Using iPad for school?

joshwithachance

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
will it be able to hook up, either wirelessly or with an adapter, to a printer & print papers? will it even have a word processor? im going to college in the fall and the iPad would be pretty awesome to use everywhere and take to and from school.

srose

Bronze
Jun 10, 2008
I was thinking about getting this for uni too but it does not seem to have a way to write notes. Would be good it it were like the Microsoft Courier

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I don't know how people could consider this for college. How are you going to type on it 24/7 as your workhorse in class? I guarantee you after a week or two of classes and a few neckaches later, you'll appreciate an actual laptop. You're missing the point of this iPad then.

Go with a MacBook or something for college. That's really a no-brainer.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Iam going to be buying this for school aswell. The iWork for iPad info on Apples site says that
"The iWork productivity applications that people know and love on the Mac — Keynote, Pages, and Numbers — have been completely redesigned for iPad. So you can create incredible presentations, word processing documents, and spreadsheets by touching words and images on the large, Multi-Touch screen. Each of these apps has been designed specially for iPad, with all-new features. So while they’re easy to use, they’re also the most powerful productivity apps ever built for a mobile device. You can import iWork ’09 and Microsoft Office documents and send documents in iWork ’09 and PDF formats. And because Keynote, Pages, and Numbers will be sold individually on the App Store, you can purchase them all at once or add them to your iPad over time."

iam pretty sure all your needs with typing word documents and printing them will be fulfilled. Also someone said ability to take notes, it has the notes app if that's what your loookimg for?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
So you're either going to bring the keyboard dock along with you everywhere or crane your neck completely over to rest the iPad on the desk and type? Seems a bit much.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Oh I was meaning to use this In the school library. The library has very nice arm chairs.since I have 2-3 hour breaks inbetween classes. Also if I need to use it while sitting at a desk, the case iam going to buy will fit my needs.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Well you'll need another computer just to sync this to. Just think of it as a giant iPod Touch. For as much money you'd spend on this, you could get a laptop that is far more useful for college.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Well, I think it would be ideal if you could use a stylus. Then you could have handwritten notes on there for subjects like math where typing won't work.

I know there is a pogo stylus
http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php
but that thing is blunt on the end which would make for bad writing of notes (I think).

I'd get a sweet netbook like hp mini 311. Slap some OS X on it, and you'll be much better off than having a giant iPhone.

iThinkiCan

Bronze
Jan 29, 2010
I am currently a student in college and I own an iMac 24" and an iPhone 3G so I'm not sure if this is for me. If I could get my textbooks on this thing, I'm sold. I wouldn't need it to do any heavy duty computing because I would have my desktop for that.

superbike81

Jan 31, 2010
You can get your textbooks on this, well, at least I can from CourseSmart. All of my current books are available on there, at about $50-$60 each, vs the ~$110-$130 I paid USED for each regular book now.

About the whole being hunched over thing, ummmmmm, do you really think that there won't be a little $10 accessory stand for it? There already are cases available for the iPad that allow it to be stood up. Then connect a simple keyboard to it, and good to go, or if you are weird like me, and actually like typing on the touchscreen, you don't even need that.

I think this will be perfect for school, and it will save me a ton of money in the longrun.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You can get your textbooks on this, well, at least I can from CourseSmart. All of my current books are available on there, at about $50-$60 each, vs the ~$110-$130 I paid USED for each regular book now.
With two teenagers in college, I'm all for less-expensive electronic textbooks. The iPad will probably pay for itself in a few semesters with these kind of savings :)

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007

About the whole being hunched over thing, ummmmmm, do you really think that there won't be a little $10 accessory stand for it? There already are cases available for the iPad that allow it to be stood up. Then connect a simple keyboard to it, and good to go, or if you are weird like me, and actually like typing on the touchscreen, you don't even need that.

I think this will be perfect for school, and it will save me a ton of money in the longrun.
So you think it's easier to bring the ipad, an accompanying stand, and a separate keyboard with you just to type out something? You know you can get electronic books on any laptop right? So what money are you saving in the end? You can't even download files from the internet for crying out loud how can this possibly be good for school? It just doesn't make sense and in the end it's a much bigger expense and hassle.

500 bucks can get you a very decent laptop (as long as you're not planning on doing serious gaming on it) which allows you to do everything a regular computer let's you do.

And this is not including the price of the stand and the keyboard which btw is 70 bucks.