Tips And Tricks

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Battery Life
After unplugging my phone from 7am-9pm, I had 3/4 bar available. In order to achieve this I did the following... Charge your phone from the included Wall jack until the battery par shows a wall plug symbol. Turn off Wi-Fi, but if you are a home user, set it up to always connect to your home. Anytime you go elsewhere, manually connect to Wi-Fi.
How do you turn off WiFi, yet still have it connect to your home network? Do you mean that you have to turn WiFi off and on whenever you leave and return home?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
How do you turn off WiFi, yet still have it connect to your home network? Do you mean that you have to turn WiFi off and on whenever you leave and return home?
I can confirm battery life is MUCH better with WiFi turned off.

I only turn on WiFi when I need it and immediately connect to the network I choose (set it not to ask me to join). When I'm done I turn WiFi back off.

I'd love to see Apple put an On/Off toggle on the home screen for both bluetooth and WiFi.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
Ditto on the "adding items like wifi/bt settings to the home page". :)

On the battery thing, I've been not letting it sit overnight for charging. My WM5 device did and the battery quickly declined into nothing in about a year. The replacement is doing the same and I hardly ever leave it plugged in overnight. My two laptops at home, Gateway and Sony Vaio, both have the same problem. If you leave them plugged in constantly (We do) the battery drains/charges over and over and over again all day long every day and after about 1.5 years they are not holding more than 10 mins of charge. Replacements for both did the same thing in another year or a year and a half.

So don't charge it if it isn't in need or isn't going to be in need for a few more hours (i.e. you are willing to risk it).

:)

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
I can confirm battery life is MUCH better with WiFi turned off.

I only turn on WiFi when I need it and immediately connect to the network I choose (set it not to ask me to join). When I'm done I turn WiFi back off.

I'd love to see Apple put an On/Off toggle on the home screen for both bluetooth and WiFi.

Amen, I second that. Even one button that brought up a menu for Wifi and bluetooth. Until not I have used an HTC Wizard with Phone Alarm. Having quick access to wireless functions is great. When I get in the car I hit the Bluetooth button and it connects to my radio. It's a great power saving feature.

c1ockwerk

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
while typing if you hold your finger down on the keyboard you can scroll around to the letter/number/symbol you want then take your finger up and it will select the letter.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
this may sound dumb but when you are in safari in landscape mode , when you want to zoom in , instead of pinching with your index and your thumb you can just pinch with your two thumbs just by putting them in the middle of the screen and pinching. I find this helpful, but only works in landscape mode.

kidapollo

Jul 1, 2007
I've been getting incredible battery life times. I don't know how much all this affects it or not, but I'll share what I've been doing.

I have a passcode set (there is personal information in this thing, afterall, and I don't want anyone from work trolling around on it when I'm not aware.). I also have it set to switch to "locked" after idle for a minute. I've kept the Wi-Fi option turned on, so it switches whenever it can find a WiFi network. I have email set to check manually, so when you open mail, it runs through my accounts to check. I also keep the auto-brightness on. Ultimately, though, I keep it locked as soon as I'm done using it. I last charged it Thusday morning. Had it on all day Thursday, with some use, not a lot. Had it on all day Friday, and took some calls and listened to music for most of my shift at work. Also checked email frequently. It's now 3:15 a.m. Saturday and my battery is registering as full.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've been getting incredible battery life times. I don't know how much all this affects it or not, but I'll share what I've been doing.

I have a passcode set (there is personal information in this thing, afterall, and I don't want anyone from work trolling around on it when I'm not aware.). I also have it set to switch to "locked" after idle for a minute. I've kept the Wi-Fi option turned on, so it switches whenever it can find a WiFi network. I have email set to check manually, so when you open mail, it runs through my accounts to check. I also keep the auto-brightness on. Ultimately, though, I keep it locked as soon as I'm done using it. I last charged it Thusday morning. Had it on all day Thursday, with some use, not a lot. Had it on all day Friday, and took some calls and listened to music for most of my shift at work. Also checked email frequently. It's now 3:15 a.m. Saturday and my battery is registering as full.
Wow, I'm sure a lot of people are going to try this out now! thanks!

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
I can attest to what KidApollo said.

Mine is configured about the same way (except I disabled "ask to join" on WiFi so it only joins my configured WiFis if it sees them, else it doesn't continue scanning).

My battery is great as well. It lasts the entire day and next morning showing at least 50-75% charge. I don't think it's ever gone below 50% in fact.

I charge it up for an hour or maybe 2-3 hours each night and NEVER leave it on the charger overnight or for more than 8 hours..

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I can attest to what KidApollo said.

Mine is configured about the same way (except I disabled "ask to join" on WiFi so it only joins my configured WiFis if it sees them, else it doesn't continue scanning).

My battery is great as well. It lasts the entire day and next morning showing at least 50-75% charge. I don't think it's ever gone below 50% in fact.

I charge it up for an hour or maybe 2-3 hours each night and NEVER leave it on the charger overnight or for more than 8 hours..
FYI the battery is lithium-based battery not a nickel-based battery. It doesn't have a memory. Therefore its ok to charge the phone at different intervals or to even leave it on the charger all night. It trickle charges after the first couple hours anyways. Apple has done a great job with the battery on this phone as well as the macbooks, ipods, etc.

There may be "X" amount of cycles, but simply plugging and unplugging the phone does not count as 1 cycle. Read here (http://www.apple.com/batteries/) to get a better explanation. If you use the istat widget, look and see how many cycles you've gone through verse how many times you plug and unplug it from the charger. Personally mine says 87 charges and I've had it for almost a year and use it every day for work.

Bottom line for me is that most likely I won't have this phone in a couple years because I'll upgrade to whatever iPhone is out at that time.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
To clarify, I don't want to leave it on the charger overnight because it could (dis)charge enough times to wear out the battery sooner.

I left my WM5 phone (XV6700) in its cradle all the time and after about a year, it won't hold a charge for more than 20 mins.

I have two laptops at home (Gateway and Sony Vaio) and leave them plugged in constantly. Both laptops had batteries which wouldn't hold a charge after 1 year. I got new batteries for them which worked great (4-hours or so) for and then slowly got down to around holding only 5 minutes of charge again after about a year.

So I figure if the battery isn't dead, don't plug it in.. :)

R1 Kid

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah in the end your probably safer by just not charging it till it needs it. I know my Alienware battery was shot after the first year. But my MacBook has held up like a champ. So I trust Apple's products a little more. Especially since I do my iPod the same way and I've had it for about 2 years and still going strong.

irondentist

Jun 30, 2007
Awork around to delete bulk e-mail on Yahoo mail.

Add a link to Yahoo mail to your Safari bookmark. From there you can check delete all to remove all unwanted e-mails. Its a couple of steps but better than deleting a hundred spams one at a time.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
going to the dialpad, pressing and holding #1 will bring you to your traditional voicemail. so you don't always have to use visual voicemail.