Typing, grammar and punctuation

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
For about 8-10 years now I've been using a smartphone of some type. With that, I've become accustomed to the keyboard correcting spelling mistakes, correcting grammar, entering punctuation, and even adding in words that I completely missed.

There are a few things to consider with this innovation:
- human spelling gets worst
- forgetting phones numbers and the likes get easier
- correct punctuation and the likes are lost; the device virtually does it for you
- correct grammar falls by the way side
...to name a few.

With the few items listed above, how will humans cope in about 5-10 years, with basic writing? Yeah, that thing where you use pen and paper?
I heard a story on the BBC news the other day, about a group trying to have cursive writing completely removed from the school curriculum.

We're in for some strange times ahead, no?

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I must say I wholeheartedly agree with you, which is why I almost always turn auto-correction off in any device I use. Unfortunately, it is enabled by default in Chrome on PC but I try to avoid using it altogether. What pisses me off most, however, is people who type "hru, gd u" and all those nonexistent abbreviations and I sure hope some day we can all go back to just typing proper English, or even just full words!!

And yes, I really do not know how the new generation is going to be able to write an essay in a SAT exam, for example, when everything they do has become computerized.

Reactions: silvermoon

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again:

I like to proof everything I write or type before I submit. It won't eliminate all mistakes, but it will eliminate most of them.

I'm never in such a hurry that I have to submit my material without thinking or looking it over at least once (yes, I'm looking at you, you-know-who :D). I always want to project the most positive image I can (faux arrogance and lack of hubris notwithstanding), and I feel I can do this through my writing, especially on the internet.