Switching to EVO

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
One thing I don't understand is when Android owners complain about the iPhone's icon system. That's all I saw on my EVO - icons! Am I missing something here?
Every smart phone in one way or another copies what the iPhone is doing or has done. Simple as that. They all have icons, they all have an app store, they all have multitouch screens...oh, wait.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
My white EVO's have shipped! Should have them by the end of the week. I'll post back in a few weeks.
Keep the shipping receipt so you can ship it back in a few weeks when you come back to the iPhone.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My white EVO's have shipped! Should have them by the end of the week. I'll post back in a few weeks.
Congratulations, Krypto! Keep us all updated on your experience with it. You may actually not experience some of the bugs others are... you never know.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well my Wife and I have had our EVO's for 4 days now and we are seriously loving this device. So much customization without rooting its mind blowing. I haven't had any issues aside from learning how to use Android efficiently. It's been fast and smooth in operation for my Wife and I. Seems like we both have hardware version 003 which is the latest and may have worked out some bugs.

The battery life which I've heard isn't very good, has been great for me and lasts all day with heavy usage (web via WiFi & 4G, calls, email & txt). I've been managing my radios and using a radio only when needed, but I did that with my 3GS too. I'll continue playing with it and post back.

sent from Tapatalk using my HTC EVO 4G!

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Well my Wife and I have had our EVO's for 4 days now and we are seriously loving this device. So much customization without rooting its mind blowing. I haven't had any issues aside from learning how to use Android efficiently. It's been fast and smooth in operation for my Wife and I. Seems like we both have hardware version 003 which is the latest and may have worked out some bugs.

The battery life which I've heard isn't very good, has been great for me and lasts all day with heavy usage (web via WiFi & 4G, calls, email & txt). I've been managing my radios and using a radio only when needed, but I did that with my 3GS too. I'll continue playing with it and post back.

How many widgets do you have set up? I ask that because I noticed the more widgets, the faster your battery dies. I couldn't get through a work shift without it dying

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
What I've noticed with my EVO is that its not so much how many widgets you have, but how many are syncing. I have 2 widgets that sync in the background, but I've set them for every 4 hours so they don't impact my battery at all. My other 6 widgets are just switches to manage radios and such.

I think the problem people have with battery life on these highend Android handsets can be attributed to how many, and what apps, widgets, and other background tasks are syncing. You need to really be aware of, and technically proficient enough to manage these things effectively.

For many people this is a hassle, but I like this aspect of Android. It allows me to completely customize every aspect of my experience with my device. That being said, if you need a device that just works without much user intervention, than I would still get an iPhone. It's by far the easiest to use handset ever!

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Ah. Well that's their complaint about the iPhone. That it only has icons and no dynamic homescreen information.

(Unless we jailbreak and use something like Intelliscreen or Homescreen.)

Cheers!
I can't wait for the iPhone 4 jailbreak...I really miss my Intelliscreen! ( and mi-fi) ;)

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I got my wife the EVO and I am seriously jealous of it. I think it's interesting that people complain about the size of it but when you compare the dimensions to the iPhone 4 they really are not all that different; there just is not as much wasted space on the edges so the screen is larger. Love the 4g though as it is very fast and the phone is rock solid, never had to do reboots and no apps crashing. I think the HTC's sense UI is among the most polished user interfaces to date.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
To each their own. I know there are people who just don't care for Apple products. It is their money and personal decision, and they have to do what makes them happy.