Wall Street Speculation on New iPhones

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
The article calls such a device an iPod-Phone. What would make it really interesting if such a device includes all iPod features not found on the iPhone rendition.

Still, makes you wonder about the challenges of implementing such a device. Would we need two types of firmware updates, one for the iPod Phone and one for the iPhone?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
They'd better introduce another iPhone - my V1's dying, fast. Hopefully it'll be something bigger and better, however, so that I'll have reason to buy it..

On the topic of Apple's stock rating remaining "buy", I agree. It's dipped quite a bit since it's all time high of $201 per share last year, but it remains the only stock that has a green percentage box amongst a lot of red whenever I open the stocks app.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
They'd better introduce another iPhone - my V1's dying, fast. Hopefully it'll be something bigger and better, however, so that I'll have reason to buy it..

Ditto. My battery ain't what it used to be. Not a problem yet, but soon... That and I unknowingly plugged my car charger in with snow and rock salt stuck in it, giving me the dreaded airplane mode warning for over an hour. Fortunately, I air blasted it and dried it out and that seems ok. For now.

I doubt a no-data-plan iPhone will ever come out. Seems like it would make sense, but both Apple and AT&T will probably make plenty of money just not doing that.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
maybe so.

I will say this though... that is the ONLY way something like an iPhone nano would be successful.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
no data would be too much of a backwards step. it seems ancient to not receive email in your pocket all day long.
But, if you are getting an iPhone for a child, and don't want to pay the $30 for data, such the iPod phone makes sense. Especially, if your child is not likely to go to a WiFi hotspot (without supervision), and you want to retain parental control over internet access.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well, to be fair, there are security locks on safari, the app store, etc.

Still, I personally think it would be beneficial to many people.

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
does no data simply mean for the most part a 'pay-as-you-go' version of the iPhone?

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
entry level iPod Phone? seems another good idea like iPhone nano.
all under Apple's name, entry-level is good to go anyway.