually installed SummerBoard. My problem is that I can't download any SummerBoard Themes because it says I need to install SummerBoard. If I install SummerBoard from Installer, it moves the dock and 4 icons to the top of the iPhone. I uninstalled that and now it is working fine, but I still can't download SummerBoard Themes from Installer. My question is, do I have to manually install SummerBoard Themes?
Install Summerboard with Installer. Then redo the manual install of the 1.1.1 version. Thats what worked for me.

unknownentry

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
www.iphonesurge.com
Call me a masochist, but I just installed Customize 1.1.2 (it's on Installer now). :p

What I did this time was backup M68AP.plist (that seems to be where Customize gets into trouble). Also, based on a tip I'd read elsewhere, I don't hit Save and then OK. I just hit Save and then press the menu button to go back to the springboard (in rSBT, within Customize).

Actually I only used Customize to get M68AP.plist "primed" (add in all the third-party apps). I never even went into anything other than rSBT (better to be safe).

Customize, at least in version 1.1.2 will not allow you to place more apps in the Springboard section, preferring to have most third-party apps in "Extended." The problem is the new Springboard (or Summerboard) isn't limited to 16 items on the main springboard. Moreover, Summerboard (or even the stock Springboard) will ignore the ThirdParty ("Extended") section in M68AP.plist (which is where Customize places them).

About the only thing Summerboard or the stock Springboard pay attention to is the iconList section in M68AP.plist.

So I moved my apps into iconList by manually editing M68AP.plist. (Need to restart springboard to see the changes, this can be done using SMBPrefs.)

Sure enough Summerboard paid attention to it!

I then opened rSBT in Customize 1.1.2 and sure enough, all of my apps were now in the Springboard section, and I could move them around at will--and the changes stuck.

So at least I now have a working Summerboard, and a somewhat functional rSBT. The major issue is when adding a new app it goes into the Extended section of M68AP.plist. No biggie as apps located in that section end up at the end of the springboard. Plus I can move them back up by simply editing M68AP.plist.

To be safe I have left the iTunes Store in position 16.

EAYOR!

--
Mike
When I install Customize 1.1.3 and try to run it, the program flashes the "Spicy Chicken Logo" and then crashes. Any ideas on how to fix that? Do you have to install it and then overwrite the files manually like you have to do for SummerBoard?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
When I install Customize 1.1.3 and try to run it, the program flashes the "Spicy Chicken Logo" and then crashes. Any ideas on how to fix that? Do you have to install it and then overwrite the files manually like you have to do for SummerBoard?
It took around 3 or 4 tries for me to get Customize to load the first time. But once it finally loaded I haven't had that problem again. Just keep trying to launch it; eventually it will load.

--
Mike

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
yes that thirdParty section is actually completely ignored by Summerboard/springboard. Not just the icon order, but the entire section is ignored. You don't even need apps in thirdParty. Any app not in iconList is merely thrown at the end of the springboard, in no apparent order.

But with everything up in iconList Customize seems to work OK for rearranging the icons. I just make sure I don't move anything into the Extended SpringBoard section:

--
Mike
So an update...after futzing around with Customize 1.13 and rSBT to get my icon order...I came up with a solution that works best for me (as described by Tinman)

I uninstalled Customize 1.13 w/rSBT. Then I just manually edit the M68AP.plist file and make sure everything is in the iconList section...the icons are displayed using the order in the file so it's very easy to move things around.

if you need the string identifier for an app, just go into that app folder, open info.plist and look for the string that starts with ".com".

In any case, I'm happily rearranging my icon order perfectly and without having to use Customize 1.13 w/rSBT which was pretty buggy in my opinion.

:cool:

P.S. Make sure each string identifier/app only shows up ONCE in your M68AP.plist. If it appears more than once, it seems to only use the last occurrence in the file or messes things up. i.e. I was adding apps to my iconList but they were also already in my '3rd party apps' section.

snakedriver

Aug 22, 2007
So an update...after futzing around with Customize 1.13 and rSBT to get my icon order...I came up with a solution that works best for me (as described by Tinman)

I uninstalled Customize 1.13 w/rSBT. Then I just manually edit the M68AP.plist file and make sure everything is in the iconList section...the icons are displayed using the order in the file so it's very easy to move things around.

if you need the string identifier for an app, just go into that app folder, open info.plist and look for the string that starts with ".com".

In any case, I'm happily rearranging my icon order perfectly and without having to use Customize 1.13 w/rSBT which was pretty buggy in my opinion.

:cool:

P.S. Make sure each string identifier/app only shows up ONCE in your M68AP.plist. If it appears more than once, it seems to only use the last occurrence in the file or messes things up. i.e. I was adding apps to my iconList but they were also already in my '3rd party apps' section.

So, if customize/rsbt was to come out with a new version that allowed more than 16 icons on the springboard (basically did away with the extended springboard) we'd be ok without having to change the M68AP.plist?

In the meanime how exactly do you edit the plist? I tried copy/paste and cut/paste and they just return to their original position at the bottom instead of where I'm trying to place them. How exactly are you moving them?