Touchpad broken

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I searched around and didn't see another thread like this...sorry in advance if its a repost. So my touchpad is officially broken (not responding anymore). The screen works, but you can't "click" anywhere on the screen via your fingers. I think it happened from a drop on the floor.

It started out by the very bottom row on the screen not working, the section with the phone, mail, etc. But interestingly enough, after you lock your phone and it says "Slide to Unlock," that area of the screen would work. It would work in no other section than there. I figured since it worked in one spot, maybe it wasn't a problem with the screen it self, maybe I could restore the software and it would work. Well after a 2nd light drop, the whole screen stopped working.

So when I got home I did a full restore, but the screen still doesn't work at all. I have no clue how much Apple will charge to fix it, but I'm pretty bummed as I am iphone-less now. I switched over to some slide phone my dad had sitting around...texting is excruciating :(

So anyone have any idea how much this would run? I guess it needs a new screen?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
they'll charge $250 to replace the screen if it's broken. I would imagine that's what they'll charge you for to repair the damage. I doubt you'll get your original phone back, but at least you'll have one with a warranty for the remainder of your original warranty. You might also want to just spend the addition $150 and just buy a new phone instead of getting the refurb they'll send you for $250.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
they'll charge $250 to replace the screen if it's broken. I would imagine that's what they'll charge you for to repair the damage. I doubt you'll get your original phone back, but at least you'll have one with a warranty for the remainder of your original warranty. You might also want to just spend the addition $150 and just buy a new phone instead of getting the refurb they'll send you for $250.
Yeah I just got off the phone...$250. So they will give you a new phone you think? I was thinking about just getting a new phone though, or maybe even waiting for the next iPhone...whenever that will be. End of this year at best, most likely 2009 though. *sigh

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
It won't be new. It'll be a refurb.
Ugh. But it will be in decent condition? Mine is all banged up from dropping it. I've dropped it 20+ times EASILY without a case. I normally have it on my lap in the car and when I forget its there and get out of the car, down it falls.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Refurbs are like brand new. I have one. They give you a rebuilt one so all parts are new. if your screen is not cracked, just take it to an Apple store and say the screen stopped working and get a free one under warranty.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Bring it into the Apple store and mention to them it stopped working on you. Do not mention the fall at all, otherwise you'll pay in the end for it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Bring it into the Apple store and mention to them it stopped working on you. Do not mention the fall at all, otherwise you'll pay in the end for it.
He said that it's all beaten up from dropping it about 20 times. I doubt they will honor the warranty for that reason alone.

integrity8182

Jan 28, 2008
I am new to this site. Please assist me.

I just got an iPhone as a gift only 2 weeks ago and it was jailbroken. Today, when I was driving, the phone drops from the seat onto the floor, and the screen stops working. Apparently, I still can receive the call since the screen does work when there is an incoming call. However, once I turned the screen off, I would not be able to turn it back on. I can see the main screen again by plugging the charger in, but again, the screen touch function is useless.

Anyhow, my question is that do I have to restore it to original before bringing it to Apple store to fix it under the limited warranty? Also, is it illegal to mention to them that the phone was jailbroken.

Thanks for all the help.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I am new to this site. Please assist me.

I just got an iPhone as a gift only 2 weeks ago and it was jailbroken. Today, when I was driving, the phone drops from the seat onto the floor, and the screen stops working. Apparently, I still can receive the call since the screen does work when there is an incoming call. However, once I turned the screen off, I would not be able to turn it back on. I can see the main screen again by plugging the charger in, but again, the screen touch function is useless.

Anyhow, my question is that do I have to restore it to original before bringing it to Apple store to fix it under the limited warranty? Also, is it illegal to mention to them that the phone was jailbroken.

Thanks for all the help.
If its not cracked bring it in for a replacement and just say it stopped working. Restore it and don't even mention jailbreaking. If you do they will not replace it. good luck and welcome to the site!

integrity8182

Jan 28, 2008
If its not cracked bring it in for a replacement and just say it stopped working. Restore it and don't even mention jailbreaking. If you do they will not replace it. good luck and welcome to the site!
Thanks Kylegod for quick response, but I would like to have another question since I am not good at this. I am looking around the web to restore it as you suggested (note: I paid a guy to jailbreak the phone since I do not have a clue how to do it.) Let's say that after I restored it to original state, then would I go back to the very first screen when I turned on for the first time? That is the screen where it asked to enter some code or some emergency number (I don't quite recall this infor, but I hope you know what I mean). If that was the case, then would the Apple Rep ask me why I haven't use the phone @ all then the screen stop working....

Sorry, if you feel like I am little paranoid, but I would like to be smooth when talking to those pple @ Apple store. Thanks again.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Ok. I don't know how the guy jailbroke it. But plug it into iTunes. When it recognizes the phone, click on it, and hit the restore button. Once you restore it itll just be the regular screen that says 'slide to unlock' If it doesn't and it is that screen you are talking about, just say the screen died, and I tried a restore to see if that would fx it.

*you may want to make sure you don't have to do anything before restoring due to it being jailbroken.

integrity8182

Jan 28, 2008
Ok. I don't know how the guy jailbroke it. But plug it into iTunes. When it recognizes the phone, click on it, and hit the restore button. Once you restore it itll just be the regular screen that says 'slide to unlock' If it doesn't and it is that screen you are talking about, just say the screen died, and I tried a restore to see if that would fx it.

*you may want to make sure you don't have to do anything before restoring due to it being jailbroken.

Gentlemen,

Thanks again, KYLEGOD. As you suggested, I already restored the phone to original state. When I was doing this, the software was also updating to 1.1.3 as well. This is not an issue, but as I was mentioning last night, some parts of the phone were still functioning.

For instance, when one calls, I am able to slide to answer the phone call, but then I am unable to hang up or turn off the screen after the call is done.

Another instance, when I am plugging the charger in, then the screen will automatically turn on, but I am unable to touch any icons appear on screen, then if I turn it off, I am not able to turn it back on without unplugging the charger and plug the charger back in to turn on the screen.

Today, after I restore to original state, I am once again able to turn on, and turnoff the screen. When I turned it on, I can use the "slide for emergency" and enter phone number on this main screen.

My question is that since it appears to work fine on this original state, I can't bring it to Apple store and tell them that the screen does not work. So, what should I do? Anyone run into situations like this before? If I have to jailbreak again, since it is now upgraded to 1.1.3 when I restore it, can I jailbreak 1.1.2 phone having ver. 1.1.3?Thanks in advance for all your help.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Haha, I got pwned by Apple. They won't replace it because they say it has more than normal "wear and tear" which I do agree with. I have to pay $250 for a new one and I think it extends the 1 year warranty as well. Not sure why I'm laughing since I paid $599 + tax ($649.49) and my cancellation fee with Sprint ($175) so after replacing this phone it would've been a $1074.59 investment for me overall. Go me!