the iPad was just on the Grammy's !

joshwithachance

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
stephen colbert whipped it out of nowhere when he's like "what are the nominees for song of the year?" it's such a chic looking device ! it auto rotate's quite swiftly as well.

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
yes i just saw that, kinda weird, wasn't it suppose to be release in like 2 months or so ?, or is Apple giving tablets ''under the table'' to exclusive, rich customers like stephen colbert, who are willing to pay more, just to have a product before its even released..

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
It's called product placement promotion. Colbert didn't pay for it (and may not have gotten to keep it).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
He did openly beg for one on his show last Wednesday. He was an early iPhone adapter and is constantly hawking it rather blatantly on his show. I'm pretty sure he's got an in with Apple at this point and this is surely a marketing ploy.

Regardless, I love Colbert!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The Daily Show suffered? I disagree wholeheartedly. TDS is as good as it's ever been right now. And Colbert is not as funny, I'll admit. But if you watch him day in and day out, his humor really grows on you. And his interviews are great when the interviewee plays along and into it. Anyway, I think he's a brilliant performer.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Eh I only ever really watched TDS for the side commentators like Colbert, Corddry, and such. Once they left the show just wasn't the same or as good.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Dang! I had to get out of the 12 new apps thread things were getting a little heated. Anyways I see what your saying Dave. So basically Apple probably gave him the ipad to use on the Grammys for millions to watch and go wow! He's got the new ipad.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Dang! I had to get out of the 12 new apps thread things were getting a little heated. Anyways I see what your saying Dave. So basically Apple probably gave him the ipad to use on the Grammys for millions to watch and go wow! He's got the new ipad.
Of course. I'm surprised that so many people don't get the marketing angle.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
How about when he looked at his wife and said " Honey? do I look cool?" while holding up the iPad. She shook her head "no."
THAT was funny.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
When you say he got one as a marketing ploy what do you mean? Like people will be like "oh steve colbert has one I got to get one of those!"
It's a prop used for marketing. I doubt he got to keep it. It's not much different than the mulit-million dollar jewelery famous women get to wear to these events. These items are recovered as soon as the event is over. It's all about promotion.

I'm sure Apple will give him one for free, although it will probably be on release day.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he got to keep the iPad. It's not exactly comparable to multi-million-dollar jewelry.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's the principle. Nobody (except Apple Insiders) should have it before release day. I'll have to research it to see if he got to keep it. Right now, I'm still saying no.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It's the principle. Nobody (except Apple Insiders) should have it before release day.
do you really think Apple cares that much?

free publicity to millions of viewers by one of america's favorite performers, let go of an iPad 60 days before the general public. It's a pretty decent tradeoff. Plus i'm sure he got a nice little check for it too.