The Official iPhone 2.0 Software Update

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
so you must have syncd from a "different" computer right
Sort of....yesterday morning, I downloaded the pre-release software and ran the upgrade from my home computer (Macbook Pro). This is where my music library is. I noticed that my apps were running a lot slower than they normally did and when I got in to work this morning, I saw a few posts about how the pre-release file had debug code in it that may make apps run slow. Doh!

So, I ran iTunes on my work desktop (Windows PC), connected the phone and told it to Check for Update. I got the message back that my iPhone had the latest version (2.0). So, I told iTunes to Restore. At that point, I got a dialog asking if I wanted to backup my phone and I said to back it up. It then gave me a dialog saying it would put 2.0 on my phone and listed some of the new features. I clicked OK and iTunes downloaded a new file and did the upgrade from that file. Before the upgrade, it backed up my phone onto my work PC so when the upgrade eventually completed, it asked me if I wanted to restore from that backup. I said Yes and all is ok, except no music but I'll put that back on when I get home to my Music Library.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
so you had no issues...all your previous info is still on your phone after update right?
Everything is fine. All the info is there. Of course I can to re-synch my music/video files from my iTunes back onto the iPhone, but my contacts, info, etc. was all on there.

Downloaded my first app to test it out.

la_ishere

Jan 3, 2008
Lexington, KY
If Apple released the 2.0 up-date yesterday todays problems wouldn't be as bad. Apple knew today was going to be a crazy day they made it that way.
You're right. Some loyalty to the folks who bought it first would have been nice. Especially since unless we want to pay considerably more for the new one (if we are under a current contract), we'll have to wait.

The software update last week would have been excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Sort of....yesterday morning, I downloaded the pre-release software and ran the upgrade from my home computer (Macbook Pro). This is where my music library is. I noticed that my apps were running a lot slower than they normally did and when I got in to work this morning, I saw a few posts about how the pre-release file had debug code in it that may make apps run slow. Doh!

So, I ran iTunes on my work desktop (Windows PC), connected the phone and told it to Check for Update. I got the message back that my iPhone had the latest version (2.0). So, I told iTunes to Restore. At that point, I got a dialog asking if I wanted to backup my phone and I said to back it up. It then gave me a dialog saying it would put 2.0 on my phone and listed some of the new features. I clicked OK and iTunes downloaded a new file and did the upgrade from that file. Before the upgrade, it backed up my phone onto my work PC so when the upgrade eventually completed, it asked me if I wanted to restore from that backup. I said Yes and all is ok, except no music but I'll put that back on when I get home to my Music Library.

oooh! i see...well, i'm going to do the official whenever i get to my macbook...and everything should be proper right?...i didn't do the pre-release...didn't know anything about...i'm the updating from iTunes...the official one right? ...didn't this happen on the last update? -when there was some sort of pre-release update?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Everything is fine. All the info is there. Of course I can to re-synch my music/video files from my iTunes back onto the iPhone, but my contacts, info, etc. was all on there.

Downloaded my first app to test it out.

ok...that's cool let me know how everything is running...so how long was your process...

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
oooh! i see...well, i'm going to do the official whenever i get to my macbook...and everything should be proper right?...i didn't do the pre-release...didn't know anything about...i'm the updating from iTunes...the official one right? ...didn't this happen on the last update? -when there was some sort of pre-release update?
I'm not sure if it happened before. If you let iTunes update you and you didn't do the pre-release update manually, you will get the official update.

dsan79

Jul 22, 2007
I also DL'd the pre-release 2.0 yesterday, and my phone is working flawlessly. Apps run just fine. Has it actually been confirmed that yesterday's 2.0 was actually not the final version? I have a hard time believing that since I don't see any signs of issues with my phone.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I also DL'd the pre-release 2.0 yesterday, and my phone is working flawlessly. Apps run just fine. Has it actually been confirmed that yesterday's 2.0 was actually not the final version? I have a hard time believing that since I don't see any signs of issues with my phone.
With 2.0, your Contacts is a separate app now. Bring it up and count how many seconds it takes before it lets you scroll around in them. With the pre-release, it was taking 5-10 seconds for mine to let me scroll. With the official release, it takes about 3 seconds. The same thing happened with Notes...pre-release seemed to take longer before I could do anything in Notes than the official one did.

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
GUYS WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THE PREVIOUS (1.1.4) SO I CAN UPDATE TO 2.0?!?!?! I GOT TO PRE RELEASE!
I'm scared now.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I'm not sure if it happened before. If you let iTunes update you and you didn't do the pre-release update manually, you will get the official update.

ok. that's what i needed to know. thanks. so what's with the people that said they don't have the update and its well after 2pm EST

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Yeppers! I got excided a minute ago because I got the Update Available popup, but when I clicked, nadda. :( I click it again and I'm back to 1.4.4 is the latest version.
what's goin' on...did you jailbreak your phone? ...i don't understand how iTunes has yet to recognize your phone