Why is Mobile Me $100 a year?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Two minutes on ebay and i got my latest renewal for $49.99, shipped.

I sometimes laugh reading MM threads when people spend the time and effort finding free alternatives, that are IMO not as good anyway, but don't consider that it does NOT have to be $100 per year for the real deal.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here is where I got mine for $49.99, shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOBILE-ME-SINGLE-USER-LATEST-VERSION-MC660Z-A_W0QQitemZ250693443659QQihZ015QQcategoryZ189QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Michael

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
I think it's worth it if you can get it at a discount, and plan on using all the features. I think too many people buy this product, and don't use it to its fullest. I'm one of those people, as the only think I use it for is the email. I haven't used anything else since I opened up the account.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I don't get it?

Email, contacts, calendar, iDisk, iGallery, find my iPhone. Am I missing anything?

For the first three - free, free, free (and sync'd across multiple devices, platforms and agnostic to change).
In place of iDisk might I suggest Evernote and Dropbox, free for lite needs. There's also mediafire for serious needs in a free and pro version.
For the gallery there are practical bandwidth constraints of a cloud based photo album. I don't think you can avoid offloading picture files. But for cloud purposes facebook serves me and again free and share-able across platforms. (and yes I for one, dread the prospect of Apple acquiring fbook).

The last feature; remote wipe/find is of value but at $70/yr as a security blanket, no thanks. Loss/theft technically are covered in my home insurance policy.

At a minimum I use the passcode and have the erase data on. Also with Longtitude I can find this phone within 50m in the city and while on signal, every 15mins.

Also, my carrier will let me report the IMEI as lost or stolen thereby killing this phone on that carrier. At least in Canada.

For me the only worthwhile sub-feature is remote wipe. Would someone recommend a cydia app for the remote wipe please.

The above list might seem like too much pain but actually its a moments effort that works across PC, mac, iPhone, Android, Blackberry. This alone makes it superior, nevermind comments of "not as good".

For that matter, I've had one email address for 14 years now. Does MM let you alias that identity or do you have to relocate?

Sorry to say but MM seems like a rip to me. Again per my opening, did I miss something in the list of services?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Here's a cost effective security feature from Cydia, iGotYa. Takes a pic from the front facing cam and emails it to you along with location coordinates when a failed passcode is entered.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I don't get it?

Email, contacts, calendar, iDisk, iGallery, find my iPhone. Am I missing anything?

For the first three - free, free, free (and sync'd across multiple devices, platforms and agnostic to change).
In place of iDisk might I suggest Evernote and Dropbox, free for lite needs. There's also mediafire for serious needs in a free and pro version.
For the gallery there are practical bandwidth constraints of a cloud based photo album. I don't think you can avoid offloading picture files. But for cloud purposes facebook serves me and again free and share-able across platforms. (and yes I for one, dread the prospect of Apple acquiring fbook).

The last feature; remote wipe/find is of value but at $70/yr as a security blanket, no thanks. Loss/theft technically are covered in my home insurance policy.

At a minimum I use the passcode and have the erase data on. Also with Longtitude I can find this phone within 50m in the city and while on signal, every 15mins.

Also, my carrier will let me report the IMEI as lost or stolen thereby killing this phone on that carrier. At least in Canada.

For me the only worthwhile sub-feature is remote wipe. Would someone recommend a cydia app for the remote wipe please.

The above list might seem like too much pain but actually its a moments effort that works across PC, mac, iPhone, Android, Blackberry. This alone makes it superior, nevermind comments of "not as good".

For that matter, I've had one email address for over 15 years now. Does MM let you alias that identity or do you have to relocate?

Sorry to say but MM seems like a rip to me. Again per my opening, did I miss something in the list of services?

I'm impressed...You wrote all that on your iPhone?

dAMN!

iusoloman

Bronze
Jul 13, 2010
Here's a cost effective security feature from Cydia, iGotYa. Takes a pic from the front facing cam and emails it to you along with location coordinates when a failed passcode is entered.

Very nice. A great addition for my iPhone. Thnx iP5.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm impressed...You wrote all that on your iPhone?

dAMN!
I do like how the EIC app updates and flags threads versus tapatalk on Android. Plus currently I keep the toddler company and my wife has our infant. Making swype near impossible as he rolls about and uses my collar as a security blanket. LOL.
But my wife has been complaining about using her phone in the evenings. Oh well.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska

So far the picture taking and email features haven't worked for me - or many others. And it is a $5 App.

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
So far the picture taking and email features haven't worked for me - or many others. And it is a $5 App.
The concept is great, but i also read posts elsewhere that suggested it doesn't work very consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I do like how the EIC app updates and flags threads versus tapatalk on Android. Plus currently I keep the toddler company and my wife has our infant. Making swype near impossible as he rolls about and uses my collar as a security blanket. LOL.
But my wife has been complaining about using her phone in the evenings. Oh well.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Hey, hey! Whats this nexus one stuff about?lol

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't get it?

For that matter, I've had one email address for over 15 years now. Does MM let you alias that identity or do you have to relocate?

I think my time is worth more to me than cobbling together all of those various solutions that have their own logins, issues, etc. And it doesn't do the thing I like second to most about MM: find my iPhone. Dismiss it if you want but it is a nice thing to have. People have insurance on their cars but it doesn't mean there isn't a market for lo jack.

The thing I like most is being able to sync to Outlook from all of my PCs and laptop, and iPad AND iPhone. While I can sync Google Calendar to my iPhone and iPad, it is not as easy to sync to Outlook.

When I looked for a Google solution to Outlook I found I had to buy a premium Google account for, ironically enough, $50 per year. Same thing I pay for MobileMe.

And while there are probably other third party Outlook to Google sync options, I am ALREADY pleased with how well MobileMe handles it. I have pulled my hair out using many sync solutions. MobileMe was not one of them: it just worked.

Michael

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
MobileMe is just premium features for your iPhone, what do you expect if it's a little over-priced, they are premium and not essential for a reason. + The service is handled by Apple, so you know it's good quality. I think the Phone Tracker software and Email is worth the money, and you get more then you bargained for. :D

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I think my time is worth more to me than cobbling together all of those various solutions that have their own logins, issues, etc. And it doesn't do the thing I like second to most about MM: find my iPhone. Dismiss it if you want but it is a nice thing to have. People have insurance on their cars but it doesn't mean there isn't a market for lo jack.

The thing I like most is being able to sync to Outlook from all of my PCs and laptop, and iPad AND iPhone. While I can sync Google Calendar to my iPhone and iPad, it is not as easy to sync to Outlook.

When I looked for a Google solution to Outlook I found I had to buy a premium Google account for, ironically enough, $50 per year. Same thing I pay for MobileMe.

And while there are probably other third party Outlook to Google sync options, I am ALREADY pleased with how well MobileMe handles it. I have pulled my hair out using many sync solutions. MobileMe was not one of them: it just worked.

Michael
I strongly sympathize with being able keep your email the way you want/need it. Though I'm now a google advocate, my email is still homed to hotmail having been there since hotmail's inception. You can imagine how I was pulling my hair out at having to cobble a solution to co-exist with google after moving away from the BB as my primary phone.
I'm actually quite surprised that MM is the solution that marries Outlook and Google. Great that it serves you well.

The "find my iPhone" service. Can you go on the road with another iPhone and track your missing iPhone as it's moving about?

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I tried using MM,especially the sync function for calendars, contacts etc and it didn't work out for me. I use google to sync with my Microsoft calendars and contacts and it works perfectly. That being said we have the family dicounted MM plan and I consider it cheap insurance to have the locator to cover 2 iPads, a 3gs and an iPhone 4.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
The "find my iPhone" service. Can you go on the road with another iPhone and track your missing iPhone as it's moving about?
Yes. It's best if the other iPhone or iPad has the Find My iPhone App installed (free).

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
Yes. It's best if the other iPhone or iPad has the Find My iPhone App installed (free).
Interestingly, this feature is more accurate on 3G than wifi. If my iPhone is on 3G, it will find the exact parcel/address. But the wifi iPad is usually a street over. ( yes, I like to play with this, so what?)

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Interestingly, this feature is more accurate on 3G than wifi. If my iPhone is on 3G, it will find the exact parcel/address. But the wifi iPad is usually a street over. ( yes, I like to play with this, so what?)
You mean if the iPhone you are tracking is on 3G or if the one you are using to find the lost iPhone is on 3G?