What can/can't Siri do?

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
Why didn't you ask Siri where the closest one is? I guess you expect Siri to read your mind? lol

smh...
Well....read my mind, no. But I would expect if I said holiday gas station that she could do it. Seems she can't even answer the question.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorrien12

Bronze
Oct 13, 2011
The only gripe I had there was that I don't need a contact for me in my phone. And if you do have one so you can send your contact info to another phone, then the relationships links get sent also. Other people don't need to know that info. There needs to be a separate area in settings for relationships.
The only thing that I think is good about that, is if you get into an accident or something, then the authorities could find your family by looking up your name. But then again if you are unconscious and they didn't know your name, unless you had ID. It works in a way but they could do something better.

BTW: I typed this all using Siri!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Asked Siri to solve a system of equations in two variables 10y+4x=12 over 9y+2x=6 over 4y+1x=8, and it came back with the right answer. So it seems to have a complex algorithm for math. When i entered those equations into a google search to solve it, no solution came up.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Asked Siri to solve a system of equations in two variables 10y+4x=12 over 9y+2x=6 over 4y+1x=8, and it came back with the right answer. So it seems to have a complex algorithm for math. When i entered those equations into a google search to solve it, no solution came up.
I believe Siri uses http://www.wolframalpha.com/ for such requests. Type the same question in there and it will most likely give you the right answer.

Reactions: Smarty2600

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Well....read my mind, no. But I would expect if I said holiday gas station that she could do it. Seems she can't even answer the question.
I'm thinking because holiday gas station isn't that big of a chain maybe? Almost everyone has heard of Shell. ? Just a thought.

Reactions: canamera

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
I'm thinking because holiday gas station isn't that big of a chain maybe? Almost everyone has heard of Shell. ? Just a thought.
I don't know. Up here Holiday is huge. We don't even have a Shell in town. Went out of businesss about 10 years ago. Anyway the point I was making was simply that it is less AI and more voice recognition. There are some cool features and the voice recognition works very well but it's not as smart as Apple would like us to think. I use it for texts in the car but I wish it read what you are about to send back to you so I didn't have to look at the screen to make sure it got it right. I use it to set my alarm clock. And I have used it for reminders to do things when I get to work or home.

And it already seems to be connecting to the network with more reliability.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
WolframAlpha it is. I was surprised Google did not show much interest in the engine, the first time WA launched in 2009. Now Apple certainly unlocks some of the potential of this wonderful search engine.
WA is more of a fact based search engine that works on relational data. For example if you type 'phildelphia eagles win' (hehe) in WA it will give you facts related to that relationship. Google, obviously, is much broader.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I don't know. Up here Holiday is huge. We don't even have a Shell in town. Went out of businesss about 10 years ago. Anyway the point I was making was simply that it is less AI and more voice recognition. There are some cool features and the voice recognition works very well but it's not as smart as Apple would like us to think. I use it for texts in the car but I wish it read what you are about to send back to you so I didn't have to look at the screen to make sure it got it right. I use it to set my alarm clock. And I have used it for reminders to do things when I get to work or home.

And it already seems to be connecting to the network with more reliability.
I believe the problem is that Siri may see the word Holiday as Holiday and not a brand name
try to play Mistletoe by Justin Bieber and had the same issue or it was a imutterlangauge communiction error

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I believe the problem is that Siri may see the word Holiday as Holiday and not a brand name
try to play Mistletoe by Justin Bieber and had the same issue or it was a imutterlangauge communiction error
No, I think it's a Bieber issue! Hehehee

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Glad you keep trying. A close friend of mine, from Cuba, struggles with English--I would bet much more so than your accent. But she is driven to speak English and wouldn't use Spanish version of Siri even if it was out now. Believe it or not Siri is helping her by instantly showing her what she is saying might sound like, and what it sounds like if correct.

She called me the other day, literally thrilled the she used Siri to do so. :)

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't know. Up here Holiday is huge.
Well I have never heard of it and have traveled a lot in the USA.

That and the fact that they chose "holiday" as a name would not lead me to expect it to work with Siri.

For the record I rarely even visit those off-brand gas stations. A friend is a chemical engineer for a nearby re-refinery. They take mixed fuel coming in from the pipelines in Tucson and Cali and re-refine it. This is the stuff in between changing over from say diesel to gasoline. The result is sold to off-brand stations locally. He won't buy gas from those places and neither will I.

Michael

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
Well I have never heard of it and have traveled a lot in the USA.

That and the fact that they chose "holiday" as a name would not lead me to expect it to work with Siri.

For the record I rarely even visit those off-brand gas stations. A friend is a chemical engineer for a nearby re-refinery. They take mixed fuel coming in from the pipelines in Tucson and Cali and re-refine it. This is the stuff in between changing over from say diesel to gasoline. The result is sold to off-brand stations locally. He won't buy gas from those places and neither will I.

Michael
Keep making excuses.

Now you say that Siri can't do it because it's not a huge national chain and it is purposely not telling me where the gas station is because your buddy said the gas was crappy?

Really? Smacked or not I have to say it.

So how is this for obscure? Abner's Restaurant.....ever heard of it in your wide travels in the USA? What does your buddy say about Abners?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Keep making excuses.

Now you say that Siri can't do it because it's not a huge national chain and it is purposely not telling me where the gas station is because your buddy said the gas was crappy?
If that is the level of your reading comprehension then I am afraid you will never understand what I am trying to say. No wonder Siri doesn't work for you.

And yes, "Holiday Gas" is not a place I would likely buy gasoline. Sorry, my choice.

Anyway, good luck!

Michael

MuddyPaws

Zealot
Oct 3, 2009
If that is the level of your reading comprehension then I am afraid you will never understand what I am trying to say. No wonder Siri doesn't work for you.

And yes, "Holiday Gas" is not a place I would likely buy gasoline. Sorry, my choice.

Anyway, good luck!

Michael
I would challenge your buddy to back his claim with proof. Besides different additives.

What's even funnier is that Abner's has been out of businesss for 6 years. Closed. Building torn town. It's a field now.

Here's a strange twist....go into Maps and type in Holiday Gas Station and holy cow...there it is. It's a mid-west thing. Been around for 80 years.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I had a co worker ask
Siri what she looked like. She replied "shiny" lol.

Sent from my iPhone4 using iCafe app

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I would challenge your buddy to back his claim with proof. Besides different additives.
Well apparently I hit nerve and you think I'm insulting your precious "holiday" gas. Well in fact I'm not. I have never heard of them and will likely never see them anyway. But if I do I might get a gallon or two to make you happy. :)

Michael