Wallstreet Journal Review

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Yup, his review is pretty much "on the money" for what I expecting out of this product. So nothing in the review comes as a big shocker to me. I'm glad to hear that he became ok with the keyboard after a bit, but the capacitive multitouch touch screen hasn't really been of concern for me anyway.

Also, you gotta remember. This phone's features are only software, which Apple and and WILL continue to tweak over time. So, expect, glaring omissions to be fixed rather quickly & nice little bells and whistles to come alone as time progresses on.

In a way, its kinda neat to have a product grow as you own it. I think you get a better appreciation for the feature, or magic button you wished you had on your phone, than if you just had them all along. One day it just pops up, and you are so happy, its like getting a new iPhone all over again! So, in a way, in this case atleast, I'd like to think of the lack of a feature as actually being a feature.

Don't sweat not being able to set ringtones now, but won't it be cool when you you wake up that one morning and you can? Etc etc, so on, insert more examples here.

Do you feel me here?

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I think this is pretty interesting..."you [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]can't send picture messages. (It sends photos only by e-mail, which most phones can't get.)"..by[/SIZE][/FONT] NY Times: David Pogue

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Very surprising you can't copy or paste. That is a big set back with email. As for the alternate keyboard, that could get pretty annoying as well. Sounds like all the other features are what everyone expected though. Still shocked that they didn't put iChat in as well, seems like such an easy addition and no real reason not to (other than people using less text messages since they can IM, but that's never stopped AT&T before).

Also even if this review had been totally negative, it's funny to look at it compared to the Post review. Granted it is a businesss review, but the guy from the Post didn't even cover any of the features.

Those of you who were discussing video capture with me...told ya so!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Sorry if this was answered already but how dos Mossberg know that it is not upgradeable to 3G? I don't understand how he could know this.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
No offense to those who love ringtones, but the target market for ringtone users and for the iPhone are not exactly the same. I know there is some overlap, but I suspect the typical iPhone customer does not care that much about ringtones, so not being able to use an iTune song as a ringtone would be considered a minor annoyance at best.

Kind of how I would view it.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Sorry if this was answered already but how dos Mossberg know that it is not upgradeable to 3G? I don't understand how he could know this.
He knows it because he has common sense. That will be one of the main reasons to buy iPhone 2.0. Sorry, but they are still a businesss.

sandgrencivic2k1

Jun 25, 2007
One thing I wish it had which it doesn't look like it does is some way to store files other than music or videos.

I do a lot of stuff on the road and was hoping that I could sync my laptop with the phone to put say a pdf on the phone so I could email it through the phone when I can't find internet access.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
One thing I wish it had which it doesn't look like it does is some way to store files other than music or videos.

I do a lot of stuff on the road and was hoping that I could sync my laptop with the phone to put say a pdf on the phone so I could email it through the phone when I can't find internet access.
Email it to yourself. Problem solved!

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
No offense to those who love ringtones, but the target market for ringtone users and for the iPhone are not exactly the same. I know there is some overlap, but I suspect the typical iPhone customer does not care that much about ringtones, so not being able to use an iTune song as a ringtone would be considered a minor annoyance at best.

Kind of how I would view it.
i guess i'm the target market, because i could care less about ringtones.

sandgrencivic2k1

Jun 25, 2007
The problem is not having internet coverage on my laptop say when I trek across Nevada, so was hoping to be able to still email documents from my laptop through my phone

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Lacking Cut and Paste does seem quite odd, but surely that is a quick and early software update.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Good review.

Regarding the virtual keyboard, everything that I have read saids to trust it. If you trust it, it will work. Instead of focusing on each letter, muscle through it and let the self-correcting software do its job.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
The problem is not having internet coverage on my laptop say when I trek across Nevada, so was hoping to be able to still email documents from my laptop through my phone
Ah I see, well if I'm not mistaken you can sync your email to your phone. So I assume you could possibly sync a draft or there is some way to make it work.

Hattrick

Jun 26, 2007
On the ringtone front - can you still download from ATT? I understand I can't use my own music from iTunes, but if I want to purchase something...can I?

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
On the ringtone front - can you still download from ATT? I understand I can't use my own music from iTunes, but if I want to purchase something...can I?
no custom ringtones period (for now they say its coming soon)

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Great review! im glad to know that the keyboard does infact work like jobs said it would (i saw a few "reviews", they could have been speculation, that said the keyboard was hard to use).

all i want to know now is if i can take the SIM card from the iPhone and use it in another cheaper phone for when i do something where my phone could get damaged so i don't hurt my shiny new iPhone :) all i would need it to do is make and receive phone calls and hopefully text but thats not the big of a deal.