Web apps make no sense to me

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
"Stupid" enough to help create the iPhone, Mac computers, iTunes, iPods.... Well, he also, of course, released the firmware update 1.1.1! And the web apps and not releasing SDK. Other than that, I think he's a genius IMHO....

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
"Stupid" enough to help create the iPhone, Mac computers, iTunes, iPods.... Well, he also, of course, released the firmware update 1.1.1! And the web apps and not releasing SDK. Other than that, I think he's a genius IMHO....
I don't know who you are replying to but I didn't say anything about Steve Jobs being stupid.

--
Mike

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
No, I don't think that SJ is stupid either, really he is the king of spin. He really can sell anything at all. The thing that he said was stupid was a single app on the phone bringing down the ATT network. Currently on Windows mobile there are tons of 3rd party apps, not seeing any trouble there. So what is so special about the Apple ones that he knows about that we don't?

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I don't know who you are replying to but I didn't say anything about Steve Jobs being stupid.

--
Mike
Steve Jobs is not stupid, Mike! J/K I know you didn't say that. ;) But he is stubborn and forward thinking sometimes to a fault! Regarding web apps, not everyone works at 1 Infinite Loop where I'm certain wi-fi is diffuse. I'm sure Steve believes web apps may be the future but it's clunky on Edge.

Steve has always taken the path less traveled by and it HAS made all the difference but it's a lonely one until the world catches up. Having been a Mac fanboy since late's 80's, some of the things Apple has done was infuriating. Apple adopted the CD drive and eliminated the 3.5" floppy drive. It was forward thinking but at the time it was a pain to transfer documents because CD's were expensive. But the best example is the ONE button mouse! Steve stuck by his guns and kept the crippled one button mouse for years. I have 3 unopened mice which came with my Mac desktops. I had to use a an ugly/non-matching Windows mouse! ;)

IMO, we will not be getting cut & paste and few other things people are wishing for. These features could've been firmwared easily by now. It will either be because Steve feels it doesn't complement his overall vision of the iPhone. Or he'll release these features with future iPhones to make you upgrade. For example, when the PC desktop GHz speed race was on years ago and surpassing 2GHz, Apple desktops were at 1Ghz. Apple was releasing slow incremental speed bumps to make us upgrade annually and we obediantly purchased them with a smile.

So Windows users, welcome to the world of Apple. IMO, Apple makes the best and most aesthetically "lickable" products but it's all about incremental improvements to sell more products. I've read that R&D for Apple products are planned 5 years in advance but why blow your wad and give it all to the consumers now. That would be stupid, ie- planned obsolescence for all things Apple.

Having said all that, this is the first time I've seen Apple give into consumer outcries. We Mac fanboys have been screaming for years about certain Mac "innovations" but no one cared because we were less than 5% of the market. But with iPhones/iPods being ubiquitous the mob pressure may be too great for Jobs to ignore. :laugh2:;)

Remember the one button mouse...:p

rotobadger

Aug 11, 2007
So Windows users, welcome to the world of Apple. IMO, Apple makes the best and most aesthetically "lickable" products but it's all about incremental improvements to sell more products.
Please don't lick your computer. It's unsanitary.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
It's interesting to compare the iPhone now to the early days of personal computers. In those days, having any connection to the outside world was slow (anyone remember 300 baud modems?) and only useful for transferring small files and logging on to text-based services like CompuServe. Can you imagine what it would have been like if you had to use your modem to run apps, too?

Now, 30 years later, it's generally assumed that most desktop computers are connected to the Internet 24/7. But still, most apps are local and don't require an Internet connection to run. Even many Widgets under OS X run independently.

Apple argues that the iPhone is not a PC. But why bother including any apps that don't demand external connectivity (like a calendar) if that's the case? How often would you use the iPhone's calendar app if it only worked over a Wi-Fi or Edge connection?

Even if Apple provided a way to create Web apps that don't need Safari, which adds an extra layer of complexity, there are many places where I have no Edge or Wi-Fi service. And some of those (work, for example) are places where I most need added functions that only local apps can provide.

Just my three cents. :)