What is your occupation?

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
I did NOT know this! That is awesome. Do you have the Bar exam scheduled?
In the province I live in (Alberta) we don't have a Bar exam. We have something called CPLED, which is basically modules done over 6 months of your articling year. I finished that in April and now it's just a matter of finishing out a full year. My Bar call is on October 7th :)

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
how much different is canada law to us law?
It's very different. While it's based on the same principles, it's entirely different case law and legislation, which obviously makes a huge difference in legal decisions. The US is a lot more litigious. If judges in Canada see frivolous law suits, they throw them out much more often, and punish the Plaintiff by ordering costs. Our criminal justice system is very different too, although it is similar to the US in process.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
While I agree that they have a better healthcare system up there, it is far from perfect. Sicko was VERY biased against American Healthcare. And for what he showed of how we Americans treat some of our sick and poor, rightly so, but not all our healthcare sucks balls. Some of it is very good. The problem in America is that because we are a capitalist society, our healthcare is based on earnings, not on care. Otherwise Hospitals wouldn't have a board of directors. Plus if you were to see a bill for someone paying out of pocket and someone receiving the exact same care and on an insurance plan, you would see that doctors and hospitals charge over 3 times the actual cost of coverage.

$75 for 1 tylenol.... They can smooch my booty.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
It's very different. While it's based on the same principles, it's entirely different case law and legislation, which obviously makes a huge difference in legal decisions. The US is a lot more litigious. If judges in Canada see frivolous law suits, they throw them out much more often, and punish the Plaintiff by ordering costs. Our criminal justice system is very different too, although it is similar to the US in process.
sounds like i should move to good ole canada then :D

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Michael Moore might be good at pointing out problems in his own Myopic way, but President? *SMACK* think again. He has absolutely no knowledge of how to run a government. In fact, I believe we would be 10times worse off than we are now. But I'm not talking politics, I'm just saying MM for President is a super bad idea.

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
While I agree that they have a better healthcare system up there, it is far from perfect. Sicko was VERY biased against American Healthcare. And for what he showed of how we Americans treat some of our sick and poor, rightly so, but not all our healthcare sucks balls. Some of it is very good. The problem in America is that because we are a capitalist society, our healthcare is based on earnings, not on care. Otherwise Hospitals wouldn't have a board of directors. Plus if you were to see a bill for someone paying out of pocket and someone receiving the exact same care and on an insurance plan, you would see that doctors and hospitals charge over 3 times the actual cost of coverage.

$75 for 1 tylenol.... They can smooch my booty.
Good points...ya have to admit though, that part where the guy had to choose which finger to have sewn back on because he couldn't afford both was somewhat disturbing. What happened to the Hippocratic oath? All about the money i guess.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Capitalism is slowly starting to eat this country apart. Actually, let me rephrase that. The over abundance of GREED from capitalism is slowly tearing this country apart. Big Corps get bigger and the little guys cannot compete. Prices go up, wages go down, taxes are somewhere in the stratosphere...
Yeah, medicine in this country is a bit screwed up. Right now I have no job, and no healthcare. If I have a serious injury or heath problem, I'm screwed, and if it's really serious, like finding out I have cancer, I'll be dead 2 years later because I cannot afford the healthcare. But if I could afford the healthcare, then I still have a 70/30 shot of living, because at some point the insurance company is going to cut me off saying it's not worth continuing my treatments.

Ok, gotta get off this box before I go on a real rant.

My current profession is Job seeker. Apparently I am not very good at it either.

Reactions: Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
What do you mean the US has a litigious society Ginny? You don't think I deserve $3 million for pain and suffering for a chipped tooth from eating chunky peanut butter? 

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Capitalism is slowly starting to eat this country apart. Actually, let me rephrase that. The over abundance of GREED from capitalism is slowly tearing this country apart. Big Corps get bigger and the little guys cannot compete. Prices go up, wages go down, taxes are somewhere in the stratosphere...
Yeah, medicine in this country is a bit screwed up. Right now I have no job, and no healthcare. If I have a serious injury or heath problem, I'm screwed, and if it's really serious, like finding out I have cancer, I'll be dead 2 years later because I cannot afford the healthcare. But if I could afford the healthcare, then I still have a 70/30 shot of living, because at some point the insurance company is going to cut me off saying it's not worth continuing my treatments.

Ok, gotta get off this box before I go on a real rant.

My current profession is Job seeker. Apparently I am not very good at it either.
I love that documentary. Have you seen the one with the NRA? The president of the NRA doesn't even use his gone. He just has one because of the first amendment. What a *********!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's the 2nd amendment, and it doesn't matter if he owns one or not. He believes in our right to have them and he fights to maintain that freedom. I own and carry a concealed weapon. A H&K P30 .40S&W. I am also a NRA member because they fight capital hill for my rights to continue to carry my weapon or even own it.
I don't expect that I will ever have to actually use it to defend myself or my loved ones, but I like having the option and I enjoy shooting at the range.
I believe every citizen has the right to own and CARRY a handgun. I promote it. Even if having one is not for you, I will stand up for your right to choose. Just don't take away my right to own and carry.
There was a guy who just went on a rampage this weekend (Today, I believe) and shot 8 people. 7 died. The guy was stopped by a cop and a retired cop that still carries-but is now a citizen. Had they gotten there sooner, or if one of the victims was armed, it might have been a much smaller loss of life. It's tragic that anyone died, but it could have been a lot less if there were more responsible handgun owners.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
It's the 2nd amendment, and it doesn't matter if he owns one or not. He believes in our right to have them and he fights to maintain that freedom. I own and carry a concealed weapon. A H&K P30 .40S&W. I am also a NRA member because they fight capital hill for my rights to continue to carry my weapon or even own it.
I don't expect that I will ever have to actually use it to defend myself or my loved ones, but I like having the option and I enjoy shooting at the range.
I believe every citizen has the right to own and CARRY a handgun. I promote it. Even if having one is not for you, I will stand up for your right to choose. Just don't take away my right to own and carry.
There was a guy who just went on a rampage this weekend (Today, I believe) and shot 8 people. 7 died. The guy was stopped by a cop and a retired cop that still carries-but is now a citizen. Had they gotten there sooner, or if one of the victims was armed, it might have been a much smaller loss of life. It's tragic that anyone died, but it could have been a lot less if there were more responsible handgun owners.
oh no, i'm all for it, for hunting for example. course that goes with my strong belief in life. i would never want to take away your right, but if you fight so hard, then doesn't that mean you should also use it? if carrying one, but not using it is there, then wouldn't you feel the same way if you didn't? it just doesn't make sense to me. it's like having a computer, but never turning it on. why do you have the computer then? i also do believe that guns don't kill people, but i do view it as a tool to do so. people don't really need guns to kill people, they can do other things as well, but give one to someone with a short temper, then yeah, that's not a good idea. i don't know the whole procedure, but i do know that they do ask about psychological stability, but don't people lie? it's good to stand up for what you agree is right, but somethings just don't seem very rational to me. i don't mean to offend in any way, i just want to raise the question that if carrying one, but not ever using it for good makes you feel good, then wouldn't you feel the same way without one?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm all for psych evals to own a handgun. Here in Georgia for my concealed carry permit, all I had to do is get fingerprinted, complete a detailed form, and they do the rest. Based on my birth certificate, aliases, etc. If you lie, you get caught. They spend over 6 weeks researching you and your background. But they don't give a psych exam, and I think they should. There is no permit to buy- unless you do it at a gun shop, and then it's a 10 day wait to get it. But if you go to a gun show, you can walk out the door without filing a single piece of paper. (that needs to be changed in my personal opinion.) I bought mine online and had it shipped to the shop down the street. I already had my permit, so no wait, but I did have to fill out the transfer and registration paperwork. I don't care if Uncle Sam knows I own a gun. I am responsible with hit.
While it's nice that the state handles their own residence, I actually think there should be a national permit for concealed carry. If you can qualify for a national concealed carry permit, then you should be able to carry anywhere. Unfortunately, that is very unlikely to happen.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I'm all for psych evals to own a handgun. Here in Georgia for my concealed carry permit, all I had to do is get fingerprinted, complete a detailed form, and they do the rest. Based on my birth certificate, aliases, etc. If you lie, you get caught. They spend over 6 weeks researching you and your background. But they don't give a psych exam, and I think they should. There is no permit to buy- unless you do it at a gun shop, and then it's a 10 day wait to get it. But if you go to a gun show, you can walk out the door without filing a single piece of paper. (that needs to be changed in my personal opinion.) I bought mine online and had it shipped to the shop down the street. I already had my permit, so no wait, but I did have to fill out the transfer and registration paperwork. I don't care if Uncle Sam knows I own a gun. I am responsible with hit.
While it's nice that the state handles their own residence, I actually think there should be a national permit for concealed carry. If you can qualify for a national concealed carry permit, then you should be able to carry anywhere. Unfortunately, that is very unlikely to happen.
well, not ANYWHERE, but i get your point.