Triangulation Problems

climhazzard85

Jul 7, 2007
Is anyone else getting could not determine location in Google Maps? I'm not sure if it is where I live or what, but I can't get it to work. Anyone else?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Because the feature is not actual GPS, and you are being located by cell towers instead of satellites, your location will not be exact. You may not always be able to get a location either.

- John

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I found around my town that it works better after moving around a bit...it pinpointed where I was better after it got to access different cells.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
ha ha, at home it placed a circle about 10 miles from our house..... at work (in town) it placed the circle around the block we're at. Not bad in urban areas I guess.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, I plan to use this feature mostly to find things when I'm not home, so even knowing where I am down to a few miles is good. As many people have said, this isn't - and was never advertised as - gps. But the next time you are 30 minutes from home and need an ATM or a restaurant, it ought to come in handy.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
When at home I tried this location thing and guess what it took me to the downtown area. Around 2-3 miles off my current place. Not bad I can manage.

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
When I first tried it at home it gave me a location about 2 miles away. Tried it again a few minutes later and put me in the neighborhood... maybe a block away. I guess depending on what towers it's able to connect to it could give you different results each time.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Remember folks.. this technology also works off of cell towers.. if you want to get it as precise as possible, you have to power cycle the device so it registers on the closest towers!:eek: