using Parallels to Install Windows 7 - Error?

confusedxx

Bronze
Nov 19, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I just signed up for a free trial of Parallels 6. Since it is a free trial, I cannot post on the forums or get live chat help :mad:

I have installed Parallels 6 without a problem and then I put in my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD. When I try to install from the DVD or an image of the DVD, I get the following error :

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then press OK."

This happens regardless of trying to install from the DVD drive or an image on a the mac hard drive. Pressing OK to the error message only allows me to rescan for the drivers or browse. Since the mac works correctly without windows, why do I need drivers?

Secondly, does anyone know how to more easily install Windows 7 on a iMAC?

babu03

Sep 18, 2010
HI confusedxx,

I am having the same issues as you.. Spent the whole night trying to figure out a work around and nothing.. I tried burning the iso image to a DVD but that didn't work either...I was able to install vista on parallels fine but windows 7 won't go through...keeps saying
"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then press OK." Were you able to fix yours? Please tell me how, or anyone.
I am running parallels 6 on snow leopard, and have a student license for windows 7 professional upgrade.

Thank you!

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I know this is a rather late response but the I believe the solution to your problem is you need to disable floppy disc drive support. Its been a while since I used parallels so look for some option about floppy drives at the beginning of the process and disable it. Hopefully this helps anyone else using it in the future.

Despairwefeel

Feb 2, 2011
The problem is that you are trying to load windows 7. Try xp. It is the last decent os that windows has put out since 3.11. But I still do not see what the big deal is over installing lousy Microsoft products on a mac is. The whole point of having a mac is to stay away from Microsoft software. Anything you need to do you can get either open source or from somewhere else other than Microsoft. If there is some kind of application you are looking to run why don't you try to find the closest reasonable facsimile somewhere before you pollute your machine with the poison that is windows.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Windows 7 will work much better than XP on modern hardware. It is also a more secure OS than XP.

If you're having problems with Parallels, i'd strongly recommend trying VMWare fusion. I think they have a free trial available too.

People often install windows in a virtual machine to run proprietary businesss software.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
But I still do not see what the big deal is over installing lousy Microsoft products on a mac is. The whole point of having a mac is to stay away from Microsoft software.
What a ridiculous and asinine thing to say. That may be YOUR purpose for owning a Mac, but don't presume it's everyone else's.
Some people, like myself, use Windows and OSX for work and play across both platforms. With no issues, I might add.

Now to the OP, I'm more of a Windows users than OSX, but is there a reason why you aren't using Bootcamp to install your Windows OS?
I just finished installing Vista on a friend of mine's MacBook Pro using Bootcamp with no issues. Why nit try that?
Oh and I agree that you should definitely go with Windows 7 if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app