What does your screen name mean?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've seen some pretty interesting user names here and I often wonder what they mean.

What does your screen name mean and why did you choose it?

I'll start. Europa is one of Jupiter's moons. I chose it because it reflects my interest in astronomy and because I think it's one of the most intriguing moons in our solar system. I first became interested in it when I saw the movie '2010' when I was a kid.

Go!

Reactions: Rafagon

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
iNinja - as some of you may know, this wasn't my first username - so I kind of came by it by default.

The "i" part is obviously due to me loving my iPhone and Apple related products. The ninja part came from my love of all things ninja! :)

It started with my obsession with a game called Shinobi - hopefully some of you will have played it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinobi_(arcade_game)

I love all the classics ninja movies and also some of the more gruesome ones (Revenge of the Ninja) and some of the downright brilliant ones (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ;) )

There we go, my reveal so to speak! :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've told this story before, but I got my user name when I was a member of a Motorola RAZR forum. I always had my RAZR sitting in pieces in front of me, and one evening the name Napoleon PhoneApart popped into my head. I asked the admin on that forum if I could change my name to Napoleon_PhoneApart, and he agreed to change it. The rest is, er, history, or whatever.

On a side note, 2010: The Year We Make Contact was a very good film. Roy Scheider and Helen Mirren were great in it.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I chose my screen name because it fit pretty well in this forum, being dedicated to Apple products. The Apple was pretty important to one of my favorite historical figures, Sir Isaac Newton. His observations of the Apple falling from a tree led him to formulate a theory of gravity. In 1687 he published his most famous book, Principia, while he was a mathematics professor at Trinity College in Cambridge. He invented the reflecting telescope before that in 1668. Qui genus humanum ingenio superavit.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Mine is kinda obvious :) If Apple makes a product, I have it. Ever since moving over to my first Mac about six years ago, I have been a dedicated Apple user. I just love every product that Apple makes and always look forward to their latest and greatest device(s) such as my new iPad :)

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
My user name is a play on, and pronounced like, the second syllable of the word psychedelic. I mention the pronunciation because folks I've "met" on Xbox live want to pronounce it like "Cadillac." I originally came up with it years ago when I signed up on an MSN gaming site and now it's my user name whenever I can use it. I chose it because of my love of things psychedelic, especially art and music.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I decided to stick with my real name. Yes, Hawk is short for Hawkins, which is my middle name, and the name I go by.
To make a simple explanation longer and more complicated, my first name is Thomas. So is my father's, Mother's father, her brother, and his son. 5 Thomas, Tom or Tommys in the immediate family. My parents came up with the brilliant idea of calling me Todd instead. Yes, I don't know where that came from either, but it's what I was known by till 94 or so. At that time I had 6 friends named Todd. Tired of being one of the crowd, I started going by Hawkins when I started a new job with Quik Trip (like AM/PM) and my friends and coworkers shortened it to Hawk within a week. It's been like that ever since.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Well, I decided to stick with my real name. Yes, Hawk is short for Hawkins, which is my middle name, and the name I go by.
To make a simple explanation longer and more complicated, my first name is Thomas. So is my father's, Mother's father, her brother, and his son. 5 Thomas, Tom or Tommys in the immediate family. My parents came up with the brilliant idea of calling me Todd instead. Yes, I don't know where that came from either, but it's what I was known by till 94 or so. At that time I had 6 friends named Todd. Tired of being one of the crowd, I started going by Hawkins when I started a new job with Quik Trip (like AM/PM) and my friends and coworkers shortened it to Hawk within a week. It's been like that ever since.
So let me get this right.... Your name is Thomas but you were known as Todd - but then changed it to your middle name which is Hawkins, but then it was shortened to... wait, have I missed one out? ;) J/k

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You basically got it correct. Thomas Hawkins Pettengill Jr/II (my parents have my birth certificate listed as the second, but all other documents say jr.)
From that it went to Todd Pettengill, and then to Hawkins Pettengill and then to Hawk. Still have to use the whole dang thing on legal forms and such, but I use Hawk for just about everything else.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Only when hanging with Spencer for hire. Otherwise he was commanding Deep Space 9.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Just beware Hawk. With that changing avatar you may get yourself a new nemesis. (and an understanding of why people here might start calling you Skeletor.........giving you your 26th name change)

Last edited by a moderator: