very dim screen when waking phone after sleep mode

jaywantrao

Jul 13, 2009
iPhone 3G Dims as well.

Its happening to me as well. I tried turning Auto Brightness OFF and the brightness level is at 50% + have even tried RESETTING to FACTORY Settings but no luck. Very annoying to have the phone so dim as its hard to use. I have a Apple iPhone 3G, 16GB White, running v3.0 software with a Black Plastic cover.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this PLEASE ?

EricV

Jul 14, 2009
Add me to the list of those affected. Very curious as to what's up, and further frustrated as I do not have an Apple Store within hours of me (my 3GS is only a little under 4 weeks old.)

Like others I have auto brightness set to off, brightness at about 40%, and last night I had an occurrence of waking the phone up to a very dim screen. I also went to adjust the brightness and that "jarred" it loose.

I'll be watching this thread w/ great anticipation.

Thanks all for such a great forum!

Eric

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this PLEASE ?
Wait for the 3.1 update and hope the issue is addressed. I've had it happen as well.

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
The problem I have lately is when I receive a call the screen does not light up at all to show who's calling. The phone is ringing but the screen is blank as if its asleep. The only way I could get it to light up the screen so that I could answer the call was to push the home button. So anyone have any ideas whats up with that?...Oh I'm on 3.01 beta. Thanks in advance. :)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I just got my phone this afternoon and this happened to me not 5 minutes after activating the phone. I did not have auto-brightness on. I double checked. It kind of scared me because I thought the phone was broken. It hasn't happened again but I definitely don't like it.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I installed OS 3.1 Beta 2 last night and the "staying dim" problem seems to be fixed. I haven't seen it happen and I've also seen the screen react more quickly to brightness changes.

If I cover the sensors and turn it on, it takes a few seconds to react but the screen will dim. If I uncover the sensor, the screen goes back to its original brightness in a few seconds. Looks like 3.1 includes a fix

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
its because its sleeping! you know how when you first wake up, you don't open your eyes wide open but kinda peek. after a couple of seconds you wake up some more and then your eyes are wide open. hahah

actually it happens to me all the time. so much i ignore it. happened with the 3g before also. i thought it was normal. it always goes back to correct brightness after a few seconds. i also think it has something to do with the light sensors.

EricV

Jul 14, 2009
Forkee: on "its because its sleeping! you know how when you first wake up, you don't open your eyes wide open but kinda peek. after a couple of seconds you wake up some more and then your eyes are wide open. hahah"

No, unfortunately. I am still having the issue on my 3GS, and it's becoming more frequent. I wake it, it's very dim (no matter what I do, I can unlock and navigate just fine) and the only way I am able to get it back to full brightness is to select the brightness setting and move the slider (I have auto-bright off and set at about 40%.) Moving the slider works.

Anyone have any update on a fix? How do I get 3.1? I am still on 3.0. Not nearly as enamoured w/ the iPhone as I once was. :(

Thanks!

Eric

bosstimeagain

Aug 18, 2009
Add me to the list. Had my 3gs about a month and its happened 3 times. It usually happens when I have had my iPhone on all night in my bedroom. Pushing the wake button does not resolve the issue for me, however turning the phone off and back on again does the trick.

As people from the US and the UK (me) are having this issue it makes me think it is a software rather than hardware issue - well that's what I hope!

energie

Sep 13, 2008
This has happened to me a lot with auto brightness both off and on with the slider at 50%. Hope Apple addressed it in 3.1 as it's very annoying!

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
It happens to me occasionally. My auto bright is set to on, it very rarely happens. If it does happen, it's only on the lock screen, so if I "slide to unlock" the brightness goes back to normal.