Why is Mobile Me $100 a year?

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
Can someone tell me what does Mobile Me differently from any email that It's $100.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Mobile me offers like a server to save your files to and also a genuine cell phone tracker for your iPhone so if it's lost or stolen you can track it from your computer and even wipe the iPhone clean from your computer or another idevice so you don't have to worry about anyone buying apps ir getting your personal info etc.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Its def expensive in my opinion but i find it comforting to know that i can track, lock, and wipe it if i lose my iPad or iPhone or its stolen.

ibrencent

Bronze
Oct 25, 2008
Palm Harbor, FL
I used up my free promo period of MobileMe and decided not to continue with the service. They gave me a contact form to send any opinions to them so I filled it out letting them know that I wouldn't mind paying for a cheaper "lite" version that would still allow me to sync contacts, calendars etc. etc. and also do the remote find/wipe feature. I wonder if they got more suggestions like this they would look into it more, the Apple rep that gave me the link said that they do read all of those forms.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
$100 a year is crazy! Thats what I pay a year to CAA road side assistance, and don't compare what you get from one to another! With CAA I get up to 5 services a year including 5 tows 300km each, free gas if I run out, battery charges.... Etc, etc. The list is huge!

When you compare the services each offer, for $100/year, you start to wonder if its really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
I love MM. Besides using it to sync between all my devices, I use it to host my website. Definitely worth the price for me. If you have a new Apple product you can get a $30.00 discount for the 1st year.. You can probably find a less expensive renewal at Amazon when you need it.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
$100 a year is crazy! Thats what I pay a year to CAA road side assistance, and don't compare what you get from one to another! With CAA I get up to 5 services a year including 5 tows 300km each, free gas if I run out, battery charges.... Etc, etc. The list is huge!

When you compare the services each offer, for $100/year, you start to wonder if its really worth it.
Seems that we would be better off comparing Apples (no pun intended) to Apples. If you pay $1.50 for a 12 oz. bottle of water, that is $4.00 a gallon. Gas is only $3.25. Why would you buy bottled water? Because you want to. Because you can. And apparently you believe it is a good value. Comparing MobileMe with CAA? I don't get that!

markbyrn

Aug 26, 2008
If you buy an iPhone or Mac, you get $30 off. So if you buy Apple's equipment on a semi-regular basis, you'll only pay $69 a year.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I love MM. Besides using it to sync between all my devices, I use it to host my website. Definitely worth the price for me. If you have a new Apple product you can get a $30.00 discount for the 1st year.. You can probably find a less expensive renewal at Amazon when you need it.
Agreed. It's worth $99 a year, in my opinion. I got the first year for $70.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
You can't compare what is essentially insurance to a service that can and is used daily by purchasers. If even half of its members used all those services it would be the end of CAA or without question the end of $100/year.

That said I do wish MM let us only buy the sync and find my iPhone functionality. I really don't need yet another email account nor idisk (let alone an email account that goes away if I don't keep paying for it).

Michael

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
I meant to say a year. Either/or it's still too much. It's always Been $99, before they added that iPhone tracker. If I pay that, I would like something unique, something that stands out from other email accounts. Technically speaking it should be free.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
You seem to be focused on email. That is not what MM is all about. Perhaps you should go to Apple.com/MobileMe. If it is more than you think it is worth, don't buy it.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Seems that we would be better off comparing Apples (no pun intended) to Apples. If you pay $1.50 for a 12 oz. bottle of water, that is $4.00 a gallon. Gas is only $3.25. Why would you buy bottled water? Because you want to. Because you can. And apparently you believe it is a good value. Comparing MobileMe with CAA? I don't get that!
All I'm trying to say is that it's way too much money for the services you are getting! I'm pretty sure Apple could supply the same services for $25 and still be making a big profit! But they figure that allot of people will actually find it reasonable and willing to purchase it! I'm willing to bet that allot of people with MM would even dish out $150 or even $200 a year for it because it's a form of insurance for their iPhones. To me it's just another way for Apple to get an extra $100 bucks from their customers for barely do anything...I wonder what's the profit margin for MM.

I know I'm going to get an earful from allot of people here, but oh well....

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
iDisk and syncing all of my computers email,contacts and more are worth it. It's only around $8 a month

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I know I'm going to get an earful from allot of people here, but oh well....
You shouldn't. All good observations! Its just that I got a Family Pack on eBay for $100 and split it with 4 others. Comes to $20 a year! Now that I could swallow!