Tips And Tricks

TomBombadil

Jul 11, 2007
hanksuominen@comcast.net said:
Ok, how do you undo a 3x undo (ie delete the word from the dic)?
You can go to:

Settings -> General -> Reset

There you can reset your dictionary. You have to start your dictionary over completely though.

JAG

Jul 12, 2007
Worldwide
Real Tips and Tricks

I have to say I'm a little disappointed as all these so called Tips and Tricks are all on the Apple site, give us some info we don't know!
Like these two sites that can help you customize your screen with your favorite apps and one that'll let you create .docs on your iPhone.

http://www.appmarks.com

http://69.36.229.120/website/

These are sites showing you how apps will be used and intergrated within the iPhone. Very cool and who said the iPhone was boring! It's all just the beginning.

JAG

Jul 12, 2007
Worldwide
Too True

Dude...I don't think anyone here ever said the iPhone was boring.
Your totally right........ I was meaning the other thousand sites I have been reading before and after the iPhones launch. It amazes me how many people miss the point thats it's a breakthourgh in user interface for mobile devices and it's not that it does anything new it's the way it combines and does the old things things that make the iPhone truly unique.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
I have to say I'm a little disappointed as all these so called Tips and Tricks are all on the Apple site, give us some info we don't know!
Like these two sites that can help you customize your screen with your favorite apps and one that'll let you create .docs on your iPhone.

http://www.appmarks.com

http://69.36.229.120/website/

These are sites showing you how apps will be used and intergrated within the iPhone. Very cool and who said the iPhone was boring! It's all just the beginning.
dude now this is what i'm talkin about lol WoW man thx this App is a trip

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
If you're typing an email or SMS message and need to delete/erase the last entire word or sentence, instead of tapping the backspace/delete button repeatedly, you can simply hold that button down by holding your finger there and will will backspace/delete a lot faster (and not as annoying as tap-tap-tap-tap-tap... etc when you want to delete a lot of letters).

c1ockwerk

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
call *3001#12345#*

this gives you the field test menu
has information of phone

similar to the #* menu right on nextel phones.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If you're typing an email or SMS message and need to delete/erase the last entire word or sentence, instead of tapping the backspace/delete button repeatedly, you can simply hold that button down by holding your finger there and will will backspace/delete a lot faster (and not as annoying as tap-tap-tap-tap-tap... etc when you want to delete a lot of letters).
I noticed if you are deleting a lot of text by holding down the delete key it will start deleting entire words. Nice!

Now if only I could drag over the text and hit delete. :mad:

mshaw1515

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
In Safari - instead of deleting a url - start typing without clicking in the url field - it will delete the url that's in the text box and start typing the new url

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Your totally right........ I was meaning the other thousand sites I have been reading before and after the iPhones launch. It amazes me how many people miss the point thats it's a breakthourgh in user interface for mobile devices and it's not that it does anything new it's the way it combines and does the old things things that make the iPhone truly unique.
They said the same thing about the original Macintosh. Commodore released a "desktop" metaphor interface 6 months after the Mac's release. Of course, they didn't get of either.
Revolution takes a little time to reach the tipping point.

jzf

Jul 14, 2007
vibrate

When i set my phone to vibrate and silence my ringer, etc. it virbates when it rings, but then I get no vibrating alert when i get a text, email, etc. Does anyone know how to set it so all notification sounds are off, but it will vibrate for an incoming call, text, voice mail, email, etc?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
When i set my phone to vibrate and silence my ringer, etc. it virbates when it rings, but then I get no vibrating alert when i get a text, email, etc. Does anyone know how to set it so all notification sounds are off, but it will vibrate for an incoming call, text, voice mail, email, etc?
yes i know it sucks, i put my phone on silent , and i missed a lot of text from my gf and she was mad at me.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
Someone here mentioned some tricks about saving the battery and the last one was to tap the sleep button on top when not in use, but I thought the phone did this automatically when not in use for more than a few seconds?

Or did he mean to hold the sleep button down a while until the bar pops up on screen which lets you put it into a deep sleep? LOL

Thanks for clearing up the confusion anyone!

Jeff

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Someone here mentioned some tricks about saving the battery and the last one was to tap the sleep button on top when not in use, but I thought the phone did this automatically when not in use for more than a few seconds?

Or did he mean to hold the sleep button down a while until the bar pops up on screen which lets you put it into a deep sleep? LOL

Thanks for clearing up the confusion anyone!

Jeff
The phone does goes into sleep after a minute (or what ever you have it set to) but that's it. So if you want to save more battery, just click that black button and it will go into sleep, saving you an extra 55 seconds. :cool:

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
OK, well Thank You, I don't really think it is necessary to try and save seconds much. And I think I am just going to leave the WiFi on also. I went to work a 12 hour shift Thursday with a full charge and listened to my music almost the whole day and of course checked and received email and also watched some of my music videos too and when I left work I was down to hardly any charge left, but to me that is pretty darn good and I was just going to bed anyway when I got home so I charged that sucker up for several hours and away I went again the next day.

Jeff

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
yes, the lock is more useful IMO when you don't want a button to be pressed on the screen by accident.

Whats cool about the iPhone charging like my other cell phone is that it is USB. If you bring the cable along, chances are you will find a USB port somewhere, unless your in the woods or something. :)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
In Safari - instead of deleting a url - start typing without clicking in the url field - it will delete the url that's in the text box and start typing the new url
Nice tip! I didn't know that one. Thanks! :)