The iPad at work, how would you use it?

Akieta

Jul 16, 2009
Self explanatory title.

I work as a mechanic on the CH-47D Chinook Helicopter with the US Army, and currently i'm deployed within Iraq. I've been intrigued by the Ipad for a few different reasons, but the major one would be for our TM's. (Technical Manuals)

We are required to have the TM (Either a Laptop or Print-Out of the task) with us while performing maintenance on the Aircraft, which isn't always very effective. This is where the Ipad would be perfect for someone in my shoes. It would be amazing to not only have our primary TMs easily at hand, but to have any that could apply to our aircraft.

And given the chance to experiment, I'm sure there's a multitude of other ways in which the Ipad would be amazing due to Apps.

So my question of you, How would an Ipad play a role in your work environment?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
If syncing information from the iPhone/iPod touch to the iPad is feasible, I would be able to use it for transferring information for billing. If a program exists where you can collect data on the handheld in an excel sheet, and then transfer the information to the iPad, I would convert over to it. I am sure it will be possible at some point, if not already.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm a freelance writer. I plan to use my iPad to edit the work I write on my desktop. Often, I print out a copy of a piece I'm working on and carry that with me so I can scribble a few comments when I get a break. I think the iPad will allow me to make the changes directly in the document and upload it to my computer to continue work.

I plan to get a bluetooth keyboard (or steal my son's keyboard) for more typing-intensive work.

Akieta

Jul 16, 2009
About the keyboard, that's one of my major concerns with the Ipad. It seems more like a logistics/viewing tool than an actual computer. Having the Keyboard and "Monitor"(the Ipad) separate from one another brings up a critical thought: In keyboard-reliant situations, I can foresee becoming very frustrated trying to find how to position the two. I would put my keyboard on my lap, but then where would the pad go? Only two logical answers quickly come to mind;

1) Buy a small, portable stand of some sort to prop the Ipad up for viewing.​
2) Set the keyboard further toward my knees and lay the pad below it, closer to my pelvis.​

Both solutions come at a cost that I can see as frustrating;
1) Having to purchase and carry another item, Finding suitable places to use it.​
2) Having to look directly down for pro-longed periods of time, leaning forward, losing awareness of your surroundings.​
I'm not sure how they intend to overcome this, but I can't imagine the Ipad replacing conventional Laptops/Desktops. Not nearly as much as the iPhone did with Cell Phones at-least. Although, I haven't looked into how ergonomic the Ipad on-screen Keyboard is. Maybe it wont even be necessary to have a third party keyboard.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As I understand it, the iPad notebook/case that Apple sells also serves as a stand.

Regardless, I will use the keyboard on a table. I'd prop up the iPad (like a monitor) and place the keyboard in front of it, like a traditional computer. I don't envision using both on my lap. In the places that I would use it would almost always have access to a table. I know that probably wouldn't work in your situation.

I don't see the iPad as a replacement of my desktop computer, but it probably will replace my old, G3 laptop. I use the laptop only on occasions when my desktop isn't available.

An application that I think would be beneficial would be a one-handed keyboard app. Years ago, I heard about a keyboard that used "chords" to type. You would hold down 1, 2 or 3 keys at once for different letters. It would require learning a new keyboard langauge other than QWERTY, but I could see someone like you holding the iPad in your left hand and using your right hand to type.

Akieta

Jul 16, 2009
An application that I think would be beneficial would be a one-handed keyboard app. Years ago, I heard about a keyboard that used "chords" to type. You would hold down 1, 2 or 3 keys at once for different letters. It would require learning a new keyboard langauge other than QWERTY, but I could see someone like you holding the iPad in your left hand and using your right hand to type.
I would love to toy with something like that. I could see myself falling in love with it, although it is obviously less effective... Still. It would something to enjoy. :) If I understood enough about how to develop Apps, I could see myself spending the time to create that myself.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
I'm an emergency medical technician and would love to see an application developed that takes the huge amount of paperwork I need to do for the average emergency and move it to the iPad. So far, the move to digital has started with care reports and protocol manuals put on netbooks and tablet PCs, but I could only imagine how awesome and user friendly it could become on the device.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I'm a Windows software developer. I plan to use it to take notes, show demos and access my Windows desktop via terminal app. I will also whack people that are being stupid with it. I hope it's pretty tough.

I am also looking into writing home automation software. The iPad will make a sick controller for such.

scootdc

Mar 25, 2010
"Work" for me is going to be school for physician assistant and, initially I would use the iPad for writing and organizing notes. Would love to see an application to help with patient management, EMR, billing, etc. once out in the field. I'm sure someone will develop it...just a matter of time.

Lizy

Bronze
Mar 24, 2010
I'm a student and for most of the time i enjoy writing fictional story so I think it will be useful for my writing - stories or essay for school.

corygreenwell

Mar 25, 2010
I work in the music industry and we are constantly out to meetings, trying to show our artists off at meetings by playing music or looking at videos of others and the result is we end up emailing the person the myspace link or pulling out our laptops and it's a hassle....the iPad is going to be the perfect fix for this, particularly once others start using html5 like youtube and cbs are testing out now.

Salsero6

Mar 25, 2010
Dublin, CA
Sometimes I do surveys (customer statisfaction, opinions, etc.) and I could easily use the iPad with web based survey tools. It would make data entry a snap.

mkanfer

Mar 18, 2009
I think is a good opportunity for the iPad. I have seen doctor's who use tablet devices to enter patient info and they find it very easy to work with.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
i am a nurse and have seen doctors already use iPhone apps to log patient info and schedule procedures and what not. heck, we use a version of palm devices every day for blood glucose monitoring (called Accuchek). with the advancement of technology in the medical field (especially now that everyone is shifting from handwritten to digital files), the possibilities are endless.

runcmd

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Rabun Gap, GA
After the ooh's and aaah's settle down and the device gets less handled by those waiting to see it before they buy it ---- then mine will settle down -at work- to being a desktop picture viewer. I have a security cam at home that I built a web interface for that lets me pan/zoom/switch views etc ... w ith this ipad - I'll be able to stream my webcams when some activity occurs and alternatively look a my pix streamed from my site. The screen size sets it apart from anything else available.

indydoug

Sep 2, 2007
I'm also a freelancer. I'm also using a four-year-old MacBook. It's one of the original 13" MacBook Intel machines from the summer of 2006 when they were introduced. I'm thinking of getting a nice iMac for my desk at home and wondering if an iPad plus keyboard would be sufficient for use in my office, which is really just (a) a quiet place I go to for concentrated work on just one or two documents and (b) a more central venue than home for moving around the area for meetings. Do I need all three products in the new Apple lineup — desktop, iPad, and iPhone? Not really sure. Thoughts? Reactions? One strong concern is lack of multitasking on iPad.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Doug,
I think the multitasking will come around eventually. The ability is there, now. Apple is just being very cautious.

It really depends on you and your situation. I'm hoping I can retire my 2004 12" MacBook pro, and use my iPad and my iMac (and iPhone, of course).

applehappi

Bronze
Mar 30, 2010
NYC
My job has me going to different college campus with an engineering program and different organizations to give presentations about the ethics and laws regarding licensure within the state, I also do sit-ins on various continuing education courses and take notes while there that will then be used for a report that I have put together. On the side, I blog. I am also currently enrolled in school for my masters degree. So I have many uses at work that will make having an ipad very useful. That doesn't even begin to delve in to the recreational uses I have in-store for it. I CANNOT WAIT!

JamieStr

Jun 23, 2011
Hmm. I'm basically a Business Analyst for a company, and I've found the iPad to be overwhelmingly useful. I use it in meetings, ranging from Sales & Marketing to internal strategizing meetings. Although I love it, I mostly played Angry Birds until recently.

My friend works for a company called OS Insights, and they are releasing this iPad for Work Guide at www.osinsights.com, and I've found it extremely useful thus far. Especially when I travel, I'll sometimes pop the PDF back open. I'm using my iPad more because of it in general, and have retired my 17" MacBook Pro.