Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hmm, i could have sworn i've heard people say that ATT would block their data unless they switched to an iPhone plan.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009

1- Do I have to change to the iPhone service plan?

Some say all I have to do is tell them and switch my MediaNet for the iPhone $30 internet plan while others tell me I don't have to tell them and keep using my plan.

If I tell them, some say I'll have to get a contract for 2 years while others say I already have a plan so it's just a switch since I already bought my iPhone so I don't have to get a contract.

Yes, if you use an iPhone on AT&T's network they can detect it and you are required to have an iPhone data plan. If you purchase your iPhone from ebay, or from AT&T at the no commitment pricing...you do not have to sign a new 2 year contract. This may be added automatically by the system, but with some calls to AT&T you can have the contract removed.

2- Which iPhone functions do I lose for not using their plan, if any?

Some say I can use it only on wifi only for free but if I use it on the AT&T system I'll need to make sure I have the $30 iPhone plan activated or I'll end up with a millionaire's bill at the end of the month even if I have unlimited internet with my MediaNet plan because they can tell if I’m using an iPhone instead of a PALM or any other phone.
You are required to use an iPhone data plan, if you do not use an iPhone data plan, they may add it for you, as it is a requirement of the terms of service.
3- Do I still have to keep my MediaNet unlimited 'net and texting?

No because that'll be the $30 iPhone plan so I'll delete the MediaNet.
Correct, you do not need your medianet plan, but texting is not included in the iPhone data plan (if it is an original iPhone, that data plan includes 200 text messages, but that is the only one that carries any SMS with it), to have unlimited texting, you would need a 20 dollar unlimited texting plan.

4- I don't have to unlock the phone because I'm using it on AT&T but I will have to jailbreak it to use tethering. I current use PdaNet on my TREO 680. If I have to send it in for warranty repair I just reset it and all my stuff including apps are gone and I have to buy them again.
If you were to send your iPhone in for warranty work, you would need to restore as a new phone to remove the jailbreak, but once you got it back, your apps would sync back, you would not need to repurchase them. If the device was replaced...you may have to repurchase some of the jailbreak apps, if the license is tied to the IMEI or Serial number. Most devs will transfer your license to the new phones IMEI or serial, but there is no guarantee on this.
5- I can get an app that lets me move the most used programs to the first page so I don't have to go searching for my programs when I need them.
No app necessary for that, you can move the icons on the iPhone to where ever you wish ;)

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
See? Already I have more answers and they're a little different. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough. I've seen here that you can thank others for their replies but I can't find the button to click on so I want to thank all who have replied up to now.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
See? Already I have more answers and they're a little different. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough. I've seen here that you can thank others for their replies but I can't find the button to click on so I want to thank all who have replied up to now.
You need 25 posts before you get a THANKS button.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Everyone else covered just about everything you need to know. I just wanted to add this one bit of information. The tether hack for the iPhone you were directed to above will be broken by Apple with the 3.1 update when it comes out. Don't update your iPhone if you plan on tethering. Mark

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
That's weird. So I have to make 25 post just to be able to thank someone? Not my cup of tea but I know people live and post lots of one liners just to get their count up to get those signs on their name.

Guess I'll probably have to get a used iPhone to test it all. Only reason I don't want to renew my contract is because I'm leaving at the end of the year to work overseas and don't want to have to pay to break the contract. I'm planning on leaving my phone number on a prepaid so I don't lose it the year I'm over there.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
That's weird. So I have to make 25 post just to be able to thank someone? Not my cup of tea but I know people live and post lots of one liners just to get their count up to get those signs on their name.

Guess I'll probably have to get a used iPhone to test it all. Only reason I don't want to renew my contract is because I'm leaving at the end of the year to work overseas and don't want to have to pay to break the contract. I'm planning on leaving my phone number on a prepaid so I don't lose it the year I'm over there.
Usually most cell companies will let you out of a contract with no ETF if there is no service in the area you live or work in. The same applies if you move (either personal or job related). Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
So I better buy it quick because the new ones will have 3.1 I guess. Can I change the version back to 3.0 if I get one that's already 3.1?
Yes you can but some patches are permanent. Also if you are a power user and not in constant contact with some type of power source. You may want to hold off on the 3GS the battery life is not all that great. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
More good info and advice. Keep it coming !
Also many longtime trusted members of EIC (look at post count and join date) have upgraded and are selling used iPhones. Put in your default signature that you are looking to buy an iPhone. You maybe contacted by one of them. I would trust that type of transaction from a trusted member as opposed to eBay or craigslist. Mark

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
That's right. I read in another thread that you just updated from a V1.

Anybody interested in selling your iPhone? I'm calling AT&T to get the question about the contract confirmed.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Also many longtime trusted members of EIC (look at post count and join date) have upgraded and are selling used iPhones. Put in your default signature that you are looking to buy an iPhone. You maybe contacted by one of them. I would trust that type of transaction from a trusted member as opposed to eBay or craigslist. Mark

Selling your 1G iPhone, Mark? ;);)

--
Mike

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

Anybody interested in selling your iPhone? I'm calling AT&T to get the question about the contract confirmed.
If you bring your own phone iPhone or not there is no contract. AT&T settled that last year as opposed to being regulated by the government. I did upgrade from a v1 and still have it but it's not for sale. I'm keeping it. However there are many members selling v1's and 3G's (not to be confused with 3GS's). Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

I have a V1 8GB in pristine shape on Ebay right now, 3.0 jailbroken and unlocked with a great battery, case and charger included. I'm asking $200 for it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I have a V1 8GB in pristine shape on Ebay right now, 3.0 jailbroken and unlocked with a great battery, case and charger included. I'm asking $200 for it.
Aerocare,
You don't know Dave (Psylichon) but we all do and you can certainly trust him. There is your great deal right there. I'm sure everyone here will agree. Dave is trust worthy. Mark

BTW: 200.00 for a Jailbroken, unlocked, pristine iPhone v1 with case and charger is a great deal. The battery life is also better on the v1. Like they say, get it while it's hot.