iPhone 6s What do you think of the iPhone 6s? Any big differences?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Tried to use 3D Touch on the link and didn't work. Guess some apps will need to be reworked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you going for a "peek" at the website or a full opening of it in Safari?

If it fails in Tapatalk, try with Safari… just for now, until the Tapatalk developer updates his/her app. You could also try contacting the developer. From the app's site on iTunes: "We hope you enjoy the update. If you have specific usability issue especially to a specific site, you can now tap the 'Contact Us' from the Profile tab (Me). Just send us an email and we will help you within two business days."

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I love the always listening Siri. I can compose and send a text from across the room. It's totally hands free without it being plugged to power.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can't get to my lock screen anymore to view my alerts because the Touch ID is too accurate and too fast to press it with my thumb and not have it instantaneously unlock the phone. I think I'm going to have to rescan my thumbprint and purposefully make it not as good of a scan (maybe avoid scanning near the top and then use the top to invoke the lock screen without unlocking). Either that or I'm going to have to get used to using the lock button to invoke the lock screen without unlocking the phone. Using another digit isn't an option due to the way hold and use the phone single handed. Talk about first world problems...:D

Reactions: Rafagon

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Your last iPhone… is it gone?

If not, then you may be able to export its Health data using a third-party app called QS Access—and then import it into your new iPhone.

Instructions are here: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/06/10/how-to-export-import-health-data/

Scroll about ⅓ of the way down to this heading: "How to export data from your Health app using a third-party app" and follow those instructions.

The first way—using the Health app alone—is apparently useless, at least right now.
Aww, I wish this worked :( I was so excited. I looked at the CSV output by QS Access and it looked a little wonky, but figured I'd give it a shot. Health Importer doesn't seem to have the option to import the nutrient data that I've entered from MyFitnessPal. The few data points I tried to import, it didn't work (said "Completed! 0 data items have been saved to Health App" )

Thanks for the heads up though! At least I know now the health data lives somewhere tangible even if I can't import it right now.

Reactions: Rafagon

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I can't get to my lock screen anymore to view my alerts because the Touch ID is too accurate and too fast to press it with my thumb and not have it instantaneously unlock the phone. I think I'm going to have to rescan my thumbprint and purposefully make it not as good of a scan (maybe avoid scanning near the top and then use the top to invoke the lock screen without unlocking). Either that or I'm going to have to get used to using the lock button to invoke the lock screen without unlocking the phone. Using another digit isn't an option due to the way hold and use the phone single handed. Talk about first world problems...:D
Hit the edge of the button with your thumbnail if you just want to light up the screen to see notifications; that'll avoid giving the sensor anything to work with

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
I usually set up as new, but I just did that on my 6 a couple weeks ago. What a pain. If I have any issues, I will restore and start over. Liking the size of the Plus. Not having any regrets about moving to this size, but it also hasn't been a full day yet, either. I didn't start off using the fingerprint scanner for unlocking because of the delay in the past. After reading what Europa said, I went ahead and set that up. Wow. It is fast. Much faster. I will be testing the camera tomorrow.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It's been an easy adjustment, switching from the iP6+ to the iP6S+. Despite all the new features and under the hood changes, I feel like it's been harder to come away impressed by the new phone. (This next part is entirely my opinion) Of course, this is only because the iP6+ was already so good and worked so well (for me, at least). I even restored from the 6+ backup which is something I don't usually do with new devices. No issues so far, although it's been less than 24 hours. If I wasn't that guy/geek who always needs to have the latest Apple gadget/on AT&T Next, I would be perfectly content waiting for the 7. I can honestly recommend waiting for the 7 to those who aren't total nerds or aren't due for an upgrade but have 6/6+'s (my opinion could change once we see more with 3D Touch).

That said, here are some of the differences I found most noticeable...

-The heft. I've read many reviews already that say the difference in weight is negligible. I found that to be not quite true. There's definitely a noticeable difference. Have I already gotten used to it in the 14ish hours I've had the phone? Yes, but at first it was almost like, "woah this thing feels cumbersome" which I never found to be the case with the 6+ and this is coming from someone who is 6'4" with hands to match. Now that I'm used to it, I certainly can appreciate the reinforcements/stronger aluminum as it adds that solidity, quality, and reassurance that the 6 and 6+ seemed to lack. Haven't handled a 6S yet but my best friend's 6 seems toy-like in comparison (in regards to feel).

-Touch ID. I thought the early reviews were a little dramatic in saying that it was so fast that it was basically impossible to use the home button to light up the screen without unlocking it to the home screen. Holy... Yeah, those reviews were not exaggerating in the slightest bit. This thing is fast. Every one of my friends who saw it in action today insisted on letting them press the home button because they thought I had no passcode setup and changed some setting that caused it to open straight to the home screen. Every single one was blown away by how quickly it scans fingerprints, as am I.

-3D Touch. While I'm still getting used to it, I already see this becoming an essential part of my daily operation, as I'm sure Apple intended. Right now, my favorite and most used part of it is switching between apps and getting back to the home screen. Double clicking already feels archaic. Looking forward to seeing how this evolves over the coming months.

The iPhone 6 Plus might be the first phone that I've never gotten bored with. Usually after a few months, let alone a whole year, I'm itching for something different. This time around, it was more like, "oh crap, it's time for the new iPhone already." Overall, for being someone who appreciates change and can get bored easily, I'm really enjoying the new phone despite being so similar to the last one.

Reactions: chris

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Just use a different finger if you want to see the lock screen!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just use a different finger if you want to see the lock screen!
My right thumb is the only option when I pull it out of my pocket and I'm using it single handed and I'm holding something in the left hand. The other four fingers are wrapped around the phone. Even when my left hand isn't in use, I would rather train myself to bring my thumb up and hit the lock button than use a finger on my left hand. It would feel a lot less awkward.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You could always make one yourself. Start us off! :D

View the live photo on your iPhone 6s/6s Plus. Tap the photo (or peek it or whatever is done to make it animate). Record the screen using a second device. Upload the footage to YouTube (mark it as unlisted so that the whole world doesn't see it). Then give us the link here on eiC.

Hey, I never said it would be easy :)
Very soon an intrepid developer will make a ton of cash on an app that will convert Live Photos into gifs or html5 clips.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hit the edge of the button with your thumbnail if you just want to light up the screen to see notifications; that'll avoid giving the sensor anything to work with
My hand isn't big enough to angle it enough that the tip of my thumb doesn't touch it. I didn't scan the thumb tip, but it still registers it. I think I'll rescan and try to not to go anywhere near my thumb tip.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's been an easy adjustment, switching from the iP6+ to the iP6S+. Despite all the new features and under the hood changes, I feel like it's been harder to come away impressed by the new phone. (This next part is entirely my opinion) Of course, this is only because the iP6+ was already so good and worked so well (for me, at least). I even restored from the 6+ backup which is something I don't usually do with new devices. No issues so far, although it's been less than 24 hours. If I wasn't that guy/geek who always needs to have the latest Apple gadget/on AT&T Next, I would be perfectly content waiting for the 7. I can honestly recommend waiting for the 7 to those who aren't total nerds or aren't due for an upgrade but have 6/6+'s (my opinion could change once we see more with 3D Touch).

That said, here are some of the differences I found most noticeable...

-The heft. I've read many reviews already that say the difference in weight is negligible. I found that to be not quite true. There's definitely a noticeable difference. Have I already gotten used to it in the 14ish hours I've had the phone? Yes, but at first it was almost like, "woah this thing feels cumbersome" which I never found to be the case with the 6+ and this is coming from someone who is 6'4" with hands to match. Now that I'm used to it, I certainly can appreciate the reinforcements/stronger aluminum as it adds that solidity, quality, and reassurance that the 6 and 6+ seemed to lack. Haven't handled a 6S yet but my best friend's 6 seems toy-like in comparison (in regards to feel).

-Touch ID. I thought the early reviews were a little dramatic in saying that it was so fast that it was basically impossible to use the home button to light up the screen without unlocking it to the home screen. Holy... Yeah, those reviews were not exaggerating in the slightest bit. This thing is fast. Every one of my friends who saw it in action today insisted on letting them press the home button because they thought I had no passcode setup and changed some setting that caused it to open straight to the home screen. Every single one was blown away by how quickly it scans fingerprints, as am I.

-3D Touch. While I'm still getting used to it, I already see this becoming an essential part of my daily operation, as I'm sure Apple intended. Right now, my favorite and most used part of it is switching between apps and getting back to the home screen. Double clicking already feels archaic. Looking forward to seeing how this evolves over the coming months.

The iPhone 6 Plus might be the first phone that I've never gotten bored with. Usually after a few months, let alone a whole year, I'm itching for something different. This time around, it was more like, "oh crap, it's time for the new iPhone already." Overall, for being someone who appreciates change and can get bored easily, I'm really enjoying the new phone despite being so similar to the last one.
I didn't hear that about that particular problem as a result of Touch ID being too fast before getting it, but I quickly discovered it on my own and I'm trying to find the least awkward workaround. I'm going to try dumbing down my thumb print scans.

How are you getting back to the home screen with 3D Touch? I can switch apps with it, but I can't find a way to get to the home screen without the home button.

I can relate to the boredom, but only in regards to it being such a rigid device when it's stock. I can't believe how much I miss my jailbreak this time around. It's always a rough transition back to a non-customizable phone, but this time seems to be harder than usual.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I went from a 6 to a 6s+ so i
Get a Watch! Problem solved! You know you want one!! :ROFLMAO::D

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I made the jump from the 6 to the 6s Plus and am really enjoying it so far. I mainly wanted a the bigger screen so all the other goodies are just a bonus. I am disappointed with the live wallpapers; they should move automatically when the lock screen is activated.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
How are you getting back to the home screen with 3D Touch? I can switch apps with it, but I can't find a way to get to the home screen without the home button.
When you press hard on the left side of the screen (peek & pop) the switcher opens (same as double click home button). The home screen is at the far right of the switcher. That way, if the home button is out of reach, you can still get there.

Since we're probably never going to see a normal sized phone from Apple again, this is about as good as it gets for one-handers like me. I have it set to light touch though and it's still not quite as easy to activate as I think it should be.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm a first timer with Touch ID. I have noticed that and wondered if it was normal. Missed my lock screen stuff this morning.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
My only disappointment is my Verizon signal on the 6s Plus is not as good as on the 5. I got 4 dots with the 5, and only 2 with the Plus. The numeric signal for the 5 was -102 to -98 at home. It's -114 with the Plus.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
My right thumb is the only option when I pull it out of my pocket and I'm using it single handed and I'm holding something in the left hand. The other four fingers are wrapped around the phone. Even when my left hand isn't in use, I would rather train myself to bring my thumb up and hit the lock button than use a finger on my left hand. It would feel a lot less awkward.
Well, there's a perfect idea for the iPhone 7. Implement 3D Touch on the Home Button.

Light tap → lock screen
Deeper tap → Scan the fingerprint and proceed to home screen on successful match

I've seen the words "too fast" being used to describe the fingerprint scanner elsewhere on the Internet—so you're not alone! If enough people mention it to Apple, they might just do something about it.

Reactions: acosmichippo

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I made the jump from the 6 to the 6s Plus and am really enjoying it so far. I mainly wanted a the bigger screen so all the other goodies are just a bonus. I am disappointed with the live wallpapers; they should move automatically when the lock screen is activated.
Speaking of Live Wallpapers, I do have a question for those of you who have received your new iPhones. What did Apple do with the previously existing Dynamic Wallpapers that had been around since iOS 7? Were they eliminated?

Those colorful bubbles slowly moved around the screen… all the time, not just when the screen was being touched. This is how I thought the new Live Wallpapers were going to work. It's disappointing that it didn't turn out that way.