What is the "other" shown in the iPhone capacity bar?

Caliphone

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Bakersfield
I just went through this and found a program called "diskaid". Hope it's ok to say that out loud... It has a 14 day free trial, then 10 bucks. It lets you open files from your pc, without jailbreaking. My "other" had about 1 1/2 gig, labeled "album art". It wasn't really album art, I read that it may happen when an update is interrupted by a phone call. The "other" turns into kind of a junk drawer. I moved the files to my desktop (just in case I had to put them back) and gained over a gig without losing any function.

LhavBerryXo

Jul 1, 2010
I need help for my iPhone 3Gs. It's only 8GB memory. Before I had 7,1GB available. They said it'd take 500mb for the firmware and whatever. Then I rejailbroke my iPhone no it's on 4.2.1. And I only have 6,90GB available! I'm so stressed out I have 2GB songs and then 2GB applications and everything.

My questions are:
1. How do I free my memory? I need my 500mb back.
2. If I want to reset all settings and empty everything, how can I restore JUST the text message or just the contacts? I don't need anything else if they're just going to stuff my memory.
3. What does OTHER contain? My other contains like 1GB! Ugh this is stressing me out.

Please help me I've tried to remove many songs and pictures I just need some help with my iPhone :( I don't want to restart and rejailbreak anything because it's going to waste my time. But if I have to, then I guess I will do it :(

ReeseyCup79

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
Greenback, TN
That would be my guess as well. The addition of Cydia. If space is worth more then the jailbreak then you may need to switch back. But u should have plenty of room if that is all u have.

Thomas_2303

Jan 5, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'd like to know how I can see what is in my 'other' category in iTunes. This is 4,3 GB and I'd like to erase some GB from that. I already checked: it can't be apps, my agenda items only sync the past two weeks and I don't have that many agenda items, it can't be email either, ... Anyone an idea of what else it could be that is taking so much space on my iPhone? (running iOS 5.1.1)

Thanks,

Thomas

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Thanks for the tip, but sadly it didn't work for me :(
https://discussions.apple.com/message/18474968#18474968

This came from that discussion.

"A simple search would have revealed the resolution and it has nothing to do with jailbreaking.
"Other" growing is normal, but it should only really be around 300mb to 1GB depending on the apps and what data they store. Anything larger than that may indicate corruption.
Start by restoring from backup, if it does not shrink "Other" restore as new."

Reactions: snowtrooper1966

jonharnew

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
I have a 32 gig iPhone 4 with no storage left but it is showing over 5 gig which it refers to as OTHER what is this and how do you get rid of it. All the other storage ie videos music and apps appear to be correct with what I know is on the phone I've checked all the apps and videos and they all appear to contain exactly what they should and take up THe amount of space I would expect.
Any help will be appreciated

John

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I think it's what iOS uses,it's like my iPad 64gb it never had 64gb it was like 59gb cos of what the iOS needs I think,this may be why.

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

jonharnew

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
Yes but 5 gig seems a bit much plus it has only really appeared in the past couple of months and my other iPhone3 and iPad show a negligible amount of other.
John

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
Not sure then,I've still got memory left so not seen this before...google it always worth a try!

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

riffdex

Bronze
Feb 19, 2011
Other includes settings, email messages, SMS messages, Safari cache/history/cookies, calendar events, contact information, phone favorites, recent calls, Notes, etc. However 5GB is definitely too much. I have heard of people having issues where media is improperly marked by iTunes (ie a Video gets transferred to the ipad and is marked as being Other). Resync might be able to fix this.

larryo108

Bronze
Dec 22, 2009
I have had this happen to me a couple of times. Both times it was because I was jailbroken and one of the Cydia apps went haywire. I am not complaining because I accept as part of the risk of jailbreaking. Unfortunately, both times I had to do a complete restore. In both cases I set the phone up as a new phone because I did not want to restore the offending app or setting from the backup. I tried about a hundred things before I restored the phone each time, but ultimately the only thing that fixed the problem was a restore.

AZIANAPPLE

Bronze
Jun 6, 2012
I have a 32 gig iPhone 4 with no storage left but it is showing over 5 gig which it refers to as OTHER what is this and how do you get rid of it. All the other storage ie videos music and apps appear to be correct with what I know is on the phone I've checked all the apps and videos and they all appear to contain exactly what they should and take up THe amount of space I would expect.
Any help will be appreciated

John
Is your iPhone 4 jailbroken?

jonharnew

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
No but I have sorted it I installed DiskAid and fond every file I had ever deleted from the app HT Recoder+ I deleted them using DiskAid and recovered the lost space.

ericsinsideout

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
usually, the "other" is files that didn't fully sync to your phone or as you found misc data stored from various apps. If you're not Jailbroken, you can usually restore it and re-sync your files and apps (leaving out the apps that take up a bunch of extra space) and you should be fine