Switcheasy Nude Review: An honest opinion.

Bkasm

Jul 12, 2010
Let me start off by saying hello to everyone, this is my first post.

I wanted to post an honest review of Switcheasy's NUDE for iPhone 4 since the case is relatively new and their isn't much "hands on" info out there yet.

--

I've been a loyal customer of Switcheasy since the 3G, and have always been impressed with their value and quality of cases. Unfortunately, their first attempt at an iPhone 4 case falls remarkably short of any of their 3G/3GS offerings. I had purchased both the Ultra Clear and Ultra Black the day of release.

The good -

Overall the case fits well, volume control buttons, silent, and sleep button all line up well. The cutout for the camera is perfect, and through testing doesn't seem to obscure photos with flash. Both the dock/headphone protectors are nice additions, and help provide the 360 protection some people seek. The look of the case, for the most part, is nice. The Ultra Clear, is well Ultra Clear as expected.

Switcheasy has always been a good value considering what you get with their cases, and this is no exception. For $20 you get the case, two anti-static screen guards, a microfiber wipe, a squeegee, two headphone jack protectors, and two 30 pin connector protectors.

The bad -

The packaging was pretty difficult to open, I know that has nothing to do with the case itself but I did cut myself trying to get it open. :(

Upon finally getting the cases out I noticed BOTH of them had finger prints and scratches on them already. I don't know how Switcheasy packages these cases, but they didn't do a very good job. Also, both screen guards that came with the Ultra Clear had pretty nasty bends in two of the corners, making them unusable.

Not that you would want to use them anyway, they produce that nice rainbow effect that the cheap ones often do.

There is NO front protection with this case, the absence of any type of lip prevents one from laying the phone face down. Drop protection with this case is also limited, only measuring 1mm thick.

Edges of the case also feel "rough." Almost as if they were not sanded down during production. Also, the corners down by the 30 pin connector are quite sharp. It wouldn't be completely impossible for one to cut themselves on it.

The case will no doubt protect the back of the phone from scratches at the very least, but nothing will prevent the MASSIVE amount of scratching that WILL occur to the NUDE.

Not counting the 20 or so scratches right out the box, after about a day of use the case literally has hundreds of little scratches all over including some pretty large ones. I haven't been throwing or sliding this thing around either.

The headphone plug fits almost too well. I struggled for about three minutes trying to get it out. If you don't have nails I wouldn't consider using it. The dock plug does fit well though, and comes out easy, but not so easy that it would just fall out.

*Also this is probably on me, but I bent the Ultra clear near the volume buttons when trying to take the case off, making it unusable in fear of it scratching the phone*

-- Overall the case was a disappointment. Not what I came to expect of Switcheasy at all.

I'd give the case a 2/5

I will post pictures later, my camera is charging.

M_Short

Jun 10, 2010
A great review! Thank you very much, and welcome to EiC!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Great first post. Have you contacted switcheasy regarding the subpar quality? Maybe they'll allow you to exchange it for a new case when they release different models.

Bkasm

Jul 12, 2010
Great first post. Have you contacted switcheasy regarding the subpar quality? Maybe they'll allow you to exchange it for a new case when they release different models.
Yes, I sent them an email yesterday, no response yet though.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Thanks for the thorough review. Ironically I had placed an order with this company then cancelled (nothing with respect to your review). Reason I cancelled was because I bought a similar case on eBay for $3.00 that arrived one day after my order. It was adequate so I cancelled the NUDE order. Truth be told, these second tier case makers (as I refer to them) probably get their product from those same Asian vendors on eBay that sell at ridiculously cheap price points.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Thanks for the review. I received my four Switcheasy Nudes on Tuesday and i am sending them back. I hate them. I thought they would be better made than they were. A total disappointment. I do not recommend buying them at all.

KoukiFC3S

Bronze
Apr 7, 2010
I kept reading nothing but praise last week about this case. Too bad they seem to suck. :-(

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Same here just got my nude ultra black unpacked all scratched and scuffed up very disappointed just emailed them

dsa1971

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
I like that the case is slim but it's almost too slim. I doubt it gives any drop protection (not expecting much but some would be nice) and it the case scratches easily.

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
I just received my nude black and I am actually quite pleased. After reading this review I expected to have bloody hands after fighting to get into the package and for it to be scuffed and scratched up. The box was relatively easy to get into for me. Didn't even require scissors and while the case is a fingerprint magnet it wasn't scratched nor scuffed up. Since I never put my phone down face first the lack of a lip was never a negative for me. All in all, I will be keeping it. Oh and the plug for the earphones took all of 2-3 seconds to put in. If I had to rate it I would rate it a 8 out of 10. But considering the lack of cases available at the moment it works for me.

TarHeelsRule

Bronze
Dec 31, 2008
South Carolina
On a side note I actually removed the Zagg Invisible Shield because it was coming off around the home key and used the Anti-Static Protective shield that came with the case and I like it a whole lot better. The Zagg Shield had a slightly gummy feel to it and this one is a lot clearer and smoother to the touch to me.

MoJoe

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
www.joebeleznay.com
I received my ultra clear Nude case today & was disappointed. I also found the packaging to be a pita to get open very unclear how you are to open it, sounds dumb but it was.

Upon getting it out I felt it was a bit too thin n cheap feeling for my taste. The two main reasons I didn't like it were that the bottom area of the shell that surrounded the dock port were pretty sharp and would def catch on something no doubt. They provide you with the dock cover that somewhat helps but I wasn't a fan. Also the other thing that was really annoying was that the back of the phone showed lots of "water marks/smudging" gave it the look that moisture was trapped in back in splotches. No matter how I tried to put it in they kept reappearing. I'm not sure if the other colored cases would show it as clearly.

FYI I'm super happy with the iPad nude ultra clear but the iPhone case fell short of what I expected. Back it goes & I may just stick with my black bumper & sgp front/back protectors.

dsa1971

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Sending mine back. It's ridiculous how easy it scratches. I ordered the switcheasy colors case since I had it for my 3G and liked it

one028

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
ya....i just got mine...i thought this was going to be the case i was looking for...it sucks....the edges are sharp and it feels cheap..