Why is Mobile Me $100 a year?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
MobileMe in a nutshell: Synergy. the more Apple products you have, the more value it has for you.

And as stated, you can get it for way less than $100.

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
Hosting your website... Can you explain how you host your website using mobile me. I am a little new to hosting and mobile me but sure would like to know how this is done. Thanks

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Hosting your website... Can you explain how you host your website using mobile me. I am a little new to hosting and mobile me but sure would like to know how this is done. Thanks
Mobile Me gives you webspace. I host my website through MM as well. It's an online portfolio for teaching. It works really well with Macs, I'm not sure how it works with Windows Machines. I built my website on iWeb and then loaded it directly to MM. So easy to do. And I love the iDisk feature, especially as a teacher. I can get stuff that I put on the iDisk instead of having to remember a jump drive all the time. I pay $100 a year for it and $100 is a lot of money in my world, but I think it is well worth the money.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Folks, go to ebay and search for Mobile Me. I have yet to pay full price for Mobile me. People get sold on MM when getting their iPhone and then do not use it and sell them at a discount. I upgraded to the family pack so my wife and son can use it and that is $149 a year and I paid $91.

I only buy if they can send me the shrinkwrapped box. Not a code in an email. I want the unopenned box.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
For the people who do not use all it's features it is a ripoff. They need to change it.
It is a good service though, they need different plans though.

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
Misplace it once and you will be glad you have MobileMe - locate it or at worst wipe it and shut it down. I am and have been a big believer in MM, sometimes a love-hate relationship but it seems they are getting their act together. I am using the new Beta and like it a lot. I still use iCal and Apple Address book as backup. Search around because I have only paid $99.00 once, since then $70.00.

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
I will be getting a MacBook pro in sept and have an iPhone 3g. I've never really considered mm but i stumbled upon this thread and it looks interesting. Idk if I could justify the cost for other then it being another Apple product. I suppose I should try the one monthfree out.
As a college student what would benefit me the most from mm..?
( sorry bout the threadjack)

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I like the idisk feature. I have my idisk on each of my macs so I can sink them up and I can also access documents from the mm website from my idisk which helps at work. I also love the picture gallery and web space. The everything syncing is nice too.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I love MM. Like the previous poster said, the iDisk feature is awesome. Now time capsule has an update where you can access file from any computer from iDisk

Misie

Bronze
Jun 14, 2010
Louisiana
I also love my mm. I picked up my family plan on eBay for around 85.00. It covers 4 devices instead of just one. It's well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I've been using it for 3 yrs. Every renewal I pay a little over $50 on eBay for an unopened mobilme box. Mine renews October 2010 and I already input my renewal code from the box I just bought for $54. VERY WELL WORTH IT. I use all the features daily.

-mac.com email address
-iDisk (20gb online storage)
-up to five alias email addresses (good for temporary email to sort out junk etc)
- cloud syncing
-iphone tracking

There are many other features too. I also love the fact that my yojimbo (Mac software) syncs my iMac and MBP.

Definitely not for everyone but for me it's a great tool and worth the LESS than $5 a month I pay.

iblastoff

Bronze
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Canada
iblastoff.ca
I will be getting a MacBook pro in sept and have an iPhone 3g. I've never really considered mm but i stumbled upon this thread and it looks interesting. Idk if I could justify the cost for other then it being another Apple product. I suppose I should try the one monthfree out.
As a college student what would benefit me the most from mm..?
( sorry bout the threadjack)
Definitely not worth it. I don't know why people are pushing the web hosting thing as a feature when anyone can pay for cheap web hosting for way less than 100 a year.

For cloud syncing just use free Dropbox. for contact syncing just use google contacts. Everything MM offers you can get for free or much cheaper elsewhere. A couple of years ago it might have been worth it since cloud syncing wasn't as popular but now there are tons of free services. People who pay for it now are just wasting money.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Having everything under one umbrella is nice. I wouldn't call MM a waste of money. Paying $5 for coffee at Starbucks? Now THAT is a waste of money. I luv my MobileMe!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Definitely not worth it. I don't know why people are pushing the web hosting thing as a feature when anyone can pay for cheap web hosting for way less than 100 a year.

For cloud syncing just use free Dropbox. for contact syncing just use google contacts. Everything MM offers you can get for free or much cheaper elsewhere. A couple of years ago it might have been worth it since cloud syncing wasn't as popular but now there are tons of free services. People who pay for it now are just wasting money.
Where do you get Find my iPhone for free and does it work as well and have the same features? Do Google contacts now push?

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Find my iPhone is part of Mobile Me. Not free, but you get quite a bit for your money (especially if you buy it off ebay or amazon). Yes, you can get everything (i do not think you can get the find my iPhone and the remote wipe anywhere else) for free, but they are not as smooth and easy and some things run through the safari browser (ie google calendar).

I like it and use the gallery storage a lot. Makes it easy to upload my pictures from the iPhone and provides a remote storage for them.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
That actually looks interesting. Couldn't find out enough about it - even on the website - to totally figure out how, and if, it works.

iusoloman

Bronze
Jul 13, 2010
That actually looks interesting. Couldn't find out enough about it - even on the website - to totally figure out how, and if, it works.
Works on 3GS for sure. More accurate than mobile gps too. I've yet to try it on an iPhone 4 as I don't have one. As a previous post said,.. Everything else u can also find for free but if ppl are willing to pay for having all these features in one package then to each his own.