The "perfect" holster case

Lurk

Jul 17, 2007
What else do you want to know about it. I have one. It's a nice leather and looks good. The belt clip ratchets which is great.. it stays in position rather then flopping down like nonratcheting ones. The inside is soft material.

The only issues could be weather the clip could break over time and if the screen could be scratched if something sharp got into the case.

I think an ideal sleeve would be one just like the the marware one with room for the iPhone in a rubber sleeve. With the marware sleeve you are still left with a naked iPhone. I'd rather have it wrapped in rubber so if it drops its better protected. I guess a rubber sleeve like the revo with a ratcheting belt clip and a visor like the revo would be ideal for me.... but such a case does not exist.... yet.. .unless the iskin people make a revo w/ a belt clip.
It's not that I need spec information about it. Mark seems to have a lot of the same tastes as far as cases go as I do. He has the same complaints I've had about cases - so I'm interested to hear what he would say after using it. Maybe he finds something troublesome about it that you don't?

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
This Is It!

I received my MarWare CEO Sleeve today and I'm happy to report that it is my favorite holster-style case to-date!

Case: Very attractive leather case with elastic sides that hug the iPhone perfectly! Not too loose and just tight enough to allow some loosening over time yet still be snug enough. Nice contrasting stitching and, what feels to be, flexible plastic under the leather (vs. cardboard) to help retain the shape. Best of all, no ugly company logo on the outside of the case (instead, discretely attached on the back of the case, out of sight when attached to your belt).

Belt Clip: I'm particularly happy with the optional Spring Clip belt clip that I ordered to go along with CEO Sleeve. Although the Spring Clip doesn't accommodate thicker belts, it is, in every other respect, exactly what I was looking for in a belt clip. Fixed vertical position, no ratcheting, and tight up against the case so the case (and iPhone) are held close to the body.

As mentioned previously, the MarWare case use the Multidapt system:

http://www.multidapt.com/products.php

Here are some photos with my iPhone in place so you can see the excellent coverage and just how nicely the Spring Clip attaches to the case.

Two big thumbs up!

Mark

P.S. If someone eventually does come along with NICE two-piece combo with a nice leather protective shell that protects the iPhone and a nice leather holster that accommodates the iPhone with the leather protective shell on it, that's one I'll consider too!

pr0xy122

Aug 7, 2007
funny I prefer it a lot more in my pocket, i feel uncomfortable with a phone around a belt.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I just went to Vaja, and WOW what a case! AND they use the rivet clip system. Before I got my iPhone, I have had used the Rivet clip system for my Nokia 6620 for the past 3 years. VERY durable and secure!.
I really like the top holster for all the protection it provides and it still looks sleek.
I already got a Marware Sidewinder case shortly after I got my iPhone. Their clip system broke and it's going back, so this is more like what I was looking for, plus it's customizable, and uses a clip system I already know and trust.
In a word- Perfect (for me at least)

Lurk

Jul 17, 2007
Excellent review. My one question I have is how you take the iPhone out of it's case when you want to use it. What method works best with this sleeve?

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Excellent review. My one question I have is how you take the iPhone out of it's case when you want to use it. What method works best with this sleeve?
I just grab the top edges (sides) with a finger on one side and thumb on the other and pull it out. Since that doesn't give a lot to hang onto (wouldn't want to drop the iPhone), I pull it up part of the way with the finger and thumb, stop briefly, and swing the rest of my fingers down onto the side and get the palm of my hand up against the back of the iPhone to "cup" it a bit as I pull it completely out. (I store the iPhone in the CEO Sleeve with the screen facing my body, not facing out.)

You can also use the finger and thumb down at the bottom side openings to hoist the iPhone up just a bit to allow a better grip when you move back up to the top to finish pulling it out.

Mark

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
My quest for the "perfect" holster case continues. I prefer to use my cell phone "naked" (the phone, not me) and I also prefer to carry them on my belt/hip, not in a pocket. That's how I've carried all my previous cell phones and that's how I want to carry my iPhone.

When I purchased the iPhone the only case immediately available that fit my needs was the Griffin Elan Holster:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanholster/

There it was, right at the Apple store and, quite frankly, it is the one I continue to use (as I look for the "perfect" holster case). But the leather quality isn't that great and I don't care for the embossed design and I'm particularly not happy with the way the belt clip is moveable/removeable. Since it isn't secured down inside the case, the case will sometimes twist a bit on my belt.

Since the Griffin wasn't the "perfect" case for me, I next ordered a Sena Elega Pouch:

http://www.senacases.com/Brands/apple-iphone-Cases/APPLE-iPHONE-ELEGA-POUCH

Outstanding leather quality and outstanding construction. But the sides of the Elega are too tall to allow me to easily grasp the iPhone to remove it from the pouch (Sena should have lowered the sides a bit to allow more finger room to grasp the edges of the iPhone). Plus, the darn "ratchet" belt clip turns WAY too easily. Same problem as with the Griffin... all too easy for the case to become askew. The Elega went back.

Then I got my hopes up over the iQase Swift:

http://www.iqase.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

That one arrived today. Very nice leather quality and EXCELLENT belt clip design. Unfortunately, the case is much too loose. So much so that a bit of jogging with the case on my belt actually causes the iPhone to bounce up and down inside the case. And, to top it off, the material that iQase used on the sides has a coarse texture and I'm concerned that it might wear the finish on my iPhone over repeated insert/removal from the case.

So, the Swift is going back too and I'll continue to use the Griffin until I find the "perfect" vertical holster case.

If anyone spots one, please let me know. My silly requirements:

* Quality leather
* Soft interior and soft side material (the leather sides the Griffin uses is fine)
* Full coverage for the face and back of the iPhone
* Vertical orientation
* Good belt clip that doesn't twist
* Open at the top (no flap)
* Low enough on the sides to allow easy grasp of the sides of the iPhone
* Nice snug fit that won't allow the iPhone to drop out of it should you turn it upside down
* No giant white logos or other ugly ornamentation
* Good quality interior material that resists bending but remains flexible (the iQase feels like it is simply stiff cardboard inside... the Griffin and the Sena felt more like a firm but slightly flexible plastic material)

I see that iQase is running a design a case contest. The "perfect" case would be the elegance of the Sena combined with the belt clip of the iQase combined with the easier access (grasp) and snugger fit of the Griffin. But that would still be so close to the iQase Swift that I don't see them making a new case. I spoke with the owner and he didn't seem to care about my concerns over the fit and side material quality (too coarse).

Maybe I should just go to a nice leather shop and have them make one to my specifications?

Mark
2nd link holster looks nice the 3rd looks even better

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Been using the Marware CEO Sleeve with optional spring clip for 10 days now. I'm pleased to report the case is working out perfectly! It does a great job of protecting my iPhone, it slips on and off my belt with ease, and the iPhone slides in and out of the case when needed, yet holds firm when in place.

The Mareware CEO Sleeve's leather continues to look great. Leather quality and construction is dramatically superior to either the Griffin Elan Holster or the iQase Swift. The only case that topped Marware CEO Sleeve in leather quality and construction was the SENA Pouch. But the SENA Pouch's design was too boxy, didn't allow me to grab the iPhone easily to remove it, and the SENA's belt clip was the worst of all of them.

The Mareware CEO Sleeve continues to get my endorsement as the "perfect" holster case for the iPhone (that is, IF you order the optional Spring Clip too).

Mark

bobbyt

Aug 22, 2007
I have my iPhone in a protective case, currently the iSkin Revo. Previously I had the Contour iSee. Because of this I wanted to specifically find a horizontal pouch that could fit the iPhone inside a case.

I stumbled across the following case, which (while not made for the iPhone) fits the iPhone inside a case perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-horizonal-fashion-leather-pouch/dp/B000H7G0RI

Interestingly, because the case has notches presumably for antenna for its intended phone, the case is perfectly designed to allow leaving headphones connected while the phone is in the holster.

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I have my iPhone in a protective case, currently the iSkin Revo. Previously I had the Contour iSee. Because of this I wanted to specifically find a horizontal pouch that could fit the iPhone inside a case.

I stumbled across the following case, which (while not made for the iPhone) fits the iPhone inside a case perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-horizonal-fashion-leather-pouch/dp/B000H7G0RI

Interestingly, because the case has notches presumably for antenna for its intended phone, the case is perfectly designed to allow leaving headphones connected while the phone is in the holster.
Sweet! Thanks for the post! I have the revo also and been looking for a case that will work with the revo installed. This will work nice! Just ordered one.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
stay away from belkin slim fit, it falls off!

used to be a big fan of this case but it has fallen off twice now and I found it once in my truck and once on the lawn. It is just too scary and prone to falling off your pants to use!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Am i the only one who sees the swivel clip as a problem? When worn horizontally, what holds the phone in?

tjmaxwell

Sep 10, 2007
I have very similar requirements as you, Mark. I wanted a holster case with a low profile and a simple design. I wanted a thin, standard belt clip, not one of those huge ratcheting plastic ones. For these reasons, I went with the Griffin Elan Holster and have been using it for a couple of months. Everything has been fine until I went on vacation last week. I very nearly lost the phone twice thanks to the case slipping off the belt clip. The belt clip remained firmly attached to my belt, but the entire case fell off and I didn't even notice it. The first time, I happened to look down and see it as I walked by. The second time, a kind individual at the airport saw me drop it and returned it to me. Otherwise, it would've been gone for good. I'm now searching for a new case and will look into the Marware solution you decided on. I'm also considering splurging for the Vaja iVolution SP even though it doesn't really meet the requirements. The important thing is that I don't lose it. ;)

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
oredered the marware ceo sleeve w/ spring clip as per review above and also $6 car holder. I'll let you know what I think after it comes this week.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
marware ceo sleeve

Got the case today and the only things I can add to Marks review above are:

1. Optional spring clip does not hold as securely as the orginal clip on my jeans. I am a little worried about it falling off after my experiences with the belkin slim fit which definitely falls off without notice.

2. Original clip is more secure but holds the phone what feels like way out from your body. Looks like it could snag?

3. Both clips fit easily into the car adapter with the original clip being easier than the spring clip to pull out of the car adapter.

4. The plastic screen protector that came with the CEO sleeve... how in the heck do you get that thing on in a way that looks decent? Had air bubbles on corners I couldn't get rid of then cleaned it several times and now if I put that thing on it looks like my phone has the measles with nasty aribubbles everywhere (won't squeegee out with cccard eaither) so I think I am not going to use the screen protector

Maximus808

Feb 9, 2008
*BodyGuardz Film*

I registered with this site because I saw this thead and wanted to put some input. Before my iPhone, I had a palm treo and used the BodyGuadz clear protective body shield over it. I now use it for my iPhone and it is the very best protection I can find for the phone from everyday use. Now, combine the shield with a leather pouch or holster and it's the perfect combination. However, do no try this combination with the *Griffin Elan Holster* as the dye from the leather faded onto the body shield. I was reading this thead and is actually considering getting the case Mark suggested. However, I was really looking into the Swift from Iqase because with the bodyshield, the phone is less prone to slip out of the holster (it adds thickness to your phone, very little and grip to not allow the phone to fall out.) I was really considering the Sena Elega Pouch because of the great reviews over the web and I actually went to the Apple store and tried it out. However, it is just way too tight for the iPhone especially with the bodyshield. Listed below is the perfect case and it just might be the Marware with the Spring Clip or the iQase Swift.

1. Snug Holster Fit but loose enough to easily get the phone out
2. Attached clip not detachable. Slim design snug to belt/pants.
3. Good quality leather (*not like the Griffin Elan Holster*)
4. Price? At this point I'm willing to pay for a good case for the iPhone.

Maximus