True Story.. related to the iPad 2's competitors...

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
that new WiFi Only Xoom is out... it has been out since Sunday...

I go to Best Buy last week to buy an Apple TV, and play with a Xoom 3G for about an hour... while it's nice, and does A LOT, it does nothing really well... and it feels excessively bulky...

that being said, there were SEVERAL there... I'm talking 20-30 easily in the cage...

So I go back in Best Buy yesterday to look at some stereo receivers, and cables... and I get to talking to the same guy who I was speaking with last week, about the WiFi Xooms... he says rather snidely, 'NOTHING has changed'... and laughs...

I asked what he means.. he says they've sold maybe TWO Xoom's since the iPad2 dropped... and that ppl aren't even coming in really asking for them, ALL inquiries for tablets are about the iPad2.. and ppl are putting down $100 deposits to hold them when they can get them in stock...

I kid you not... he said they've sold TWO Xoom's at the Best Buy in Buckhead, since the iPad 2 dropped...

I dared not to even ask how many iPad 2's..

said he don't think they've sold not ONE of them WiFi ONLY Xoom's since they came out on Sunday... they were under the impression that customers would be in there grabbing them like hotcakes, since the iPad 2 is on backorder and in limited supply, figuring people would get fed up and change their minds...

nope.. not hardly.. they just come in and put down $100 deposit and wait for that iPad 2...

do y'all think these other tablet makers are late to the party, or what?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Part of the reason is that the iPad has so much brand name recognition. Look how "iPod" has become synonymous with "mp3 player."

Here. Let me illustrate this phenomenon with an edited quote from Mayor Vaughn from the film "Jaws."

"Silent Assassin, it's all psychological. You yell Xoom, everybody says, 'Huh? What?' You yell iPad, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July."

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Everyone knows how many tablet-specific Android apps there are versus how many are available for the iPad. The difference is what's selling the iPad... no one wants to start from ground zero and hope the Android tabs catch up with Apple. They won't, with regards to apps, I can almost guarantee.

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I was just amazed to hear him ADMIT to it... He didn't seem like the best salesman in the first place, but I guess he just really didn't care... You all know how they keep a cage near the computers and laptops... well in that cage was what looked like a ton of Xoom's and iPad 1st gens... I didn't expect it to be so many Xoom's just sitting in there... and he said 'no one has even come in ASKING about them'...

like me, there was a guy who kinda picked it up, thumbed through a screen or two on the Xoom, and then he just put it back down...

that was kinda sad and hilarious at the same time..

fithgear66

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
They need to drop the price, who's gonna pick a XOOM over and iPad when you can get an iPad for less? Beyond me...

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
They need to drop the price, who's gonna pick a XOOM over and iPad when you can get an iPad for less? Beyond me...
Yup, the price has a lot to do with it. I would have picked up the XOOM, if it wasn't over $800! I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way. After trying out the iPad 2, and an Android device two weeks ago, I think I would rather have the XOOM over the iPad 2.

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Yup, the price has a lot to do with it. I would have picked up the XOOM, if it wasn't over $800! I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way. After trying out the iPad 2, and an Android device two weeks ago, I think I would rather have the XOOM over the iPad 2.
What were the significant differences for you that are leading your decision?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Speaking from experience, outside of platform loyalty, I'm not sure why someone would select the XOOM over the iPad 2. FWIW, I had purchased one on the cheap. I ended up reselling it after reading this very excellent Motorola XOOM Review.:D

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't know.. just not a good sales tactic I guess..

Kinda like how they push 3D TV's, knowing it's a fad purchase...
I haven't seen Best Buy employees "push" anything*. Always found them super helpful.

*They do have an unfair bias towards Samsung televisions. If I recall correctly, Samsung builds the off brand sold exclusively for Best Buy.

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Thats EXACTLY the brand I was speaking of Chris.. they dam near steer you towards the Samsung 3D Televisions and LED's.. and pretty much downplay the significance of any other model..

'Ohhhh, Panasonic, you don't want that trash.. '

'Sony? If you want to be buying another tv next year, go right ahead..'

'LG? *just laughing*'

'no my friend.. this Samsung 60 inch is what you want.. it cooks, cleans, kisses you in the mouth when you get home from work, and even dries your back when you get out of the shower.. and if you buy it now, we'll throw in the glasses.. they're normally $399, but for just $2600, we'll give you everything.. '

*as I stand there with a dumb look on my face*

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
anyone who says 'my friend'... be cautious..

used car salesmen... furniture dealers.. etc...

if they start out with, or anywhere in a sentence use 'my friend'...

walk away!

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm a Panasonic Viera kind of dude.. they've never let me down..

got one for the living room back in 2009.. and just upgraded to the 60 and moved the living room to the bedroom..

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes, Vieras are very nice. For plasma, you really shouldn't go with anyone but Sammy or Panny these days. But I'm really happy with these Best Buy bobo LCDs. Not a ton of features, but they suit my needs in secondary rooms.

Anyway...

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
Speaking from experience, outside of platform loyalty, I'm not sure why someone would select the XOOM over the iPad 2. FWIW, I had purchased one on the cheap. I ended up reselling it after reading this very excellent Motorola XOOM Review.:D
Dang! I just read the comments that were left for the reviewer, and I'll bet he feels really bad knowing that, that Sandy person won't recommend his site to anyone. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Verizon.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Dang! I just read the comments that were left for the reviewer, and I'll bet he feels really bad knowing that, that Sandy person won't recommend his site to anyone. LOL!

I got a kick out of that. I was more than fair to the XOOM. I did peruse a few reviews from other sites AFTER I concluded my review. From reading those reviews, I think my thoughts of the Xoom weren't very different. If I hadn't put a rating, I doubt that person would have commented. Of course, if they read the review, they would have known that the Xoom earned that rating.

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
I got a kick out of that. I was more than fair to the XOOM. I did peruse a few reviews from other sites AFTER I concluded my review. From reading those reviews, I think my thoughts of the Xoom weren't very different. If I hadn't put a rating, I doubt that person would have commented. Of course, if they read the review, they would have known that the Xoom earned that rating.
I always get a kick out reading some of the comments. People get so defensive over other peoples reviews and get so angry at the reviewer just because it didn't get the rating that they would have given it. I liked your review. But, I only use those reviews as a guide to what I should look out for, should I choose to buy the product myself. I wouldn't bother getting as upset as she was over it.....