Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you are using Windows, your options are very, very different. Personally I didn't care to pay for MobileMe on top of all this and there are also limited benefits when you're on a PC. If that's what you're looking at, I'll pipe up with what I've discovered after many hours of scouring for information about a similar transition.
I only use Windows (with my iPhone), and there really aren't any major issues. Most iPhone owners use Windows, so it's not like we're some kind of ugly step-child.

Everything works fine for me, and has since day-one. I can't say the same thing for Palm's HotSync or MS's HotStink.

Why, exactly, do you have this idea that you are crippled if using an iPhone with Windows? I don't see it.

--
Mike

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I only use Windows (with my iPhone), and there really aren't any major issues. Most iPhone owners use Windows, so it's not like we're some kind of ugly step-child. Everything works fine for me, and has since day-one. I can't say the same thing for Palm's HotSync or MS's HotStink. Why, exactly, do you have this idea that you are crippled if using an iPhone with Windows? I don't see it.
(1) If you use Outlook, which many Windows users do, there is no adequate tasks application to get your tasks out! The only option I have found half good is ToodleDo. It has a web client. There is nothing good with a WIndows desktop client.

(2) Go to the backup thread which I started and go to the end. There were some very useful posts about how sync works as well as backup. I was on the Palm and syncing was cake. On a PC, you've got to do apparently 3 different things to make a sync work for your phone (wire does audio/video, make sure windows imports your pictures, use WiFi to sync docs below.)

(3) Not PC but Palm related - be aware of WiFi. Unlike Palm where you put the phone in the dock and worry no more, all documents like Docs to Go for the iPhone, standard in the Palm, do NOT sync with a wired sync - yes, this is odd. You have to turn on WiFi and then pair/connect to your PC and sync. If you're saving batteries like I am, this is a chore especially on a PC. If you don't have a wireless router connected to your PC you'll need one. You also need to go to Dataviz and download the software. It's another oddity you'll see happens - you can't get everything you need at iTunes store in one shot.

(4) There are no tasks/organizers/agenda/GTD clients and apps that work for Windows. Virtually anything good and usable only has desktop clients for the Mac. IF you used Bonsai or RexWireless on BB, you're going to be disappointed.

(5) Not PC specific but it has it's own issues - you can't sync on 2 or more PCs without doing a hack with iTunes that will sync your data but not audio/video media.

There are some other things but these were some of the issues I had. The way I got around some of them was to use Pocket Informant. I sync that to Google Calendar. I sync Google Calendar to Outlook. I sync Toodledoo to PI. A maddening chain but it's working for now without breaking. I think the Mac as better integration of calendar/schedule/GTD and a few other things.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
(1) If you use Outlook, which many Windows users do, there is no adequate tasks application to get your tasks out! The only option I have found half good is ToodleDo. It has a web client. There is nothing good with a WIndows desktop client.
1.) The iPhone has no builtin to-do app. Using a Mac won't change this fact.

(2) Go to the backup thread which I started and go to the end.
I know how sync backups work. Again, there is no great Mac advantage here .

(3) Not PC but Palm related...
Then it has no bearing on the question. Can we not stay focused?

(4) There are no tasks/organizers/agenda/GTD clients and apps that work for Windows. Virtually anything good and usable only has desktop clients for the Mac. IF you used Bonsai or RexWireless on BB, you're going to be disappointed.
You are talking about third party applications. Some favor Mac, some favor PC. But it has no bearing on the iPhone being more Mac friendly.

(5) Not PC specific but it has it's own issues - you can't sync on 2 or more PCs without doing a hack with iTunes that will sync your data but not audio/video media.
Again, nothing to do with a Mac being better for iPhones.

Nothing you've presented really supports your bold assertion that using Windows with an iPhone is some kind of a hardship, compared to using a Mac.

--
Mike

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
1.) The iPhone has no builtin to-do app. Using a Mac won't change this fact.
There are many far superior options than are available on the PC.

You are talking about third party applications. Some favor Mac, some favor PC. But it has no bearing on the iPhone being more Mac friendly.
Many of the applications that require clients or are of high usage are Mac only with some having "Windows coming soon." There are also other things I read with regard to calendaring which the built in stuff on the Mac is better suited to the task.

Nothing you've presented really supports your bold assertion that using Windows with an iPhone is some kind of a hardship, compared to using a Mac.
I can't go through them all but there is no question that tasks, GTD, and a few other apps I can't remember are all much better suited or have clients on the Mac. Additionally if I remember correctly there are other benefits with MobileMe. Other benefits also include email solutions (I think related to push) where synching options are also only on the Mac at this time. On point and anyone looking will find this the case.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You've made your case, I won't argue that. I just don't agree that there is amajor drawback to using a PC with an iPhone. Maybe because I gave up on todo lists a few years ago.

--
Mike

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
hinky, have you ever considered trying the 2 month free trial of Mobile Me? It has tons of great features in addition to push email. Find My iPhone is only one of those features. I did the trial and was immediately sold on it. You can find Mobile Me for far less than the standard $99 a year. I got mine at an Apple Store for $70. You can find it on eBay for even less than that. I put my code in a few weeks after starting the trial, thinking that would be day one of the 1 year membership, but it actually said it would continue with the trial and start my one year the day after the two month trial was up.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
hinky, have you ever considered trying the 2 month free trial of Mobile Me? It has tons of great features in addition to push email. Find My iPhone is only one of those features. I did the trial and was immediately sold on it. You can find Mobile Me for far less than the standard $99 a year. I got mine at an Apple Store for $70. You can find it on eBay for even less than that. I put my code in a few weeks after starting the trial, thinking that would be day one of the 1 year membership, but it actually said it would continue with the trial and start my one year the day after the two month trial was up.

So you have rental apps too? $99 a year?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
WOW, all this research I've been doing for the iPhone is paying off more than I expected. I'm starting to like Apple products even more after this email I got this morning :

Apple Computer announced today that it has developed a computer chip
that can store and play high fidelity music in women's breast implants.

The iTit will cost between $499.00 and $699.00 depending on speaker size.
This is considered a major breakthrough because women have always
complained about men staring at their breasts and not listening to
them.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You've made your case, I won't argue that. I just don't agree that there is amajor drawback to using a PC with an iPhone. Maybe because I gave up on todo lists a few years ago.

--
Mike
iTunes runs hundreds of times better on a Mac than it does in windows.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Sorry, still learning about apps and services and all the other good iPhone stuff. I'm sure once I have one in my hands it'll get better.

Talking with a fellow pilot here at work and he also has a TREO and was considering between the Pre and iPhone. We've been talking about all I've learned this last week and he said as soon as I buy mine and transfer all my info from phone to phone, we'll talk again and he'll change both of his phone numbers from Sprint to AT&T iPhones!

I don't use the To Do list and I'm not much of an iPod music guy either so I hope to not have much problems using my Windows PC with iTunes and iPhone for everything else. Who knows, I might just end up buying a Mac too since I'm in need of a laptop upgrade soon...

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I got FileAid for free and I can sync docs, pics, mp3s, etc. through the USB cable. Quite nifty! And, to me, the viewing is better than Air Sharing, Datacase and other viewing apps I've used.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I got FileAid for free and I can sync docs, pics, mp3s, etc. through the USB cable. Quite nifty! And, to me, the viewing is better than Air Sharing, Datacase and other viewing apps I've used.
That's funny because I found it to be quite buggy and hard to deal with. Especially transferring files to the phone. I like Air Sharing much better, but maybe I will give FileAid another shot.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
That's funny because I found it to be quite buggy and hard to deal with. Especially transferring files to the phone. I like Air Sharing much better, but maybe I will give FileAid another shot.
Well, I've only tried transferring files via the USB cable. Haven't tried Wi-Fi yet.

I think the app is very smooth. Especially when dealing with .pdf which is what I use the most. .pdf tend to really slow down Air Sharing and the like. And I like how on FileAid it's easy to go straight to the page you want. Air Sharing has gotten better but it's still kind of a pain. Datacase I believe is still the only app I have tried that has a bookmarking feature.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
It's hard to buy an iPhone!

I called 4 stores and nobody has them in stock. No problem.
I have to go in person to order and pay for it. Still no problem.
They say it'll take 7 to 14 days to get it to the store. Still no problem but here's the kicker : if I don't go pick it up in 7 days after they receive it, even though I paid for it in full, they'll release it to the employees to be sold and then they'll refund my credit card.

I'm a pilot and I'm out of town for about 9 days at a time then I go home for 5 or 6 days then gone again for 9 days. Why can't they hold it for me if I already paid them for it? What if it gets there the day I leave town and now I won't be back for 9 days and the phone will be sold.

I can't order it online because I'm going to need to do it in person to make sure I get the prices and contract terms the chat session lady said.

Any ideas or suggestions?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yep. They don't give a crap because the 3GS is so hot right now they don't really need to make any effort to sell them. It sells itself and they're getting their commissions or their target monthly sales or whatever. The stores are getting small shipments in every week.

My next plan is to call all the AT&T stores on Tuesday afternoon that are on my route home (10 hour drive) to see who has one and try to convince the employee to keep one for me until the next morning. I'll just time my drive to be the first customer there in the morning.

Any other ideas out there that could help me get an iPhone?