Tutorial : Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 with blackra1n

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I'm at 3.0.1 and am going to restore as a new phone, then upgrade to 3.1.2. When I resync in iTunes will that bring everything back besides the Cydia apps (which I will use aptbackup for)?
You should upgrade to 3.1.2 first then restore as a new phone. Once you do that you can sync everything back to your device.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It will sync your media and apps back on, but you'll need to back up your contacts, SMS (if you want them), and set your email network settings up again. Chronus will back up your app store and stock apps settings.

arboyle

Jun 21, 2009
It will sync your media and apps back on, but you'll need to back up your contacts, SMS (if you want them), and set your email network settings up again. Chronus will back up your app store and stock apps settings.

So is this just the backup in iTunes?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. You shouldn't use the iTunes back up after jailbreaking. Backups created while the phone is jailbroken contains traces of the jailbreak and using them has the potential for causing problems. Instead of choosing back up, choose factory settings/new device.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
So what is this 'jailbreak' you ppl are talking about? Does it let me get out of jail free?

(I Keed! I Keed!)

K

kobeshaneisback!

jailbreak is a process of which you can get custom firmware on that Apple wont allow.The main reason people d it is for cydia,Basicakky a rejected app app store.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's works fine for most people. If you run into problems, there are plenty of people here that can help you troubleshoot.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Maybe I just did it wrong...but I used Chronus and Aptbackup (never used em before),,,then updated/restored as new device. Those apps were the first thing I dl'ed from Cydia. They had nothing in them to restore my jb apps or app settings. Bit of pain to set everything up again but worth it for the firmware update/jailbreak. I had also written down all my Cydia apps so getting them back was cool.

jfagundo

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
This doesn't work for me either. I am using the same PC I have used for all my previous jailbreaks. I never see the famous picture after I run the program, all I get is the connect to iTunes picture once the program reboots the phone.

I have never had problems with Dev Teams jailbreaks, guess I'll have to wait till something more stable comes available from them, much more reliable.

Nice try though!

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
jailbreak is a process of which you can get custom firmware on that Apple wont allow.The main reason people d it is for cydia,Basicakky a rejected app app store.
He was kidding kobe, LOL

There has got to be a commonality among the failed ra1ns. Hopefully someone will figure it out.
After reading several different sites, there are many users not being able to successfuly jailbreak.

Squirtle

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
Brownsville Texas
I am one of them gonna try to use some of the guides that Kabamodern just put out hopefully it works also trying switching from XP to windows 7. So hopefully it works for me.