Tethering iOS4?

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Just wondering if there was a tethering solution as of yet. I really liked the tethering for 3.1.2 and would like to see that work-around repeated for 4 if possible.

TIA

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
iOS4 supports tethering, but at a pretty high cost. First, you have to give up your unlimited data plan and choose either the 200MB ($15) or 2GB ($25) data plans. Second, there is an additional fee ($20) for tethering, and usage goes against the new data plan.
Obviously is you plan on doing a couple hours of tethering a week, you will use up your data plan pretty quick. and at $45 for tethering and the 2GB data plan, that's steep!

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Maybe I should be more specific. I wish to tether without changing data plans. I only do incidental tethering, I won't pay twice for what I already have.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
What do you mean "incidental tethering"? Either you are tethering "legally" through AT&T, or you're jailbroken and are using an app to tether with, technically against Apple's and AT&T's wishes.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
What do you mean "incidental tethering"? Either you are tethering "legally" through AT&T, or you're jailbroken and are using an app to tether with, technically against Apple's and AT&T's wishes.
WTH? This is the Mod section is it not? I'm running iOS4 j/b'd! I'm not looking to be preached to about Att or Apple "wishes". If you don't have an answer to the OP, why troll?

Now can we get back OT?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Dude, Back up for a second! G-zus H Christmas! I WAS trying to help you, but 1) you were being rather vague. 2) I'm sorry I didn't notice this was in the modifications section.
and 3) I wasn't preaching at you, I was laying everything on the table. My fault for not seeing this was a mod section, but terms like "incidental tethering"...WTH does that mean? Either you're jailbroken and tethering or your not. To me, you were talking like you were avoiding saying it directly.
Find someone else to offer assistance. Hope you don't jump all over their sh!t too.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Dude, Back up for a second! G-zus H Christmas! I WAS trying to help you, but 1) you were being rather vague. 2) I'm sorry I didn't notice this was in the modifications section.
and 3) I wasn't preaching at you, I was laying everything on the table. My fault for not seeing this was a mod section, but terms like "incidental tethering"...WTH does that mean? Either you're jailbroken and tethering or your not. To me, you were talking like you were avoiding saying it directly.
Find someone else to offer assistance. Hope you don't jump all over their sh!t too.
Ok, peace. Mia Culpa. I see you're a longtimer here too. Maybe not enough sleep for me.

Just looking for a tethering solution. I really don't need MyWi or a hotspot type solution. Just looking for a USB tether to get online from my laptop on the one or two days a month that it comes in handy to see a larger screen and I'm not near wifi.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Just an update on the tethering for iOS4. There is a new MyWi 4.0 out that just hit Cydia couple hours ago. This seems to be the tethering solution, but it's not cheap - $20.

There is also a hack-around that is said to work here. I don't like it as it's not a permanent solution.

So I guess these are the current options.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
What the H? Mywi SPECIFICALLY said that mywi would FULLY SUPPORT 3.1.3 users who upgraded to 4. This means they shouldn't have to pay $10 to upgrade. Mywi lied.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
i remember when JB apps were free accepting donations... seems to be about like getting ripped off if you buy drugs who are you going to complain to :-þ

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
What the H? Mywi SPECIFICALLY said that mywi would FULLY SUPPORT 3.1.3 users who upgraded to 4. This means they shouldn't have to pay $10 to upgrade. Mywi lied.

Lets wait and see... current users may get it free. It says its per individual phone but I used it on 2 different phones and didn't get charged.

To the OP I understood what you were asking...We had a tethered solution last summer that didn't require jail breaking, because I used it. It was from Benm site if I remember correctly. I don't expect that to happen again.

The MyWi even at $20 is a steal! I'm waiting patiently for the JB. We want them to have most of the Cydia store working anyhow..that may take a while. 3G unrestricter is working along with SBS settings and some others, Winterboard wasn't ready yet.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Lets wait and see... current users may get it free. It says its per individual phone but I used it on 2 different phones and didn't get charged.

To the OP I understood what you were asking...We had a tethered solution last summer that didn't require jail breaking, because I used it. It was from Benm site if I remember correctly. I don't expect that to happen again.

The MyWi even at $20 is a steal! I'm waiting patiently for the JB. We want them to have most of the Cydia store working anyhow..that may take a while. 3G unrestricter is working along with SBS settings and some others, Winterboard wasn't ready yet.
Thanks bro. And I agree that $20 is an OK price-point compared to the ATT solution. I just liked the Benm solution as it was short, sweet and cheap.