Verizon iPhone To Include Personal Hotspot

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It's funny to me that this is such a big deal with some. I usually just talk when I'm on a call (actually I text more than talk though) but I can see maybe if your using your phone for businesss, it's just never been that big of a deal even when I had an iPhone through AT&T and I was able to. I hardly ever did. Just curious to know how much and how often do others use data when they're on a call.
It's a big deal to me!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
What is the internet tethering option on the ATT iPhone? I never tried to use it because I have mywi, but wouldn't this be some sort of hotspot?

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I actually think that the voice/data thing is a big deal, too. If the VZW iPhone was going to be 4G, then I would switch, but it's not, so I think that VZW dropped the ball on this one.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
What is the internet tethering option on the ATT iPhone? I never tried to use it because I have mywi, but wouldn't this be some sort of hotspot?
Not the same. With Mywi, you can connect multiple devices wirelessly just like a wireless router. The native tethering option only allows 1 device connected via USB.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Not the same. With Mywi, you can connect multiple devices wirelessly just like a wireless router. The native tethering option only allows 1 device connected via USB.
Oh, so we can use our charging plug to connect our laptop to the internet? I don't mind if I can only connect 1 computer and it is via usb. Also does it just work off of our data plan? I have mywi, but if I ever have to un-jb, this is good to know. Thanks

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Oh, so we can use our charging plug to connect our laptop to the internet? I don't mind if I can only connect 1 computer and it is via usb. Also does it just work off of our data plan? I have mywi, but if I ever have to un-jb, this is good to know. Thanks
I think you have to pay extra to enable that feature.

ICON502

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
Louisville,Ky
www.youtube.com
The hotspot feature isn't big deal to me. I don't own a iPad and even if I did I wouldn't carry it outside the house very often. So I really have no need for the mobile hotspot feature as of now.
I would much rather have my simultaneous voice and data connection anyday! I use this feature a lot. That would suck saying hey let me call you right back every time I had to look something up while on a call lol.

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
Ok, here's a dumb question. I currently have Verizon wifi, which I can use with 5 devices. Will the iPhone be the same - system, speed, etc?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Say you're in a call and you want to check the map app for directions and estimate of when you'd arrived at your next destination ...
I guess that since I already am use to not doing that or just that I never really have needed to it's not that big of a deal breaker for me but I do understand where it would be nice to have if needed. I usually text way more than i talk.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It's funny to me that this is such a big deal with some. I usually just talk when I'm on a call (actually I text more than talk though) but I can see maybe if your using your phone for businesss, it's just never been that big of a deal even when I had an iPhone through AT&T and I was able to. I hardly ever did. Just curious to know how much and how often do others use data when they're on a call.
I use it all the time. I use navigation all the time. If I was on CDMA and got a call, the navigation app would be useless if the map is not already installed on the HDD. Motion-X Drive is a top navigation app in the AppStore but it relies on data continuously being downloaded to the device as the user moves around. You basically would have to stop driving if you accepted a call to avoid missing a turn.

comfynumb

Bronze
Nov 25, 2010
Scranton Pa
I would be lost not being able go online while on a call. I guess I've been with ATT so long I don't know any other way. (I was a Cingular customer first) People that don't have that option always brush it off and say it's not important but that's not true for me. I also won't be switching from ATT as Verizon is very over rated, slow data is the main thing I couldn't put up with.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You see, it's not all that weird after all, I thought I was the only one

ICON502

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
Louisville,Ky
www.youtube.com
The hotspot feature isn't a big deal to me. Its nice but I just don't think I would use it very often. I would much rather have my simultaneous voice and data connection anyday! I use this feature a lot. That would suck if had to say hey let me call u right back everytime I had to look something up lol. This feature is definitely a must have for me!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
You see, it's not all that weird after all, I thought I was the only one

Don't get me wrong, I've had an iPhone with AT&T and had this feature available to me, I just never really used it that much. It is definitely great if you can use data while on a call if needed. Just personally for me not a deal breaker. :)

comfynumb

Bronze
Nov 25, 2010
Scranton Pa
This is major news.

iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices.

Now what about pricing?
I don't see this working well at all, verizon users have a hard enough time with their 3G data connections now. Share that with 5 devices and they will absolutely crawl. My opinion anyway.