Who wants to quit Apple?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Someone said Apple doesn't care if one person leaves.

Well, they better care! See RIM.

I've contemplated leaving as we'll. but, I'm just too invested in Apple to go. I just NEED my phone to work. Apple has released IOS 6 with a rash of problems. I completely expected a new maps out already. I'm disgusted they haven't yet! This is Apple. It's supposed to work! They have slipped up big time this time and it has caused many to leave.

I'm disappointed completely. I expect many fixes to be coming ASAP!
Did you compare Apple to RIM. a lot more users for Apple.

Leave Apple. See if they call you to come back. That's how I know they don't are about you as a customer. Again, new customers born everyday. New ten year olds getting iPods for their bdays every day.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
I've been with Android for the better part of a year and a half now. The iPhone 5 has done the exact opposite for me. It has acutally brought me back to Apple and iOS. I've had my Galaxy S3 for a couple months now and I really do like it but iOS6 and the i5 have been a breath of fresh air. Despite the amount of horsepower the GS3 packs it is still laggy at times, battery life at least in my experience is subpar, and unless running stock Android the user experience isn't all that great. I hate the OEM versions of Android (Touchwiz, Sense, etc.). Vanilla Android like what is on the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 is on par with and perhaps better than iOS in my opinion but the hardware just isn't there on the Galaxy Nexus. I do love my Nexus 7 however and prefer it to my iPad. That said there are many things that I can do with my Galaxy S3 that I cant with the iPhone 5. I'd recommend trying something else if you aren't happy and go with whatever strikes the perfect balance for you. Don't think you can go wrong either way.
Aggieman,

What are the biggest things that you can do with the S3 that you can not with the iPhone?

~S

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If you're having trouble with your iPhone after an iOS 6 upgrade, the standard genius bar response would be to perform a full restore and start it as a new device. I know that isn't convenient, but it is often the best way to solve random software glitches. It is a whole computer in there, after all, and it's running a whole operating system that is just as complex as Mac OS X under the hood. I can't blame it for needing a refresh every now and then. Apple can't test for every scenario when they make an iOS update, they can try a lot of things and hope for the best.

That said, my iPhone 4S has had virtually no problems on iOS 6. My screen stays lit sometimes if I get a notification in the lock screen, but I chalk that one up to me running the betas which were a little buggy. I didn't restore as a new device on the final release, so I'm probably carrying around some buggage. My battery life is the same as it was before (about 5-10 hours depending on the kind of usage).

The thing that got me hooked into iPhone in the first place was that they focused on the right things from the very start, things that are important to me as a geek.
  • A very well thought out user interface, and strong interface guidelines that make the whole system very intuitive. With very few exceptions, never locks up or stutters, always responds immediately to your touch (even if it has to take a few seconds to load after responding).
  • Robust operating system. Aside from my tendency to break everything I use, it's really good. I got used to rebooting my computer on a daily basis, tweaking the swap file, defragging the hard drive, reinstalling Windows every couple of months because something broke down, etc. When I got an iPhone, that all went away. I still tend to wipe it clean a couple times a year, but that's more from my obsessive-compulsive disorder than a failing of iOS.
  • Does fewer things, but does them well. I don't want 1,000 sloppy, half-baked features that kinda almost work but not really. I would rather have 10 features that work great, with the right amount of finesse.
Recently, they've started doing things with which I don't agree (skeuomorphism=bleck!), but for the most part, those three things still ring true to me 5 years later.

I have an Android phone. It's not a very good one anymore, but when it launched, it was the talk of the town. The Motorola Atrix. One of the things you need to watch out for is buying one of these customized android-like phones. They claim to run Android, but they customize it so much with bloatware that they are perpetually out of date and not a good representation of the best that Android has to offer. The Atrix launched with an already out of date OS, Froyo 2.2, and took several months before it got upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3. Earlier this year, Motorola promised Ice Cream Sandwhich 4.0 upgrades, then later promised Jelly Bean 4.1 upgrades. Just a few days ago they announced they were kidding and that the Atrix would stay on 2.3.

So, if you're fine with potentially never receiving an updated OS for your phone, then there are many Android options out there. Even the Nexus devices are iffy with that - the Verizon Galaxy Nexus only just last month got 4.1, months after it was announced for the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus. There are custom ROMs for just about every Android phone out there that bring it up to date, but they often come with caveats like no hardware acceleration, some special hardware not functioning, etc. because the hardware manufacturers don't always want to open source the drivers.

Contrast that with Apple, who just pushed iOS 6 out at the same time to 3 years' worth of phones. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, iOS 4 was pushed out to the 3G a couple years ago, which didn't have enough horsepower to run it. They seem to have learned that lesson. The 3GS does have enough horsepower, and I know people who are very happy with the iOS 6 upgrade on theirs.

There are many things I like about both, but I still prefer my iPhone. That's the key word. I. Only you can know whether Android is right for you. It's natural to want to stray from the path when your stable platform has been shaken by an OS update. I would say give Apple support a chance to solve your problem, but be open to change, and try a top of the line Android phone for a while if you have the spare cash or a friend who will lend it to you. That's the only way you'll find out whether you can accept Android's pros and cons.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
If you're having trouble with your iPhone after an iOS 6 upgrade, the standard genius bar response would be to perform a full restore and start it as a new device. I know that isn't convenient, but it is often the best way to solve random software glitches. It is a whole computer in there, after all, and it's running a whole operating system that is just as complex as Mac OS X under the hood. I can't blame it for needing a refresh every now and then. Apple can't test for every scenario when they make an iOS update, they can try a lot of things and hope for the best.

That said, my iPhone 4S has had virtually no problems on iOS 6. My screen stays lit sometimes if I get a notification in the lock screen, but I chalk that one up to me running the betas which were a little buggy. I didn't restore as a new device on the final release, so I'm probably carrying around some buggage. My battery life is the same as it was before (about 5-10 hours depending on the kind of usage).

The thing that got me hooked into iPhone in the first place was that they focused on the right things from the very start, things that are important to me as a geek.
  • A very well thought out user interface, and strong interface guidelines that make the whole system very intuitive. With very few exceptions, never locks up or stutters, always responds immediately to your touch (even if it has to take a few seconds to load after responding).
  • Robust operating system. Aside from my tendency to break everything I use, it's really good. I got used to rebooting my computer on a daily basis, tweaking the swap file, defragging the hard drive, reinstalling Windows every couple of months because something broke down, etc. When I got an iPhone, that all went away. I still tend to wipe it clean a couple times a year, but that's more from my obsessive-compulsive disorder than a failing of iOS.
  • Does fewer things, but does them well. I don't want 1,000 sloppy, half-baked features that kinda almost work but not really. I would rather have 10 features that work great, with the right amount of finesse.
Recently, they've started doing things with which I don't agree (skeuomorphism=bleck!), but for the most part, those three things still ring true to me 5 years later.

I have an Android phone. It's not a very good one anymore, but when it launched, it was the talk of the town. The Motorola Atrix. One of the things you need to watch out for is buying one of these customized android-like phones. They claim to run Android, but they customize it so much with bloatware that they are perpetually out of date and not a good representation of the best that Android has to offer. The Atrix launched with an already out of date OS, Froyo 2.2, and took several months before it got upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3. Earlier this year, Motorola promised Ice Cream Sandwhich 4.0 upgrades, then later promised Jelly Bean 4.1 upgrades. Just a few days ago they announced they were kidding and that the Atrix would stay on 2.3.

So, if you're fine with potentially never receiving an updated OS for your phone, then there are many Android options out there. Even the Nexus devices are iffy with that - the Verizon Galaxy Nexus only just last month got 4.1, months after it was announced for the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus. There are custom ROMs for just about every Android phone out there that bring it up to date, but they often come with caveats like no hardware acceleration, some special hardware not functioning, etc. because the hardware manufacturers don't always want to open source the drivers.

Contrast that with Apple, who just pushed iOS 6 out at the same time to 3 years' worth of phones. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, iOS 4 was pushed out to the 3G a couple years ago, which didn't have enough horsepower to run it. They seem to have learned that lesson. The 3GS does have enough horsepower, and I know people who are very happy with the iOS 6 upgrade on theirs.

There are many things I like about both, but I still prefer my iPhone. That's the key word. I. Only you can know whether Android is right for you. It's natural to want to stray from the path when your stable platform has been shaken by an OS update. I would say give Apple support a chance to solve your problem, but be open to change, and try a top of the line Android phone for a while if you have the spare cash or a friend who will lend it to you. That's the only way you'll find out whether you can accept Android's pros and cons.
ti;dr (too informative; didn't read) :D :D :D

Reactions: fury

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
Someone said Apple doesn't care if one person leaves.

Well, they better care! See RIM.

I've contemplated leaving as we'll. but, I'm just too invested in Apple to go. I just NEED my phone to work. Apple has released IOS 6 with a rash of problems. I completely expected a new maps out already. I'm disgusted they haven't yet! This is Apple. It's supposed to work! They have slipped up big time this time and it has caused many to leave.

I'm disappointed completely. I expect many fixes to be coming ASAP!
I can't agree about maps, sure the flaws that are being broadcast around the world are true but they're also heavily exaggerated! Has it actually caused you a problem using the turn by turn or are you mad because it's not perfect? I've gotten around just fine so far without any errors. I certainly have used Apple's maps more than Googles iOS version, now that was just about useless for directions due to the lack of turn by turn! Sure Apples has more flaws but it's also more useful!

Johnlennon78

Bronze
Dec 25, 2011
My wife has an Samsung s3. Although the phone is powerful i don't find the prestige in it. I have 4s and absolutely love it. It really is a personal choice but I am completely in love won my iPhone. For one the voice recognition from Samsung suck big time. The voice is totally robotic. Find it hard to give command as well. On the other hand my wife is totally vowed to her phone... Hard to tell...

sonic1519

Jan 26, 2011
i do believe Apple released ios6 a little to soon. what with maps, which isn't all that bad. it will get better.
but bluetooth and wi-fi no excuses. the company is under great pressure to always top the next best thing.
i mean people started asking about ios ? before half the customers even had one yet. and trust me i'm not making excuses for Apple. but i will never by any Android. i'll go over to the dark side and try windows 8 first...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have no problems with the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on mine. (Well, no problems with Bluetooth that I didn't have before, which are Bluetooth problems, not Apple problems)

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
I have a friend with a Razor Max. It's got a great display. But sadly I would never leave Apple. I love my iPhone, and I think a tiny part of it loves me back.
the only part that the iPhone loves about you, is the green part $$$
i'd love you too if you gave me that much green:)

Reactions: Europa

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
the only part that the iPhone loves about you, is the green part $$$
i'd love you too if you gave me that much green:)
lol True.. It's only money though. Not like I can take it with me, although I could leave it for my dogs.

Reactions: rom x

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
I can't agree about maps, sure the flaws that are being broadcast around the world are true but they're also heavily exaggerated! Has it actually caused you a problem using the turn by turn or are you mad because it's not perfect? I've gotten around just fine so far without any errors. I certainly have used Apple's maps more than Googles iOS version, now that was just about useless for directions due to the lack of turn by turn! Sure Apples has more flaws but it's also more useful!
Heavily exaggerated? Kind of like the guy on the titanic saying its just a small hole!

Mad? No. Disappointed. I use maps several times per day for work. I've only found the map to be accurate once. Example yesterday? I searched for the address and it couldn't find it. Then it says "do you mean ..., Kitchener?" I pressed that. Lo and behold, found the right place! Problem is, Kitchener is 60 km from where it said it was.

I live in Ontario. Maybe US cities are better. But up here, colossal fail! It can't find even the most basic of addresses. If I lived in the boonies, I could forgive it. I don't.

Turn by turn? yes. Thought it was fantastic the first time. Until I get to my destination. And the people at the door turn me away. Turns out I was 35 km away from the correct address. First time I trusted it. Last time too.

Since then, I now use 3 different apps to get me going. I find I just use maps now as comedy relief. Just to see how far out it is. It's comical really.

I've adapted though.

IOS 6 has been a complete let down. Something we all expect from the others... Android etc. Apple can do much better. They're not perfect. But better than this. If I wanted all these problems, I would have went to the other side.

Kind of like cars. I expect my Mercedes to just work. It's not a hyped up dodge Neon or Chevy cavalier. There's a certain expectation when you pay for quality.

IOS 6 has given me problems with maps, wifi problems, calendar problems that truly don't make sense, poor battery life and an odd sporadic iMessage problem.

Overall, I'm disappointed. If I was mad, I would have left already.

Long winded I know. But for those that are saying maps is fine, maybe it is for light users in big places in the US. Not for me. Heavy user in Ontario.

To be honest, after the Apple apology, I truly expected an update to fix some of the problems. Remember when Toyota had the "safety" issue. They acted swiftly and surely. They apologized and provided a 100% correction and fix immediately. Since then, their market share has increased substantially.

In the comment about not caring for their customers; any company that does not pay attention to their customers and what they want and need is doomed to fail. Not necessarily short term, but over the long haul. That's why McDonald's sells salads and health conscious food. Customers demanded that.

Enough ranting from me.

Disappointed. Not giving up. I truly hope that Apple is listening and not just blowing smoke you know where.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I leave Apple and the iPhone every so often when a lustful Android device is released.. I always end up right back with the iPhone after a very short amount of time..

Pure Jelly Bean is pretty nice on the Nexus line but the manufacturers add overlay (TouchWiz, Sense, MotoBlur) and it flat out ruins the experience.. I had the Galaxy S3 for 2 weeks before it went back.. A powerful phone loaded with junk ware, touchwiz, and branding all over the front and back of the device just made it ugly! Add in the plastic made by Toys-R-Us feeling, the fact that most Androids are horrible with getting OS updates, and the fact that the resale value is a mere pennies on the dollar and you have something that could be nice that ends up as an also ran..

Right now there is nothing available or rumored that will make me try it.. Maybe the S3 was the final straw for me and I have learned my lesson..

Apple may have issues but they always fix them in a timely manner, they make a quality product, the OS gets frequent bug updates, when a new iOS is released you will get it, and there is no junkware, crapware, or carrier branding anywhere to be found..

To the OP if you think you have battery issues with the iPhone you will be horrified on Android.. Mad at Apple for not releasing bug fixes already? Be prepared to wait, wait, and wait some more on Android.. Really want that shiny new Google OS on your Android.. Maybe you will get it in 6-8 months after the Nexus line gets it.. And I really do mean maybe..

My .02

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Aggieman,

What are the biggest things that you can do with the S3 that you can not with the iPhone?

~S
There are several things. To name a few...

Download songs and video from any source to my device..Amazon mp3 which I purchase all my music from. Can download any type of file to my device from Dropbox whereas on the iPhone I'm limited to pictures. This helps me access any type of file across all of my devices. Load apps from sources other than iTunes. Access to a true file manager. microSD. NFC sharing (which is really awesome on Jelly Bean). Dial by name on the phone dialer (still can't believe this hasn't been implemented). Ability to use a 3rd party keyboard. I love swiftkey on Android. I like it a lot more than the iOS keyboard.

However even with all of that I've found myself enjoying my iPhone 5. It's a much more fluid, cohesive experience. I've experienced zero lag and battery life has been phenomenal. I sold my GS3 yesterday.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
There are several things. To name a few...

Download songs and video from any source to my device..Amazon mp3 which I purchase all my music from. Can download any type of file to my device from Dropbox whereas on the iPhone I'm limited to pictures. This helps me access any type of file across all of my devices. Load apps from sources other than iTunes. Access to a true file manager. microSD. NFC sharing (which is really awesome on Jelly Bean). Dial by name on the phone dialer (still can't believe this hasn't been implemented). Ability to use a 3rd party keyboard. I love swiftkey on Android. I like it a lot more than the iOS keyboard.

However even with all of that I've found myself enjoying my iPhone 5. It's a much more fluid, cohesive experience. I've experienced zero lag and battery life has been phenomenal. I sold my GS3 yesterday.
Thanks for the list. The ability to load files straight on the phone (music, movies, ringtones, etc) has been one of the big reasons that I use my HOX more and more. That and the ability to theme the phone without jailbreaking (or rooting) has been great. I love iOS and Apple, I just wish they would open the OS up a bit more for users to apply themes without having to jailbreak.

~S

Reactions: aggieman

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I just think this thread is ridiculous. If you don't like your phone, get another one. But for that one individual that said they loathe Apple and feel dirty for owning an iPhone? Seriously? And why exactly has Apple earned your disgust? Because they are a businesss that has been making smart moves recently and earning a lot of money? How dare they! I just think that's an ignorant thing to say. If you like their product then what other reason would you need to like the manufacturer? Any reason you can come up with to dislike Apple would no doubt apply to countless other companies with far worse products to offer. And if your problem is with them suing Samsung, they had every right obviously. They won. But aside from that, they get sued from all angles. It was about time they went on the offensive! Ok off my soap box. Just saying, I've tried other phones... Apple is the only one I care about.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Lol just saw that I was moaning about Aggie. :p
I won't take this thread into that discussion. Some of the things Apple is suing for are ridiculous but that's another thread and I was by no means trolling with my comment. :) I was making that statement to emphasize that despite my personal opinions (of which we all have different ones) about Apple as a company that I'm still keepin the iPhone 5 and sold my Galaxy S3. It really is that good in my opinion.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Well I didn't look at who wrote it at first. Didn't realize it was an old eip dinosaur. :p I guess you've been around long enough to form an opinion. Even if its a bad one. ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well I didn't look at who wrote it at first. Didn't realize it was an old eip dinosaur. :p I guess you've been around long enough to form an opinion. Even if its a bad one. ;)
I think Aggie's point is certainly not unique. I've had some less than great experiences with Apple, the company. There are no shortage of Apple products in my house and it hasn't influenced my purchase decisions, for the most part. I would say that at times I'll opt for Amazon for music or rentals. My 2 cents is really going to cut into their margins. Sell your stock now!

Last edited: