Why doesn't WiFi automatically shut off when u are out of range?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Your phone only looks for wifi (when you aren't already connected to wifi) when an application that uses (or could use) wifi is opened. It isn't a constant search for possible wifi ports.
If it bothers you that it constantly pops up asking if you want to join a network then turn that feature off as mentioned in above posts.

I feel for people that aren't constantly around available unlocked wifi all the time.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It does shutoff automatically!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
I think we're looking at two different definitions of "shutting off."

Yes, when you venture away from the range of the WiFi network you're currently using, WiFi will "shut off" (because it has no other choice), but the iPhone will continue seeking WiFi networks and offer them to you once it detects them.

However, the second definition of "shutting off Wi-Fi" is when you go to Settings > Wi-Fi and slide the slider next to "Wi-Fi" to OFF (this slider never goes from ON to OFF, or vice versa, of its own accord). This tells your iPhone two things:
  1. Yo, iPhone! If you're currently connected to a Wi-Fi network, stop using it and drop down to the best cellular network that you can find (3G*, Edge, or GPRS).
  2. One more thing, iPhone! Stop looking for available Wi-Fi networks (and asking me if I want to join them) until I set this slider back to ON. Pretend Wi-Fi doesn't exist. iPhone, don't waste even the slightest amount of time or battery power (however negligible the amount of power may be) looking for Wi-Fi.
*The iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 have a setting under Settings > General > Network named "Enable 3G". You may slide this slider to OFF to prevent your iPhone from using 3G. Why would you want to disable the speedier 3G and settle for Edge? Because 3G requires more battery power to achieve the faster data speeds and give you the higher-quality calls you get from 3G versus Edge.

The iPhone 4S lacks this setting--you can't force it to use Edge if the phone can find a 3G signal. However, this setting may come to the iPhone 4S with the release of iOS 5.1 (see this article).

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
I get the same battery usage with wifi both on and off, unless ofcourse I'm using wifi, then I get an extra hour of usage but that's a whole different story.
It's only annoying when you constantly get a wifi pop up everytime it discovers it near you.
So I lunch the wifi toggle and turn it off.
Read what you wrote very carefuly

Reactions: J-94

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Omg. I get the same battery usage if I have the wifi toggle on or off, leaving it on like others have mentioned before doesn't consume my battery or makes it drain any faster.
Wasn't that what we were talking about? Leaving wifi on or off?
Then I said I get better battery by using wifi.
What's to read again?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Read what you wrote very carefuly
I know, right? He wrote, "So I lunch the wifi toggle and turn it off."

does he Mean he turns off the wifi toggle during ¿Lunch? Or does he haVe the toggle for lunch? Please explain, Benny? :confused:

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Reactions: Bennyboy

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Use the toggles at this web site to turn it in and off.
http://brdrck.me/settings/

Like it was mentioned, it wouldn't turn back on automatically when you got back in range.
Are these safe and stable? I'm not JB. I just don't understand profiles.

And as to not hijack, I can tell no difference in battery life with or without WiFi enabled. I also agree that WiFi networks I do not want to join are annoying. That's why I'd like to learn more about the toggles.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
Omg. I get the same battery usage if I have the wifi toggle on or off, leaving it on like others have mentioned before doesn't consume my battery or makes it drain any faster.
Wasn't that what we were talking about? Leaving wifi on or off?
Then I said I get better battery by using wifi.
What's to read again?
I think you are wording this confusingly..you get better battery using wifi than what? Better than what?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I think you are wording this confusingly..you get better battery using wifi than what? Better than what?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "3G". Going back to Benny's 20MB app download, he's saying: You'd waste more battery downloading it over 3G than over WiFi. The 3G download takes much longer than the WiFi download. The downloading of information uses up battery, so the quicker you're done with it [the download of information], the more battery you will have saved.

Additionally, Benny and others stated that find that they are getting the same battery performance regardless of whether they have the WiFi slider (under Settings > Wi-Fi) in the ON or the OFF position all the time.

I (and this is just me) personally prefer to leave it in the OFF position when I'm away from a guaranteed WiFi signal to conserve battery, because this is what I've been taught. This is what many sources say. Here's one example: http://ipod.about.com/od/iPhone3g/tp/iphone-battery-life.htm (tip #5). I've never done a scientific test of my own to verify that keeping this toggle in the OFF position when away from a guaranteed WiFi signal does in fact conserve battery. I merely went with it. If real-world experience proves this tip unnecessary, as Benny and others are saying, then ignore this tip. It's entirely up to you!

So, what we're trying to say is that if you're at home and you have a guaranteed WiFi signal, then use WiFi instead of 3G to do your thing. You'll stream more videos, surf [the Internet] longer, download more app[clication]s from the App Store, etc.

And the WiFi toggle (still under Settings > Wi-Fi), when you're away from a guaranteed WiFi signal, can be left ON or OFF (see my explanation above [in this same post]).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Are these safe and stable? I'm not JB. I just don't understand profiles.

And as to not hijack, I can tell no difference in battery life with or without WiFi enabled. I also agree that WiFi networks I do not want to join are annoying. That's why I'd like to learn more about the toggles.
The toggles have been working just fine for a number of users here. Someone found a little back door, if you will, that lets safari open up some of the settings programs. Think of the toggles as a link to, let's say, the Wifi section of Setting / wifi area on your phone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "3G". Going back to Benny's 20MB app download, he's saying: You'd waste more battery downloading it over 3G than over WiFi. The 3G download takes much longer than the WiFi download. The downloading of information uses up battery, so the quicker you're done with it [the download of information], the more battery you will have saved.

Additionally, Benny and others stated that find that they are getting the same battery performance regardless of whether they have the WiFi slider (under Settings > Wi-Fi) in the ON or the OFF position all the time.
Although it is correct that downloading a file faster can save battery it is worth pointing out that wifi uses less power even if the download rate is the same as 3G in a given situation.

As far as people having the same battery performance with wifi left on all of the time as opposed to off when not actually connected I think it is more that the difference is negligible. Leaving the wifi radio on when it is not actively connected will definitely consume energy that must be supplied by the battery. It's just a matter of trading the small savings of turning it off for the convenience of leaving it on so it can auto-connect.

This has got me thinking about it though. In my case at home and in my office are where I use WiFi the most. Outside of that I almost always have to get past a captive portal to use wifi in other places where I might use wifi. Since I don't even like how the iPhone handles the captive portal situation I am going to now turn wifi off when out of my home and office. Then at least I can turn it on when I need it and that will trigger my memory that I need to login/agree before it will work. Oddly enough my iPad does match better with captive portals than my iPhones have ever done. (Captive portals are the systems that redirect your web browser to a page where you must login or agree to terms and conditions before being granted access to the actual Internet.)

Michael

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
There is another reason why doing your surfing and downloading over wifi uses less battery. Wifi is at most a few hundred feet away, so the phone doesn't have to send as high power a signal to communicate, compared to a 3G tower that could be miles away. And in general, the closer you are to the tower, the less power it takes, but it's still more than it takes to talk to a wifi router.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Then at least I can turn it on when I need it and that will trigger my memory that I need to login/agree before it will work.
In light of your post #10, this is a great example of coming up with a nice solution to the way the iPhone handles something in a way that is less than ideal for you!(y)(y)

Oddly enough my iPad does match better with captive portals than my iPhones have ever done.
How does the iPad handle it, if you don't mind my being nosey? I don't yet own an iPad.:(

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Slightly off topic... The days are numbered on the current Li-ion battery. This seems very promising. Perhaps this will make battery micromanagement a thing of the past.
By switching from standard batteries which use toxic chemicals to hydrogen, the by-products of the new technology would only be water and electrical energy.
Great. Now my iPhone will start sweating and activate its own liquid contact indicators.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
In light of your post #10, this is a great example of coming up with a nice solution to the way the iPhone handles something in a way that is less than ideal for you!(y)(y)
Thank you :).

What I would really like is to be able to do this with a geofence. So when I left my house, for example, wifi would shut off--then back on when I returned. If I did this at all of the places where I use WiFi I could leave it off and be a happy man.

Until I found out that having the GPS on 24/7 used more battery than wifi. :D

How does the iPad handle it, if you don't mind my being nosey? I don't yet own an iPad.:(
I hardly ever have to go into Safari to get past the captive portal on my iPad: it seems to always present a popup with the captured portal's agree/login page on it. I just tap agree or sign-in and the message goes away.

On my iPhone that doesn't always occur, or worse, if it does occur it doesn't work right and then kills the connection (e.g., can't see the "Agree" button). Sometimes I have to turn wifi on, run to Safari, and hopefully get to the portal page before it pops up on me (I can always get past it in Safari). Hope this made sense.

Michael