Tips And Tricks

JMSinTX

Jul 1, 2007
Crashes in general

Keep at least 10% of your total memory free for the OS to maintain the swap file which changes on the fly. I've not experienced any crashes with all programs open, listening to music while surfing the web on very intensive web sites with lots of graphics.

RandomAlec

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Anyone know how to scroll to the top/bottom of a lengthy SMS conversation quicker than sliding up/down over and over again?

Also, anyone know how to close the keyboard once it's open in an SMS conversation but you don't plan to type without leaving the conversation then opening it again?

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Anyone know how to scroll to the top/bottom of a lengthy SMS conversation quicker than sliding up/down over and over again?

Also, anyone know how to close the keyboard once it's open in an SMS conversation but you don't plan to type without leaving the conversation then opening it again?
Tap on the very top of the page (grey bar) to be brought to the very top of the conversation without having to slowly scroll up.

Not sure I quite understand your second question.

RandomAlec

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Tap on the very top of the page (grey bar) to be brought to the very top of the conversation without having to slowly scroll up.

Yeah my second question was a little too long, let me clarify. I'm in the conversation with someone (texting) and I send a message with the keyboard of course then I want to close the keyboard so I can see the conversation in full screen again, any way to do that and close the keyboard?

Alice Bentley

Jul 22, 2007
Vashon, WA USA
I'm in the conversation with someone (texting) and I send a message with the keyboard of course then I want to close the keyboard so I can see the conversation in full screen again, any way to do that and close the keyboard?
I don't know of a one-touch answer, but touching "messages" (top left button) brings you to the list, and touching the the one you need brings you back. It's pretty fast.

RandomAlec

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I don't know of a one-touch answer, but touching "messages" (top left button) brings you to the list, and touching the the one you need brings you back. It's pretty fast.
Ah yeah I discovered that method easily but I was looking for a one-touch answer. Thanks anyway. :cool:

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
how can i transfer my iPhone photos to the computer?¿
On a Mac you can, I just did it. One tip, if you do not want photos on the camera roll any longer then make sure in iPhoto that you check the "delete from camera' button so they are still not on your iPHone.

RandomAlec

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007

Oh, about tapping at the top of the screen, that doesn't seem to work either in an sms conversation. I know where to tap and all because I use it all the time online but that doesn't seem to work in sms conversations either. :(

Hmind

Jul 17, 2007
this may have been posted before or is in the videos, but if you receive a call when your phone is locked, then you can ignore by pressing the lock button.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
The one fingered "pinch zoom"!

1. Pull up something on the iPhone that responds to pinch zoom (even the notorious Google satellite maps)
2. Holding the iPhone in your left hand, put your left thumb on the edge of the screen.
3. Now with your right index finger, put it next to your thumb and pull away to zoom in, (reverse the motion to zoom out)

This seems to work faster and more predictably than a thumb/forefinger "pinch". You can lift up your left thumb and pan with your right index finger to recenter easily between zooms.

Try it! (I didn't come up with it, but I don't recall the original link)

edw1nk

Jul 7, 2007
easy way to hang up on someone

instead of pushing the "end call" button, just click the "sleep/wake" at any time and it will disconnect the call and lock the phone all at once.

**if you're actually using the speaker phone clicking the "sleep/wake" will lock the screen, and the call will continue as normal**

T

twj9119

iPhone tip

I saw this list and just thought I'd add one myself.
This is how I got my iPhone, through a third party site. It took about 2 weeks but I got it completely for free. Just thought you guys might find it cool. *****LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN*****I'm not soliciting anything, I don't work for them- I just got mine and I thought that some other people out there might want one, or a second one for free.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Here's a tip for changing the volume and ringer style for people that may be working in an office environment like myself. One thing I miss about my old phone was being able to set different "profiles" for my ringers and volume. I had the loud setting for outside of work and then the soft for work and I set the appropriate ringer and volume for each one.

Well, after forgetting to change the volume, my phone rang a few times at full volume in the middle of the office. So I went in to change it and if you use the slider, the ringer style will play so you can hear the volume when you slide it down to get to an appropriate level.

I don't like this either so i found if you use the volume up/down on the side of the phone, the ringer won't sound but you can move it up and down.

So if you want to change the ringer without the phone making a noise this is what you do. Go into settings-sounds and use the volume button on the side to lower the volume all the way. Then go into your ringtone to change it and then back to sounds. Then use the volume button (not the slider) to increase to where you want. This is good for people like me who work in a quiet office, and don't want my phone constantly sounding off.

edw1nk

Jul 7, 2007
Here's a tip for changing the volume and ringer style for people that may be working in an office environment like myself. One thing I miss about my old phone was being able to set different "profiles" for my ringers and volume. I had the loud setting for outside of work and then the soft for work and I set the appropriate ringer and volume for each one.

Well, after forgetting to change the volume, my phone rang a few times at full volume in the middle of the office. So I went in to change it and if you use the slider, the ringer style will play so you can hear the volume when you slide it down to get to an appropriate level.

I don't like this either so i found if you use the volume up/down on the side of the phone, the ringer won't sound but you can move it up and down.

So if you want to change the ringer without the phone making a noise this is what you do. Go into settings-sounds and use the volume button on the side to lower the volume all the way. Then go into your ringtone to change it and then back to sounds. Then use the volume button (not the slider) to increase to where you want. This is good for people like me who work in a quiet office, and don't want my phone constantly sounding off.

using the volume buttons on the home screen gives you the same affect without the extra steps.

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
How to have Boomarks be default when selecting Safari

Is there a way that you can have your bookmarks page come up first when pressing the Safari button...

I could swear that this weekend, after doing some other mods I was able to do this.

Thnx

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
instead of pushing the "end call" button, just click the "sleep/wake" at any time and it will disconnect the call and lock the phone all at once.

**if you're actually using the speaker phone clicking the "sleep/wake" will lock the screen, and the call will continue as normal**
The first time you press that sleep/wake button it silences the ring. If you push it a second time it ignores the call. :)

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Is there a way that you can have your bookmarks page come up first when pressing the Safari button...

I could swear that this weekend, after doing some other mods I was able to do this.

Thnx
Do a full exit, when you use Safari. (Hold it down for about 5 seconds, til it closes).

The next time you open it, it should bring up your bookmarks.

Coodie

Jul 16, 2007
Minnetonka, MN
coodie.com

Thnx
Or when you're done with Safari, open a new blank page and close the other one you had open. That's what I do, and it comes up with bookmarks every time :cool: