What is the "other" shown in the iPhone capacity bar?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
"Apps" and "Other" share space and sometimes even swap space from one sync to another. How many apps do you have installed?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Other also includes stuff like album art, email and attachments, etc...pretty much anything that doesn't fall easily into the audio, apps, movies etc... categories. 241MB isn't too bad, I've got atleast that much, maybe a little more.

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Could other also be the firmwire or do they already have a separate space reserved. It says my phone is 7.5 gigs.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
In that bottom bar which shows the memory left/used in iTunes it has 'Music', 'Apps', 'Photos', 'Free' and 'Other'. Whats 'Other'?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Most of the file size in the "other" section is from the iPhone OS, but it also contains the iPhone settings, email messages, SMS messages, notes, contacts, calendar events, recent calls, favorites, and a browser cache.

numanoid43

Nov 15, 2010
Hi,
When i connect my iPhone 3gs to iTunes, then click on the iPhone logo on the left hand side,
Down where it reads capacity it reads OTHER along with audio apps and photo's etc.
I would like to know what is other? As it has 3.5GB in it and i cant find out what it is or how to delete it.
Can anyone Help?
Thanks
Numaoid44

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Hi,
When i connect my iPhone 3gs to iTunes, then click on the iPhone logo on the left hand side,
Down where it reads capacity it reads OTHER along with audio apps and photo's etc.
I would like to know what is other? As it has 3.5GB in it and i cant find out what it is or how to delete it.
Can anyone Help?
Thanks
Numaoid44
I believe that is storage of data via apps. Such as video, image, or document apps. Anything you might have installed that let's you save only to the app itself will show up as Other.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
ok so how do i find out what apps have 3.5GB in them? and do i have to delete the apps?
Thanks
I don't know of any way to determine the data use of a specific app without jailbreaking. Generally the large ones will be video or photo apps that store anything within the app and not the iPhone's native photo/video location. Document apps don't really take up that much space unless you're storing lots of large PDF files for any reason.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't think it does include App data except for stock apps (messages, safari, address book, etc.). Your "other" can also get abnormally large if there are errors during syncing - like if you disconnect your iPhone while iTunes is loading a large file, the partial file will then become part of "other". As far as i know, the only way to correct this is restoring.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I don't think it does include App data except for stock apps (messages, safari, address book, etc.). Your "other" can also get abnormally large if there are errors during syncing - like if you disconnect your iPhone while iTunes is loading a large file, the partial file will then become part of "other". As far as i know, the only way to correct this is restoring.
I didn't know about the syncing errors. Are these left as log files or corrupt files that just get replaced by the OS?

I know if I use a video storage app, anything I drop in there will show up as Other in iTunes. Once I remove the videos, the Other indicator drops back down.

numanoid43

Nov 15, 2010
i don't have any videos or pdfs so i'll try a restore? but if i back up will i back up the other files|? As well as everything else?
i'll give it a go.
Thanks again

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
i don't have any videos or pdfs so i'll try a restore? but if i back up will i back up the other files|? As well as everything else?
i'll give it a go.
Thanks again
A restore should work fine, only backs up settings and app data... all corrupt files should get purged. I'm trying to find where I read this but I'm fairly certain Other = app cache and storage.

I'm also seeing that 300-800mb should be normal. Searching the Apple Support forums, I'm finding both corrupt data and cache and local storage not associated with iTunes as the cause. So if you don't purposely save anything large without using iTunes (videos/photos/etc) then acosmichippo is right, you probably have some corrupt files on there that need purged via a restore. ;)

numanoid43

Nov 15, 2010
Restored my iPhone and it cleared the OTHER FILE thanks.
I found out what it was it was the oplayer when I watched a movie on the iPhone and then deleted it the movie was still on the iPhone some where. So now I have to find out how to delete out of oplayer.
Thanks again.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Restored my iPhone and it cleared the OTHER FILE thanks.
I found out what it was it was the oplayer when I watched a movie on the iPhone and then deleted it the movie was still on the iPhone some where. So now I have to find out how to delete out of oplayer.
Thanks again.
Look for a setting or feature that "clears cache" in that app. Not all have the option but if it does that should clear it up in the future.