Video renting

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Not exactly sure where to put this since it deals with my macbook, iPhone, and iTunes so I'll just stick it here. I want to rent a couple of videos off of iTunes for my flight on Friday and there are a few things I am unsure about. 1. can a jailbroken 1.1.4 phone take the rented movies?
2. I was reading on the Apple website and I didn't totally understand this subject, it kind of contradicted itself it seemed. I get 30 days with the movie right? But once I start viewing it I only get 24 hours? can I not watch it as many times as I want in the 30 days?
3. What are peoples experience that have watched videos on the iPhone, how long does the battery last?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Not exactly sure where to put this since it deals with my macbook, iPhone, and iTunes so I'll just stick it here. I want to rent a couple of videos off of iTunes for my flight on Friday and there are a few things I am unsure about. 1. can a jailbroken 1.1.4 phone take the rented movies?
2. I was reading on the Apple website and I didn't totally understand this subject, it kind of contradicted itself it seemed. I get 30 days with the movie right? But once I start viewing it I only get 24 hours? can I not watch it as many times as I want in the 30 days?
3. What are peoples experience that have watched videos on the iPhone, how long does the battery last?
1. I don't see why a jailbroken iPhone shouldn't be able to load the rented movies.

2. The 30 day clock starts upon completion of the download. If you have NOT watched any portion of the rented movie, the movie will expire and self-delete at the end of that period. The 24 hour clock begins the moment you start playing. You can watch the same rented movie as many times as you want during that 24 hour period. But, after 24 hours, the same movie expires. Macworld.com has some additional info about work arounds for situations where you start watching, but can't finish. In that case, you would simply pause the movie where you were at and come back again within the 30 day period.

You can move the rented movie to and from your iPhone as many times as you want. If you rent an HD movie via the Apple TV, you will not be able to transfer it to your iPhone or your computer.

The rented movies are encoded at sufficient bit rate to be able to enjoy on an external TV. Just make sure you use the wide-screen toggle if the movie is in wide screen. :)

3. Battery life really depends on the brightness setting you have set. You should be able to get a movie viewed before the end of battery power. Peronally, I've invested in an external battery by Macally so that I still have my battery on the iPhone when I've reached my destination.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Well I have a 3 hour layover in Seattle so I figure I'm just going to plug my macbook in there then connect my phone to that to get them all charged up. I'll only watch the movie on my phone if my battery runs out, much better on a larger screen. Thanks for the info, better get to downloading before I leave!