too much pressure for the iPhone HD?

joshwithachance

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
with the release of the HTC EVO 4G coming this summer along with the iPhone HD do you think Apple has a chance considering how the EVO has basically what everyone has wanted for so long? I for one am super pumped for the iPhone HD, but how about the average consumer? Android has been building momentum quick, even though I think it's not good at all.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
with the release of the HTC EVO 4G coming this summer along with the iPhone HD do you think Apple has a chance considering how the EVO has basically what everyone has wanted for so long? I for one am super pumped for the iPhone HD, but how about the average consumer? Android has been building momentum quick, even though I think it's not good at all.
I think people with little or no iPhone experience will be easier to purchase one of several different phones while iPhone users will tend to not be satisfied with anything other than an iPhone for one reason: the iPhone "Just Works"

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I am not an "average user" but I do try to put myself in their shoes. I think when they think about buying a smartphone they all seem very similar, so they really need just one thing that will push them over the edge to buy whatever phone. As of now, iPhone kind of just has the role of "best smartphone", and this is the thing that pushes them over the edge.

This being said I've seen DROID's out in the world. They are there, they are selling, and it's mostly because their advertising campaign has convicned some people that iPhone is in fact NOT as good as the droid, which I think is kind of false.

Now, just imagine the salesman selling the EVO to someone. There are TOO many VERY clear +'s above the (current) iPhone. He could sell them on the HD video camera, on the HDMI out plug, on the FLASH media (this might be more difficult, and still hasn't been released on droid 2.1 but I think it will by summer) on the multiple buttons, on the bigger better screen. And these are just the things that are obvious the actual person.

Also, if Android manufacturers keep up at this pace, by summer 2011 iPhone will have to be doing some really big things. On that note, I've never known Apple to slouch.

Even if you're an iPhone lover EVERYONE loves the competition google is presenting =)

joshwithachance

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
I am not an "average user" but I do try to put myself in their shoes. I think when they think about buying a smartphone they all seem very similar, so they really need just one thing that will push them over the edge to buy whatever phone. As of now, iPhone kind of just has the role of "best smartphone", and this is the thing that pushes them over the edge.

This being said I've seen DROID's out in the world. They are there, they are selling, and it's mostly because their advertising campaign has convicned some people that iPhone is in fact NOT as good as the droid, which I think is kind of false.

Now, just imagine the salesman selling the EVO to someone. There are TOO many VERY clear +'s above the (current) iPhone. He could sell them on the HD video camera, on the HDMI out plug, on the FLASH media (this might be more difficult, and still hasn't been released on droid 2.1 but I think it will by summer) on the multiple buttons, on the bigger better screen. And these are just the things that are obvious the actual person.

Also, if Android manufacturers keep up at this pace, by summer 2011 iPhone will have to be doing some really big things. On that note, I've never known Apple to slouch.

Even if you're an iPhone lover EVERYONE loves the competition google is presenting =)
I agree with all of what you're saying. the EVO does have things over the current iPhone but like mickey said the iPhone "just works" which is why I returned my droid after 4 days and came back to my iPhone lol :)

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Really? After 4 days? Why? Did programs really crash? I really haven't had much experience with Android OS so I really can't say anything about it "working".

I also kind of shrugged away the whole branding Apple has been able to make. Everyone thinks of Apple as being very clean and very SIMPLE. I think a lot of people (especially 35+ year olds) put high priority on ease of use.

I just can't freaking wait until I get to see the EVO. I've always had a lot of faith in HTC.

joshwithachance

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
Really? After 4 days? Why? Did programs really crash? I really haven't had much experience with Android OS so I really can't say anything about it "working".

I also kind of shrugged away the whole branding Apple has been able to make. Everyone thinks of Apple as being very clean and very SIMPLE. I think a lot of people (especially 35+ year olds) put high priority on ease of use.

I just can't freaking wait until I get to see the EVO. I've always had a lot of faith in HTC.
the problem with Android is that the apps aren't polished or fully functional. the facebook apps are AWFUL! they don't tell you when you have status comments or anything. the messaging apps are battery hogs and disconnect a lot. Android just isn't finished it seems.

iPhone HD COME OUT SOON! :)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I think people with little or no iPhone experience will be easier to purchase one of several different phones while iPhone users will tend to not be satisfied with anything other than an iPhone for one reason: the iPhone "Just Works"
I disagree. iPhone has just turned into the phone for the masses. Very easy to use, almost too easy. Very dumbdown OS to appeal to your average Joe. It reminds me of a "Jitterbug" phone. Im ready to move to something more advanced and sophisticated...enter HTC EVO.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Android is definitely not as smooth as the iPhone OS. While there are things I like about HTC, its devices seem to be the anti-iphone in both good and bad ways.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the new iPhone will have 4G LTE capability? I would be very disappointed if it didn't even though AT&T will not roll out LTE until late this year and early next year. Apple has always been about forward thinking. I hope this next iPhone is not stripped down.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I disagree. iPhone has just turned into the phone for the masses. Very easy to use, almost too easy. Very dumbdown OS to appeal to your average Joe. It reminds me of a "Jitterbug" phone. Im ready to move to something more advanced and sophisticated...enter HTC EVO.
Oh come on now... you almost had me up until that line!

Just because something is easy to use doesn't mean it's "dumbed down."
Exactly.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
bottom line i like the competition, and i do truly believe that the next iPhone will be amazing based only on Steve's quote, "A+ Upgrade"

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Despite all of my crazy comments about the iPhone, the truth is that I am addicted to them. I do however miss having a device that is unique or at least somewhat different from everyone else's. I am very tempted to go HTC, I will not make any desicions until I see what the next gen. iPhone looks like.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
Despite all of my crazy comments about the iPhone, the truth is that I am addicted to them. I do however miss having a device that is unique or at least somewhat different from everyone else's. I am very tempted to go HTC, I will not make any desicions until I see what the next gen. iPhone looks like.
easy solution is to Jailbreak the iPhone. with a lot of the new "apps". and tweaks that are arising, it is very easy to make them "unique". and i don't just mean theming, ProSwitcher, SBRotator, SBSettings, Infiniboard/dock. just a few that are out there to make the phone much more "sophisticated" as you stated in your previous post.

llckll

Bronze
Feb 18, 2009
All this competition is good for everyone. Keeps the companies on their toes. Apple has always been the leader in coming out with new technology but I think the competition has caught up or even passed Apple by.

http://www.sizlopedia.com/2010/03/17/concept-photos-htc-hd3-leaked-online/

I know these are just concepts and rumors but the leaked specs have been consistent all over the internet. Even the CEO of HTC hinted that they will build a WPS7 compatible phone. Just look at these specs:

• Display: 4.5-inch display (1280 x 800 resolution)
  • Processor: Qualcomm’s 1.5Ghz Snapdragon
  • Camera: 8 MP camera with Xenon , front camera
  • Video: HD video recording (720p), 1080p video ready
  • Memory: 1GB RAM, 1GB ROM
  • Other: HDMI, USB 2.0, 3.5 mm audio jack
  • Capacity: 16GB internal memory (microSD card support up to 32GB)
  • Connectivity: 4G support, WiMAX, Bluetooth 2.1, WiFi
  • Battery: 1800 mAH
This is very impressive. I am definitely an iPhone fan but if this comes out by the end of the year, I will have to switch. More than an iPhone fan, I am a bigger fan of new gadgets and technology.

sbritton50@hotmail.com

Bronze
Mar 2, 2010
hey maybe it could be 4G for both generation and wireless capabilities...Its a long, narrow shot in the dark but its nice to hope for :)

to the simps who say iPhone is too simple...their are plenty of things to do on your phone and if its not enough..try jailbreaking it and seeing more advanced capabilities ! n00b. <----haha

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
All this competition is good for everyone. Keeps the companies on their toes. Apple has always been the leader in coming out with new technology but I think the competition has caught up or even passed Apple by.

http://www.sizlopedia.com/2010/03/17/concept-photos-htc-hd3-leaked-online/

I know these are just concepts and rumors but the leaked specs have been consistent all over the internet. Even the CEO of HTC hinted that they will build a WPS7 compatible phone. Just look at these specs:

• Display: 4.5-inch display (1280 x 800 resolution)
  • Processor: Qualcomm’s 1.5Ghz Snapdragon
  • Camera: 8 MP camera with Xenon , front camera
  • Video: HD video recording (720p), 1080p video ready
  • Memory: 1GB RAM, 1GB ROM
  • Other: HDMI, USB 2.0, 3.5 mm audio jack
  • Capacity: 16GB internal memory (microSD card support up to 32GB)
  • Connectivity: 4G support, WiMAX, Bluetooth 2.1, WiFi
  • Battery: 1800 mAH

This is very impressive. I am definitely an iPhone fan but if this comes out by the end of the year, I will have to switch. More than an iPhone fan, I am a bigger fan of new gadgets and technology.
in my opinion windows 7 mobile looks unattractive, thats just me tho

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'd bet my bank account on the new iPhone not having LTE. Now that I am on Sprint I'm quite excited for the EVO but even though it seems it has everything people have been wanting in a phone don't put it past Apple to come up with something different. Even though the V1 missed a lot of things people wanted it sure had a lot of things people said initially they would never want or need a phone and look at it now, its everywhere I turn.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
See that's what I said right there. You first disagreed with me and then you verified what I was saying. This doesn't apply to all heavy iPhone users but I feel the majority may get bored with the iPhone until they really check out the competition and then they realize that the iPhone is still the cream of the crop. Will that change? Maybe. Has it changed? No!