The Apple TV2 is the coolest gadget I have bought in years!

c613m

Bronze
Apr 21, 2011
Canada's Capital
Tried plex. It couldn't even detect my external hard drive. Fail.
Really? I thought it was pretty simple / straightforward. All my media is on external hard drives connected to my Airport Extreme. Plex Media server running on Mac, with both drives active (connected and logged into), and I've never had any problems. It was a little finicky to set up the first time as there are some things to be aware of, like if my External drives haven't spun or been "woken up", I usually get an error on Apple TV, but it's an easy fix once I figured out you just need to wake up the drive. Plays my 720p .mkv 1TB library without a hitch. It is by the far the best media server available on the Apple TV (depending on your setup).

The initial setup without knowing anything was a little annoying. But now it requires zero effort and I can enjoy my HD Movies / TV Shows on both Apple TV's.

If you'd need help in setting it up, let me know!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Really? I thought it was pretty simple / straightforward. All my media is on external hard drives connected to my Airport Extreme. Plex Media server running on Mac, with both drives active (connected and logged into), and I've never had any problems. It was a little finicky to set up the first time as there are some things to be aware of, like if my External drives haven't spun or been "woken up", I usually get an error on Apple TV, but it's an easy fix once I figured out you just need to wake up the drive. Plays my 720p .mkv 1TB library without a hitch. It is by the far the best media server available on the Apple TV (depending on your setup).

The initial setup without knowing anything was a little annoying. But now it requires zero effort and I can enjoy my HD Movies / TV Shows on both Apple TV's.

If you'd need help in setting it up, let me know!
It was simple. But when I set it up my external hard drive never showed up. I'll try it again.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Now for some reason my Netflix on my Apple tv just shows search and logout. Doesn't show Featured, categories or anything else. It worked earlier today. I can still find a movie using search and I can watch it, but the interface is pretty much barren. Ay ideas? I restored the Apple tv but that didn't work.

c613m

Bronze
Apr 21, 2011
Canada's Capital
It was simple. But when I set it up my external hard drive never showed up. I'll try it again.
In Plex, your drive will not show up on your Apple TV. Plex works through a Media Server (your computer), technically, regardless if your drives are connected or not, the information on the Plex Media Server will show up on your Apple TV, the content won't play but the information is still there because it resides on your computer.

Maybe you didn't set up your Plex Server right? In any case, I'm here to help if you have any questions ;)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
In Plex, your drive will not show up on your Apple TV. Plex works through a Media Server (your computer), technically, regardless if your drives are connected or not, the information on the Plex Media Server will show up on your Apple TV, the content won't play but the information is still there because it resides on your computer.

Maybe you didn't set up your Plex Server right? In any case, I'm here to help if you have any questions ;)
I know. I couldnt get it to see my HDD through my ipad. I'll try again in a bit.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Ok. My external hard drive showed up in plex. After I got it all set up, I used my iPad to play plex media through my Apple tv. Plex, for whatever reason, chooses to name my home videos after real movies, even going as far as to show the real movie thumbnail. I'm like, I don't have this movie, so I click on it and it plays a home video. Some movies won't even play through the Apple tv. I'm sticking with good ole air video. No hassle, no problems.

c613m

Bronze
Apr 21, 2011
Canada's Capital
Ok. My external hard drive showed up in plex. After I got it all set up, I used my iPad to play plex media through my Apple tv. Plex, for whatever reason, chooses to name my home videos after real movies, even going as far as to show the real movie thumbnail. I'm like, I don't have this movie, so I click on it and it plays a home video. Some movies won't even play through the Apple tv. I'm sticking with good ole air video. No hassle, no problems.
That's the problem. Plex is meant to be a Media Center but through a database of Movies / TV Shows. For home videos and such, Air Video is better.

lemoon

Bronze
Oct 28, 2010
ATV2+AirVideo=Nirvana.
+1!
it totally worth $99!

We find it great for renting movies among many other things, what's more, it's cool to stream videos&movies, and it is a cool home media centre by using some tools like Handbrake and iFunia for my family.

Borealys

Jul 26, 2011
I bought an ATV2 about 2 months ago after humming and hawing about it since it was released. After plugging it in and going through the setup, it automatically found my iTunes library with my music and digital copy movies (after turning homesharing on). Literally 5 minutes from beginning to end until I was able to use AirPlay to stream my movies. Immediately afterwards I took all of my Blu-ray and DVD movies that had digital copies included with them and redeemed them through the iTunes store. I absolutely LOVE this little device and at 120 dollars (I'm in Canada) it has more than paid for itself 10 times over due to its size, convenience, and ease of use. I have not had one single problem with this wonderful little device and I've even gone so far as to purchase past movies from the iTunes store that I couldn't find anywhere else. Awesome stuff :) I look forward to the iOS 5 when it comes out so my iPhone will work with the mirroring via AirPlay as well as my planned purchase of an iPad2 this fall.

Kudos Apple. You should get an award for this thing :)

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
I wouldn't break the laptop lol still need it to get into iTunes unless buying an IMAc lol;-) or Mac air.
I want an Atv,my next purchase ;-(
I have the iPad n phones ;-/

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Can I use plex or my iPad w component cables on My flat screen?
Granted downstairs flat I have wii lol which does give me Netflix, upstairs I have regular cable n DVD player and in demand.
I'd love to be able to hook up the pad to it And my iTunes stuff pop up

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app