Verizon iPhone To Include Personal Hotspot

BillyJack

Jan 12, 2011
Oh, so we can use our charging plug to connect our laptop to the internet? I don't mind if I can only connect 1 computer and it is via usb. Also does it just work off of our data plan? I have mywi, but if I ever have to un-jb, this is good to know. Thanks
I spoke with an ATT rep today & he told me the tethering option is totally separate from your cell phones data plan. It's pretty pricey! He said it was an extra $45 and u are capped at 2GB!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
You see, it's not all that weird after all, I thought I was the only one

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
Yeah, you're not alone. That was one of the many features I loved when I switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone 3G at the time. With Verizon I could not do two things at once (use Data and Talk) and I was used to it but always thought that was counter productive. I needed info from my phone and while on a call I could not get it. That was just stupid and I hated it. On AT&T I CAN do that! Awesome!

It is a useful feature and I will not give that up especially on the iPhone and especially since I use it so much!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
So, guys, whaddya think?
We won't know until someone tests it out. Keep in mind, Apple will most likely release an update to allow AT&T iPhones to act as a WiFi hotspot and we all know that AT&T 3G network is faster than VZW's EVDO network.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Do people really count tethering that you pay for as a plus?

I hope Att doesn't provide it. I don't want it to interfere with my Mywi.

Could the carriers be any greedier?

comfynumb

Bronze
Nov 25, 2010
Scranton Pa
So, guys, whaddya think?
I think it's a lot of fluff, verizons data is slow as it is. Add another device or 5 to that and you might have to start downloading at thanksgiving to be ready for Christmas lol. Maybe not that bad but I had verizon and it's definitely slower than ATT..

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Do people really count tethering that you pay for as a plus?

I hope Att doesn't provide it. I don't want it to interfere with my Mywi.

Could the carriers be any greedier?
It shouldn't interfere with MyWi. If an iOS update is provided to add WiFi hotspot, you don't have to update so you can keep your jailbreak and continue to use MyWi.

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
We won't know until someone tests it out. Keep in mind, Apple will most likely release an update to allow AT&T iPhones to act as a WiFi hotspot and we all know that AT&T 3G network is faster than VZW's EVDO network.
Not for me, it's not! :)

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
I think it's a lot of fluff, verizons data is slow as it is. Add another device or 5 to that and you might have to start downloading at thanksgiving to be ready for Christmas lol. Maybe not that bad but I had verizon and it's definitely slower than ATT..
What I meant was, would the Verizon iPhone hotspot be the same as the Verizon mifi hotspot? Nothing to do with ATT.

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
What I meant was, would the Verizon iPhone hotspot be the same as the Verizon mifi hotspot? Nothing to do with ATT.
A Verizon rep answered "Yes, same network, should be same functionality on the iPhone as it is on the Mi-Fi", when I asked them this week. I have no AT&T signal at home, so my wife and I use a Verizon Mi-Fi card for data on our two iPhones as well as my desktop. Verizon has already enhanced my use of the iPhone. I'm looking forward to possibly switching when I have more facts, probably this summer.

Nazzb

Jun 7, 2010
It's funny to me that this is such a big deal with some. I usually just talk when I'm on a call (actually I text more than talk though) but I can see maybe if your using your phone for businesss, it's just never been that big of a deal even when I had an iPhone through AT&T and I was able to. I hardly ever did. Just curious to know how much and how often do others use data when they're on a call.
It's really convenient when trying to get directions on say the maps app and stay on the line w/ whoever you are trying to get to. Or Mayb during a call you want to check out movie tickets or score of the game or whatever. It's actually a feature I'll miss if I switch to Verizon

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Ok, here's a dumb question. I currently have Verizon wifi, which I can use with 5 devices. Will the iPhone be the same - system, speed, etc?
Another plus about having a dedicated wifi hotspot is the separate battery.

Also I leverage my phones hotspot to limit having a 6gb plan on my unit and a 500mg for my wife's.

Lastly, a call will interrupt the hotspot on the VZN iPhone 4+, a definite nuisance for the guest users.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
It's really convenient when trying to get directions on say the maps app and stay on the line w/ whoever you are trying to get to. Or Mayb during a call you want to check out movie tickets or score of the game or whatever. It's actually a feature I'll miss if I switch to Verizon
True that, also If your talking to somebody describing something you saw, purchased, a funny text you've read and they say "O yes, text it to me" you can just send it to them vs. The "ok, I gotta hang up to do that, call you back" lol. I don't think that would be a feature I'm willing to give up, it's way convenient.