Tips And Tricks

dleite13

Jul 8, 2007
I've been getting incredible battery life times. I don't know how much all this affects it or not, but I'll share what I've been doing.

I have a passcode set (there is personal information in this thing, afterall, and I don't want anyone from work trolling around on it when I'm not aware.). I also have it set to switch to "locked" after idle for a minute. I've kept the Wi-Fi option turned on, so it switches whenever it can find a WiFi network. I have email set to check manually, so when you open mail, it runs through my accounts to check. I also keep the auto-brightness on. Ultimately, though, I keep it locked as soon as I'm done using it. I last charged it Thusday morning. Had it on all day Thursday, with some use, not a lot. Had it on all day Friday, and took some calls and listened to music for most of my shift at work. Also checked email frequently. It's now 3:15 a.m. Saturday and my battery is registering as full.
Dude whats the point of having it if you don't use it, theres no way you would have that battery life

kidapollo

Jul 1, 2007
Dude whats the point of having it if you don't use it, theres no way you would have that battery life
I collect expensive paperweights. And, man, this thing keeps paper from moving anywhere! I turned a box fan directly onto my desk, and everything else blew all over the room, except for the iPhone and the papers under it. Incredible.

I didn't say I don't use it. I merely stated that I was getting decent battery life using it as a phone. Which is exactly what it is. A phone. The extras are awesome, but when I'm on the road all day and I can't get to a charger, it's nice to know that the iPhone isn't going to crap out. I'm not replacing a laptop or my desktop Mac with this thing. I'm replacing a cell phone. And as a cell phone, it has good battery life.

dleite13

Jul 8, 2007
I collect expensive paperweights. And, man, this thing keeps paper from moving anywhere! I turned a box fan directly onto my desk, and everything else blew all over the room, except for the iPhone and the papers under it. Incredible.

I didn't say I don't use it. I merely stated that I was getting decent battery life using it as a phone. Which is exactly what it is. A phone. The extras are awesome, but when I'm on the road all day and I can't get to a charger, it's nice to know that the iPhone isn't going to crap out. I'm not replacing a laptop or my desktop Mac with this thing. I'm replacing a cell phone. And as a cell phone, it has good battery life.
If you wanted a phone I think you may have went the wrong route there buddy, I'm sure it gets pretty hot/windy in a newspaper stand anyway, well good luck w/ your $650 phone, better sell a lot of NY Times LOL

kycophpd

Bronze
https

For those of you needing to log into a site with https at the beginning, Safari on the phone will not allow you to type in the address with the s (for secure). It automatically adds the http:// to the beginning of any address.

This is the way I log into my work address.

I entered the address with the https into a bookmark and now when I click on the bookmark, it goes directly to the site.

psychoticpanda

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
New York
I've been getting incredible battery life times. I don't know how much all this affects it or not, but I'll share what I've been doing.

I have a passcode set (there is personal information in this thing, afterall, and I don't want anyone from work trolling around on it when I'm not aware.). I also have it set to switch to "locked" after idle for a minute. I've kept the Wi-Fi option turned on, so it switches whenever it can find a WiFi network. I have email set to check manually, so when you open mail, it runs through my accounts to check. I also keep the auto-brightness on. Ultimately, though, I keep it locked as soon as I'm done using it. I last charged it Thusday morning. Had it on all day Thursday, with some use, not a lot. Had it on all day Friday, and took some calls and listened to music for most of my shift at work. Also checked email frequently. It's now 3:15 a.m. Saturday and my battery is registering as full.
Really ? i use my iPhone like for like 5 hours a day for like internet phone and txting, and i have like half life. well maybe i didn't charge it or something.. ?

Schrocker

Jul 7, 2007
West Coast
Tip: Scroll through your contacts quickly

If you have a lot of contacts in your iPhone...it gets a little cumbersome to do that nifty roledex flip through thing to get to a contact that's somewhere in the middle or end of the list. (Even though I love that feature.)

With your contacts list open, there also appears a little grey bar with the alphabet along the right hand side of the list.

If you click and hold on that bar, and then drag your finger down to a letter in the alphabet, to say the letter "G" for example, the contact list will automatically scroll to the "G" section of your contacts. Let go and you'll stay in that section. (this works similar to the trick with the magnifying glass used as a cursor)

Very useful if you've stored a lot of contacts (I have 257) and need to navigate to a section quickly.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
If you have a lot of contacts in your iPhone...it gets a little cumbersome to do that nifty roledex flip through thing to get to a contact that's somewhere in the middle or end of the list. (Even though I love that feature.)

With your contacts list open, there also appears a little grey bar with the alphabet along the right hand side of the list.

If you click and hold on that bar, and then drag your finger down to a letter in the alphabet, to say the letter "G" for example, the contact list will automatically scroll to the "G" section of your contacts. Let go and you'll stay in that section. (this works similar to the trick with the magnifying glass used as a cursor)

Very useful if you've stored a lot of contacts (I have 257) and need to navigate to a section quickly.
Actually, if you tap and drag, it will scroll the alphabet letters. But if you just do a single tap on a particular letter on the right side of the screen where the alphabet letters reside, it will automatically open your contacts up at that letter.

Very useful for me, since I have nearly 1200 contacts. The Rolodex accelerometer scroll is the coolest eye candy I've ever seen on a PDA, but at some point, I actually have to FIND a contact. :)

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Ok, I got the sync to work with Entourage on OSX.

1) Update your Entourage by opening the application and selecting Help>Check for Updates.
2) In Entourage go to Entourage>Preferences and you will see this screen:

Check the two boxes you see that I have checked, this will transfer your Entourage contacts to your Address Book and iCalendar. Be sure to merge them if they are horribly out of sync, don't do a replace or you might lose something.

3) Connect your iPhone to iTunes and check the following boxes:

Hit "Apply" and it will sync your contacts and your calendar with your iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

lafilip

Jul 2, 2007
If your on the 'keypad' screen inside the 'phone' menu and no number is displayed you can hit the green 'call' button to call the last number.

c1ockwerk

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
while in a phone call if you hit the home button it puts the call at the top with a green bar and you can mess around on the phone like check your calendar and stuff and just hit the top bar to return to the call. You can still talk on the phone while doing this.

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I got a tip.

Don't pull your iPhone out in a public place during the first month unless you want to demo it to 1 million strangers.

Use a Bluetooth headset if you want to be discrete.

Cash

Jul 5, 2007
I got a couple.

To delete emails just slide your finger over the email(same way you unlock the phone)and the delete button will pop up.

If you shutdown the iPod app by holding the home button for few seconds while listening to a song,the name of the song will be displayed under the time display before you unlock your phone.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If your mail can no longer connect and check for mail (IMAP only?) and the list of mail is empty while you know you have mail, and it continues this way for hours while your Mac can check the same mailbox fine, this worked for me:
  1. delete the mail account on the iPhone (it is IMAP so it's ok)
  2. connect the iPhone to the computer
  3. iTunes > iPhone > Info, uncheck the mail account so it should not sync
  4. hit Apply to sync with that setup
  5. check that mail account so it will sync next time
  6. hit Apply to sync with that setup
  7. now the account should appear on the iPhone and sync email fine

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
How do you close the browser or applications because to me it seems they are always open. I mean when I finish browsing and hit home later when I open browser it is wide open right where I left off and this is what's draining my battery.

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
i always have a new page open thats blank. I open a second page, if i use safari, after i finish with a web page i just click on the x of the pages i want to close and always keep that blank one open. I never see any battery problems. or when you're in safari you can always hold the home button for 10 seconds to close.

How do you close the browser or applications because to me it seems they are always open. I mean when I finish browsing and hit home later when I open browser it is wide open right where I left off and this is what's draining my battery.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Are you sure that is draining your battery? If the web page reloads or continually pulls data then that could continue to transmit over EDGE or WiFi and that could affect your battery, but a running Safari or open web page would not cause the battery to be drained.

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Here are some others I posted on different threads but would be helpful if it was all centralized into this thread.

Battery Life
After unplugging my phone from 7am-9pm, I had 3/4 bar available. In order to achieve this I did the following... Charge your phone from the included Wall jack until the battery par shows a wall plug symbol. Turn off Wi-Fi, but if you are a home user, set it up to always connect to your home. Anytime you go elsewhere, manually connect to Wi-Fi. Turn off Bluetooth if you don't use it. Set screen to Auto Brightness as it will become more dim by knowing the lighting situation you are in. Push the Sleep button when not in use. The first day I got the unit, I was disappointed with the battery life. But as someone else stated, it may of lost some of its charge during the wait process just like other rechargeable batteries do.
you have a defective phone, thats all there is to it, its about doing all that extra stuff with BT and Wi-Fi ext....

take it to an Apple store and get it exchange

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
End a program in iPhone (kind of like CTL-ALT-DEL on PCs) by holding down the home button for maybe 5 seconds while in the program you want to end.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You can delete text messages by just scrolling across them like the slide to unlock.

Reactions: chris