Video-Out Discovery - Try this at your own risk!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
WARNING" I don't know how this will affect your iPad. Does anyone have any idea?

To me, the video out adapter for the iPad (SVGA) is a pain. I don't know if anyone makes an adapter from SVGA to component or composite video or even HDMI, for that matter.

SO... I took my iPad and used the iPhone to Component Video adapter from Apple, but plugged in my 10W iPad power supply to the USB cable, and IT WORKED. I can show video (and play audio) through a TV just like on an iPhone.

Thoughts? Am I risking my iPad by doing this? Am I endangering my TV? It makes it possible to show videos on my iPad through my TV without an iPad to SVGA to Component Video adapter.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If it thought it was any kind of danger to iPad it would have brought up the accessory not designed warning box. Should be fine. :eek:k:eek:k

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
The video cables listed on Apples site is the same cable for several devices. I think you should be fine.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've done it as well, though not with the 10w p/s. Just the regular one that came with the iPhone. It beeped just like it was being charged, and the video played without incident.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
The composite cable is better anyway because it let's you video-out DRM protected movies even, unlike the VGA adapter.