iPhone 6s What do you think of the iPhone 6s? Any big differences?

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
My phone is fine but setting it up has been a nightmare. Lost all my ringtones and playlists that were on my old phone.

Haven't figured out 3D Touch. Phone seems to operate the same way to me.

Dynamic wallpapers not working on lock screen sucks.

Overall I'm not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
My phone is fine but setting it up has been a nightmare. Lost all my ringtones and playlists that were on my old phone.

Haven't figured out 3D Touch. Phone seems to operate the same way to me.

Dynamic wallpapers not working on lock screen sucks.

Overall I'm not impressed.

You should be able to get your ring tones and play lists back. Give 3D Touch time. When 3rd party apps implement it, it will be better. Have you tried the live wallpapers?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Speaking of Live Wallpapers, I do have a question for those of you who have received your new iPhones. What did Apple do with the previously existing Dynamic Wallpapers that had been around since iOS 7? Were they eliminated?

Those colorful bubbles slowly moved around the screen… all the time, not just when the screen was being touched. This is how I thought the new Live Wallpapers were going to work. It's disappointing that it didn't turn out that way.
They are still there are work the same so I'm not sure why Apple chose not to automatically animate the Live wallpapers the same way.

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
How do I activate the fish? Wallpaper not moving.

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Well all of a sudden when I open my iPhone the home screen flashes opens the apps. What happened to the need for a passcode? And yes it is activated in settings.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Well all of a sudden when I open my iPhone the home screen flashes opens the apps. What happened to the need for a passcode? And yes it is activated in settings.

Are you "opening" your iPhone by touching the Home Button with one of your registered fingerprints? Is so, then that's just how it works. It scans the fingeprint of the person touching the Home Button, compares against the stored data, and lets the user in if there was a match.

It all happens very, very fast indeed: http://www.redmondpie.com/heres-how-fast-the-touch-id-is-on-iphone-6s-compared-to-iphone-6-video/

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Got it. How else would I open? On off button?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Got it. How else would I open? On off button?
Yes. AKA the sleep/wake button. That was one of the suggestions to those who are being adversely affected by the fast fingerprint verification process and for whatever reason are unable to use an alternate finger.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I love this phone. Blazing fast ! 3D Touch is the bomb. I added a live photo as live wallpaper . I actually like that it's not running all the time - battery drain . This iPhone has become my favorite in matter of less then a day use !
I've see a few people make the assumption that it would zap the battery. That's ridiculous. It would probably make a 0.1% difference in battery life. Far less than watching one YouTube video that day. We wouldn't sit and watch the fish all day. It would just animate for a few seconds when we checked the time or notifications. This implementation of having to press the screen is really lame. And even when I do press the screen, it doesn't just swim like I want it to for few seconds. It only goes for 0.5 seconds unless I press hard and hold. And even then, it isn't long. It's useless the way it is, so I'm removing it. Some people may think it's a petty thing for me to be annoyed with, but this commercial was incredibly misleading.

Reactions: Hondamaker

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I've see a few people make the assumption that it would zap the battery. That's ridiculous. It would probably make a 0.1% difference in battery life.
I also thought it would hurt battery life—but that was when I thought these "Live Wallpapers" behaved like the old "Dynamic Wallpapers." In any case, I'm glad to be learning the harsh reality through you guy now, before my iPhone arrives. I can now adjust my expectations accordingly. I hadn't seen that commercial before, and you are right—it is quite deceptive.

I'm sure the jailbreakers will find a way to keep the fish swimming for more than half a second at a time.

This one Greek dude already brought Live Photos to older iPhones. It appears that he did a pretty decent job of it, too.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm really loving the battery life. I've been using my iPhone all day every day since I got it, and it takes forever to drain the batter even a little. My iPhone 6 had OK battery life, but the 6S rocks. I'm on iOS 9.1 beta 2, if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Rafagon

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm really loving the battery life. I've been using my iPhone all day every day since I got it, and it takes forever to drain the batter even a little. My iPhone 6 had OK battery life, but the 6S rocks. I'm on iOS 9.1 beta 2, if that makes a difference.
I read somewhere that a real battery hog of a task is filming a minute or two of 4K video. Have you tried that yet?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Lucky :D I've been using it non stop and lose 50% every couple hours :( less than or equal to my 6 when it was new. Wonder if it's just my usual curse, I'm using it too hard, or if 9.1 could make that much of a difference.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Interesting.I see what you getting at. I have not even tried the fish. I have played with a bunch of live photos.
Makes sense so . It would be cool if it detects when you look at the screen and start the animation while you are looking at the screen and stop when you look away.
I had fun with feature so far, I am also a big fan of Googles autoawesome motion.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The 2GB RAM upgrade really makes a difference. Tabs in Safari hardly ever refresh and one of the biggest offenders, the #MacHash app, hasn't had to do a complete refresh yet. Color me impressed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's an unusual choice they made with the live wallpapers, especially considering they work exactly as everyone expects on the Apple Watch. They animate for one repetition and land on the still image after that.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the behavior soon.

Submit feedback!

Reactions: Europa