What is the best password manager?

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
Received an email yesterday indicating that Lastpass now has a Safari bookmarklet in iOS 8. No more switching apps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I have both LastPass and 1Password installed on my iPhone. I've got some questions about 1Password. Is there a desktop version available? Are there any pros/cons to using 1Password over LastPass? I've been a LastPass user for about 6 months and was thinking of making a switch to 1Password.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I have both LastPass and 1Password installed on my iPhone. I've got some questions about 1Password. Is there a desktop version available? Are there any pros/cons to using 1Password over LastPass? I've been a LastPass user for about 6 months and was thinking of making a switch to 1Password.
Yes, they make desktop versions for iOS and windows. My 5S & iPad2 versions sync via Dropbox with the OS X version on my MBP.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Do you have to use Dropbox with OS X?
Sorry, I just realized that I misread your question. I happen to also use Dropbox on all my systems. Here's the link to Agile regarding syncing ...

https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Features/Sync/

Additional info regarding syncing your Mac:
- a Quote from Agilebits' site

If you have already upgraded your iOS device, one option is to simply go without syncing for a few weeks. Leave iCloud enabled on all devices. You can continue using 1Password on your devices as you would normally, and, when you update your Mac, your devices will once again resume syncing automatically.

Alternatively, you can choose to switch to a different sync method (Dropbox or Wi-Fi). We have more information about how to do that at the bottom of this FAQ. Read on—and thanks for being patient with us during this big transition!"

Last edited:

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I was using 1Password for my Mac and iPhone and it does a good job but I'm not in a position to buy it. Are there any password managers that are just as good as LastPass, 1Password, and Dashlane? If there is an iOS version as well, even better. I read through a few threads and the top picks seem to be the three mentioned above and Roboform.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I was using 1Password for my Mac and iPhone and it does a good job but I'm not in a position to buy it. Are there any password managers that are just as good as LastPass, 1Password, and Dashlane? If there is an iOS version as well, even better. I read through a few threads and the top picks seem to be the three mentioned above and Roboform.
Dashlane is free. You only pay if you sync passwords between devices. So my understanding is that you could use it for your desktop, without any cost.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
with roboform your first 10 passwords saved are free. it's only when you go over 10 that you have to pay.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i think lastpass is free. except for syncing with your phone. so from cpu to cpu it should be free.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
don't know cause i have not really used the others very much just tinker with them from time to time. i have been using roboform for manys years now. so i know the ins and outs of it. for me no reason to leave. i just pay every year around this time. which i will say can be a good time to buy. alot of the subscription services i pay for. i usually try to re-up around this time cause many offer great discounts. usually around dec-jan

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Anyone used Keepass or Msecure? I'm trying to pick between Dashlane, Lastpass, Keepass, or Msecure. Which password manager do you use and what do you like? The option to sync is a nice touch but if I can just access my passwords on multiple devices, that's all I need. Several of the password managers require a subscription or annual charge to sync... Msecure uses a third-party site like Dropbox. I believe the rest are stored on their servers. What is your view?

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Password manager apps. I just priced 1Password, $69.99 and eWallet, $9.99 at the App store. They both have a significant number of reviews. I can't seeing paying $60 more for 1Password. Is there a significant difference in the 2? Any comments would be appreciated.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i would 1pass is a bit better but i think ewallet is more user friendly. i personally use roboform. and i don't think both 1pass and ewallet have a password generator roboform does and there price is only 10.00 then it's 19.99 every year after that. so it's right in the middle of both 1pass and E. the price is for the "roboform everwhere" pkg which lets you sync all your device across any platform so if you have alot of decvices to sync then roboform is a fair price for what it does, i use roboform to sync all my devices and i have alot of them homepc, 2 laptops, work pc, and 2 smartphones.

here this link of features
http://www.roboform.com/features

Reactions: glsda

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Password manager apps. I just priced 1Password, $69.99 and eWallet, $9.99 at the App store. They both have a significant number of reviews. I can't seeing paying $60 more for 1Password. Is there a significant difference in the 2? Any comments would be appreciated.
I can’t see paying anything for a password manager.

I use a spreadsheet to store my passwords. This has the added benefit that you can add additional columns as needed, such as for your security question(s), such as “What is the name of the last fruit you ate during your vacation to جمهورية العراق?” I don’t think password managers can do that (but I might be wrong, since I don’t use any of them).

Additionally, I use the built-in password managers that most modern browsers have. Many (or all) sync your passwords with their mobile counterparts, which is fantastic.